first time at track

chpspecial

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
found a problems, exhaust valve on cylinder #7 is bent. maybe others.  This actually makes me feel better now.

can you see what caused the valve to bend? :smash:

actually, the valve is not bent, just burned and it also burned the valve guide, so that is what was making the noise, now i have to wait untill a machine shop opens next week to get the valve guide replaced.

• 2 weeks later...
found a problems, exhaust valve on cylinder #7 is bent. maybe others.  This actually makes me feel better now.

can you see what caused the valve to bend? :smash:

actually, the valve is not bent, just burned and it also burned the valve guide, so that is what was making the noise, now i have to wait untill a machine shop opens next week to get the valve guide replaced.

sounds like it ran lean. you need to find out why. my 1990 silverado is pretty quick (check my signature) and it will lean out on launch if i don't run over a 1/2-tank of gas. since this happend after you got your truck to launch harder it might need more gas in the tank also. :dunno:

Will do, being as it happend on the last run, i imagine i used up the gas and is what made the difference, as for now im just waiting on the headbolts to come in, they have been on back order so i cant put the truck back together. However i used this time to install an LC-1 wideband to monitor those pesky A/F ratios. Its hard wired to the truck and i had the O2 bung welded in the drivers side exhaust, right below the original O2, clocked to the left above the cat.

Will do, being as it happend on the last run, i imagine i used up the gas and is what made the difference, as for now im just waiting on the headbolts to come in, they have been on back order so i cant put the truck back together.  However i used this time to install an LC-1 wideband to monitor those pesky A/F ratios. Its hard wired to the truck and i had the O2 bung welded in the drivers side exhaust, right below the original O2, clocked to the left above the cat.

Should go with some ARP head studs also. Lifting heads is pretty common among blown applications. Just a recommendation.

Will do, being as it happend on the last run, i imagine i used up the gas and is what made the difference, as for now im just waiting on the headbolts to come in, they have been on back order so i cant put the truck back together.  However i used this time to install an LC-1 wideband to monitor those pesky A/F ratios. Its hard wired to the truck and i had the O2 bung welded in the drivers side exhaust, right below the original O2, clocked to the left above the cat.

any progress? :chevy:

Dman my luck, I went to pick up the bolts and i even took my old ones to compare them before i got the new ones. Sure enough he shows me a bag with two bolts and they are the same size as mine. but when i saw that it was only two, I imediatly thought the next eight are going to be the long style bolts. Sure enought they where. He got the old style bolts that have a medium lenght and a long lenght bolts. He though i was just joking when i told him that all of the bolts are the same size because his parts guy doesnt have a part number for the second design bolts. So know im waiting on bolts again.

As for the 14th, I'm going to do everything i can to get some bolts ASAP and get the truck back together. If i get the bolts and the truck is running i'll show up, I dont know if i'll race the truck if i do get her back together. Same goes for the STS meet.

Dman my luck, I went to pick up the bolts and i even took my old ones to compare them before i got the new ones.  Sure enough he shows me a bag with two bolts and they are the same size as mine. but when i saw that it was only two, I imediatly thought the next eight are going to be the long style bolts. Sure enought they where.  He got the old style bolts that have a medium lenght and a long lenght bolts.  He though i was just joking when i told him that all of the bolts are the same size because his parts guy doesnt have a part number for the second design bolts.  So know im waiting on bolts again.

As for the 14th, I'm going to do everything i can to get some bolts ASAP and get the truck back together.  If i get the bolts and the truck is running i'll show up, I dont know if i'll race the truck if i do get her back together.  Same goes for the STS meet.

look HERE for the proper part number for ARP head bolts or HERE for the proper part number for ARP head studs, then call THESE GUYS and order the part number you know is the correct part number for the bolts/studs you want and tell them you want next-day delivery.

Ok fellas, the truck is back together and running. The problems is that at idle cylinders 1 and 5 missfire. all other are ok. when on part throtle there are no missfires. I havent really test driven the truck except to go get some gas, which is only about 1mi. away and there was no missfires. truck ran exelent, no KR either. but at idle the missfires start again. also it set a code but only the p0300 no others. What gives.

I already swaped the plug wires to eliminate them, next i will swap the coil pack and see what that does. Any other suggestions. TIA

lol, this is the same problem i just had last weekend. mine ended up being that one of the wires wasnt making good coontact with the plug, i used the taylor wires and they worked good, no issues with the tog heades.

Ok fellas, the truck is back together and running.  The problems is that at idle cylinders 1 and 5 missfire.  all other are ok.  when on part throtle there are no missfires.  I havent really test driven the truck except to go get some gas, which is only about 1mi.  away and there was no missfires.  truck ran exelent, no KR either. but at idle the missfires start again. also it set a code but only the p0300 no others.  What gives.

I already swaped the plug wires to eliminate them, next i will swap the coil pack and see what that does.  Any other suggestions. TIA

You had low compression on cylinders #1, #5 & #7. You said you found and fixed the problem with #7. What did you find wrong with cylinders #1 & #5 :confused:

QUOTE:

1 has 70psi

2 ... 180

3 ... 175

4 ... 200

5 ... 90

6 ... 205

7 ... 120

8 ... 200

Archived