Front Diff Fluid

75w-90 Mobil 1 Synthetic here.

Just watch your vent tube for wetness.

On the Z71 they came with synthetic in the rear diff and reg gear oil in the front.

When switching to synthetic they recommended switching the diff vent to one from a 2500HD(presumably that came with synthetic). It is a thread in plug with a nipple on it for the vent tube. The new part was white instead of black.

I think it had to do with fluid seeping up the tube or something but cant find the TSB.

I have the part # somewhere just not sure if it applies to the SS.

Thanks for the info. I PM'd mister P, and he corrected agreed with the 75W-90 also. Did the front diff yesterday, truck has 52,000 and I am pretty sure it was never done :eek: As for the rear, it's next, but I was given the wrong gasket so gonna have to wait till tomorrow. (PS: Advanced Auto sucks... took it back and they told me that was the right one (per their PC). It was a 9.5 in, 14 bolt gasket. So I asked for the right gasket and they told me it was... AHHHH) No more going there...

Thanks for the info. I PM'd mister P, and he corrected agreed with the 75W-90 also. Did the front diff yesterday, truck has 52,000 and I am pretty sure it was never done  :eek:  As for the rear, it's next, but I was given the wrong gasket so gonna have to wait till tomorrow. (PS: Advanced Auto sucks... took it back and they told me that was the right one (per their PC). It was a 9.5 in, 14 bolt gasket. So I asked for the right gasket and they told me it was... AHHHH) No more going there...

You need to check out the how-to by MrP. I work part time at Advance, and the computer lists only the 9.5 rear axle as an option. Here is a copy of my post:

Ok so you've decide to pull the rear diff cover and clean it out. If you want a new gasket you'll need Felpro pn# RDS55028 . At Advance our computer only lists a 9.5 ring gear. So I went back a couple of years and looked one up for a 98 Silverado with a 8.5 inch ring gear. MisterP informed me that it is really a 8.6 but the 8.5 gasket works great. BTW the gasket costs like $3.49 . Later

Dave

Of course you need to know what you need. I'm not trying to step on your toes, but you need to be armed with a little more info when you go in. I get customers all the time that ask for the wrong thing or don't know what size motor they have...etc. You know they swear they told me different when they come back. I am a ASE certified parts-pro and yes I do know what a paper catalog is! Anyway I wasn't trying to sound like an ahole or anything, you have to realize most of those guys are just button pushers...GIGO Garbage in garbage out. Good luck and don't stop shopping at Advance....Autozone is worse :jester: J/K but better luck next time.

Dave

I get customers all the time that ask for the wrong thing or don't know what size motor they have...etc. You know they swear they told me different when they come back. I am a ASE certified parts-pro and yes I do know what a paper catalog is! Anyway I wasn't trying to sound like an ahole or anything

Dave

You don't sound like an ahole, I do appreciate the info though. Fortunately,I do know what motor I have.. I was just pissed when the guy insisted it was the right gasket... I'll shop at Advanced due to it being local to me, but only if I know exactly what I want, cause they always give me the wrong part. The last time I went they gave me the wrong oil filter- not so difficult. (again I relied on them.)

Mister P. : I think Advanced is the most un-informed... I think AutoZone is the biggest scam, always trying to push parts on to me that I don't need. JMO

I agree with Advance Auto Parts being a bunch of :mad:

I was doing U-joints on my wife's blazer, and they gave me the wrong damn joints. 1/2 hour ride each way...

Parts Guy: Can I help you?

Me: Nope, just need to return these joints.

PG: Didn't need them?

M: Y'all gave me the wrong ones.

PG: Oh! Well let me get you the right ones!

M: Don't bother, AutoZone was able to get me the right ones the first time.

So instead of storming in there and ripping off the guy's skull, I will just no longer do business there. Hurting their bottom line is the best revenge I can think of!

Yeah I have to agree about being picky. I've spent about $30k at Advance in 3 years. I'm like the #2 customer there along with working there part time. I do have to admit that some of the douche bags we have working there would make me want to never come back...but our Autozone is worse! One of my good friends is the manager over there, and I know 1 other person that works there. Needless to say those are the guys I talk to. Anyway, if the parts stores would pay a little more, maybe they could scrape up someone who knows a piston ring from a u-joint. I would be the first one not to shop somewhere where the service was crappy. I especially hate it when they tell you what you have. I do take pleasure in making the parts guy feel dumb when I rattle off a part number or strut my car knowledge .

