Mac Intake Systems and JBA Headers

Silvsteve

Anyone know anything about these? Actually found a custom shop down the street and this is all they use. 200 bucks for a cold air intake installed (not that the install is tough). But I know nothing of this company.

Macperformance

And what about JBA headers? Any good? Thig guy seems to think they are the best and he says he can get me a great deal including the install. He also acted like they are completely bolt on, no fabrication. Another easy install.

I think the JBA headers are shorties and are about the same as the stock headers already on the truck. Someone else on the board explained the difference between shorties and long tubes and said if you are looking for more HP long tubes are the way to go.

Can’t find were I read that, still looking…

Anyone know anything about these?  Actually found a custom shop down the street and this is all they use.  200 bucks for a cold air intake installed (not that the install is tough).  But I know nothing of this company.

Macperformance

And what about JBA headers?  Any good?  Thig guy seems to think they are the best and he says he can get me a great deal including the install.  He also acted like they are completely bolt on, no fabrication.  Another easy install.

This is my personal opinion only... here goes. McGuyver the intake. Get your favorite sawsall and cut out the bottom of the intake box. There is your specialty intake and is 90% as good as the $200 intake you would buy from anyone else. You can add the K&N filter at 10, 000 miles for the other 10%.

As for the Headers, unless you do Long Tubes, it is not worth it IMHO. Those JBA shorties will only net you maybe 5-10 HP if you are lucky and for the money, no way. Even some of the LT headers will only get you 15-20 HP on a non modified motor. Besides, you only need all that extra air movement when the motor is running at High revs. 3 best things I did, were 1 McGuyver the intake, 2 buy electric fans and have a custom shop install them, and 3 buy the underdrive pulleys ( with alternator pulley set) for a 6.0l from TByrne and take them to a shop near 183 and Anderson Mill Rd and have them install them. The truck runs differently, now. Breaths all the way up through the RPM range. And the money is less than $1000, total with all the installs.

Again, this is my humble opinion only. I am in no way an expert on what to and not to do to the Chevy Silverado SS to make it run better. Please feel free to disagree with me.

Brent, why did you say to wait until 10K to add the K&N?

use the filter that came with the truck till it out lives its usefullness. When it starts to get dirty and not flow air like it should, buy a K&N at the time of replacement. Sorry. Didn't mean to confuse the issue. It was the practical side of me that got involved. :D

hey brent i do not suppose you have any pictures of your mod on the airbox :jester:

Not yet. I travel a ton for work so being in Austin is rare. The truck spends quite a bit of its life at the Austin airport if you want to see it.

I know I need to get pics going.

Basically, I left the edges of the bottom of the intake box and cut the rest out. So the box sits on the small sill corners and I took out the plate. The rest is open air to the bottom. It seems to me, that that area of the front of the passenger wheel well and superstructure makes almost its own little area away from the rest of the engine compartment. Anyway. Maybe this weekend, I will get enough time to take some photos and I need to find another site to host them for you guys to see.

• 3 weeks later...

Silvsteve, I put on JBA shorty's. Although I like them I am not sure I would go through it again. As far as performance it is really not very noticable, maybe a little. They give you a better sound which is a plus but definately not a must. Mostly all they did for me was make me really want a supercharger, which is on the way.

Sure won't, that is if I ever get it. I talked to tbyrne today and they say it will ship the 11th. When they say it take 1 to 2 weeks to ship they mean it. I ordered it the 25th of August. I really can't see wy it would take MagnaCharger that long to ship it. It doesn't tak almost 3 weeks to program the computer they send me. I guess the suspense is just killing me.

Archived