Front Diff Fluid

yeary03SS:

I also had the white connector already in the front diff from the factory, did the front fluid the other day and the growl is almost entirely gone.... still there a little

wasted income:

Well you convo went better than mine when you returned with the wrong part. I gave them back the gasket (9.5 in) and said I would like the right one. I just wanted to do the rear. So the guy proceeded to tell me that it was the right one and only offered to give me my money back. Was not interested in looking into it for me. AAHHH. So I got my money back; but do not appreciate blatant ignorance. So needless to say I will not go there again.

Bowtie70SS:

I called aroound using you part number for the gasket and had no luck with Advanced or AutoZone. The girl I spoke with at Autozone got frustrated looking for it over the phone and told me "I hate trucks". Now come on here, what the h*ll kind of person at a parts store would say that. So do you think Permatex Ultra Gray will suffice. I am nervous about using anything but a real gasket.

Called the local chevy dealer, supposed to be good people. The guy proceeded to tell me that my read end couldn't be a G80 cause that is limited slip. Then said "well if you think that's what you have then I have the gasket". Again AHHHH  :banghead:

:cool: I gave you the part number FELPRO RDS55028 ($3 and change). If your parts store monkey can't punch that in the computer...or better yet can't waddle into the back and find it, talk to their manager. That stuff infuriates me too! Good luck.

Dave

:cool: I gave you the part number FELPRO RDS55028 ($3 and change). If your parts store monkey can't punch that in the computer...or better yet can't waddle into the back and find it, talk to their manager. That stuff infuriates me too! Good luck.

Dave

I took that number, and called 3 Advanced Auto Stores, 2 Autozone, 1 NAPA and none of them had or could get supposedly... it is not supposed to be this difficult. I am gonna try one other store now before I pay $6 something/ lose my freakin mind....

Dave,

Finally I found the gasket at an Advanced Auto. The part # RDS55028 wasn't working still... Here it was listed as RDS55028-1. But everywhere else I looked/ called has the rear diff gasket as a 9.5" ring gear, 14 bolt.. wonder why?

Ron

Dave,

Finally I found the gasket at an Advanced Auto. The part # RDS55028 wasn't working still... Here it was listed as RDS55028-1. But everywhere else I looked/ called has the rear diff gasket as a 9.5" ring gear, 14 bolt.. wonder why?

Ron

:confused: I get a brain fart every now and then....I forgot to add the one on the end. A lot of those gaskets have a -1 or -2 or something on the end. However a parts guy shouldn't have had a problem finding it, of course that requires walking to the back. Oh well sorry if I coused you extra frustration. Later

Dave

Dave,

Ron

:confused: I get a brain fart every now and then....I forgot to add the one on the end. A lot of those gaskets have a -1 or -2 or something on the end. However a parts guy shouldn't have had a problem finding it, of course that requires walking to the back. Oh well sorry if I coused you extra frustration. Later

Dave

No frustration caused by you. I had them also looking up the gasket for a 98 Silverado 4X4 and they were telling me they couldn't get that... ha ha... it got to the point where you had to laugh. I did the rear last night and was glad I had the gasket caused I ripped it tryin' to pull it off enough to drain.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

No matter what type of paper gasket, or silly cone you use, cleanliness is next to Godliness! Just be sure to remove all of the traces of original gasket on both the housing and cover sides, and clean with brake cleaner or high flash point solvent before resealing. Don't gouge the mating surfaces with scrapers or anything when prying off the cover either.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! Sometimes the gasket thickness is engineered into the overall fitment of the cover, so bear that in mind in other projects. Such is the case in bearing caps, clutch covers etc.... if there is a thrust surface involved it is always best to use the factory called for gaskets and use them the way the manual suggests!

:pop::pop:

Archived