Your best bet is to go to the parts store with the mind set that those working there don't know a lot about cars. Be patient, I've never seen anyone give out the wrong part on purpose. Waiting in line sucks, but it also sucks when you have 10 people in front of you and the next guy wants a tune up, brakes, shocks, and a front end rebuild kit for a 72 pinto or something crazy like that. Your best bet is to zero in on the most knowledgeable parts guy and find out when they'll be there. Go and buy from that guy and you'll be ok! Anyway just a little view from the other side of the counter. Later

Dave

[

Mister P. : I think Advanced is the most un-informed... I think AutoZone is the biggest scam, always trying to push parts on to me that I don't need. JMO

Advance has a far better computer system, windows based with pictures of the part. We are pretty well informed, but you have to find someone who hasn't been burned out...they do tend to use you up. Anyway just shop where you please, maybe if business goes down enough they will make a change. They do watch their bottom line very closely. Later

Dave

75w-90 Mobil 1 Synthetic here.

Just watch your vent tube for wetness.

On the Z71 they came with synthetic in the rear diff and reg gear oil in the front.

When switching to synthetic they recommended switching the diff vent to one from a 2500HD(presumably that came with synthetic). It is a thread in plug with a nipple on it for the vent tube. The new part was white instead of black.

I think it had to do with fluid seeping up the tube or something but cant find the TSB.

I have the part # somewhere just not sure if it applies to the SS.

I bookmarked this off this site a few days back, can't remember who to give credit to. Mine already had the white connector, so I didn't have to switch it out. I changed my front diff. fluid tonight to Mobil 1 75W90 and so far the front growl is gone!

http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/images/is...3e.html#story13

yeary03SS:

I also had the white connector already in the front diff from the factory, did the front fluid the other day and the growl is almost entirely gone.... still there a little

wasted income:

Well you convo went better than mine when you returned with the wrong part. I gave them back the gasket (9.5 in) and said I would like the right one. I just wanted to do the rear. So the guy proceeded to tell me that it was the right one and only offered to give me my money back. Was not interested in looking into it for me. AAHHH. So I got my money back; but do not appreciate blatant ignorance. So needless to say I will not go there again.

Bowtie70SS:

I called aroound using you part number for the gasket and had no luck with Advanced or AutoZone. The girl I spoke with at Autozone got frustrated looking for it over the phone and told me "I hate trucks". Now come on here, what the h*ll kind of person at a parts store would say that. So do you think Permatex Ultra Gray will suffice. I am nervous about using anything but a real gasket.

Called the local chevy dealer, supposed to be good people. The guy proceeded to tell me that my read end couldn't be a G80 cause that is limited slip. Then said "well if you think that's what you have then I have the gasket". Again AHHHH :banghead:

... The girl I spoke with at Autozone got frustrated looking for it over the phone and told me "I hate trucks". Now come on here, what the h*ll kind of person at a parts store would say that. ...

Not a girl from Texas, I assure you.

:banghead: Dude sounds like you've fallen into the Twilight Zone. Whether the diff inside is limited slip or not it's the same axle housing, and a carryover from the 8.5" in the late nineties; they've been making the damn thing for 10 years now at least. Yes you can splooge it and it will work fine, but I agree use a gasket - take the cover with you next time you are shopping.

So do you think Permatex Ultra Gray will suffice. I am nervous about using anything but a real gasket.

If I were you, I'd use PERMATEX ULTRA BLACK Gasket Maker. I've never used anything other than RTV when re-sealing the diff cover, and I've never had a problem. My buddys and I all used it on our wheeling rigs in college, and if it can keep it sealed when dunking a hot axle in cold water, it will stay sealed on a street rig.

IMO, buying the gasket is a waste of money (since you can use the left over RTV for other projects, too.)

-

Not a girl from Texas, I assure you.

:banghead:  Dude sounds like you've fallen into the Twilight Zone.  Whether the diff inside is limited slip or not it's the same axle housing, and a carryover from the 8.5" in the late nineties; they've been making the damn thing for 10 years now at least.  Yes you can splooge it and it will work fine, but I agree use a gasket - take the cover with you next time you are shopping.

Well we all know that Texas girls are just better... no it's not an opinion, it's fact.. :D I have RTV and Black Permatex layin around (work on the ATV constantly), just prefer the gasket. The GM dealer want $6.** for one. I really don't care at this point, just have to wait till Friday so I can get there. I would prefer the gasket. Sure I save a little $$ with silicone, but if I screw it up I'll lose $27 in fluid...

Archived