Are you famous?

a-blur-by-you

I was almost famous. I was on the Dixie Dozen with Payton Manning. I met Johnny Unites(is that spelled right?), Bobby Bowden, Otto Graham when I won the Paul Horning Award He's a Green Bay running back from the first super bowl & Heisman winner. Charlie Ward didn't show up to get his award from Johnny U.(Golden Arm Award or something like that). I met Shawn Alexander(NFL running back) in high school at an awards thing. We both won players of the year in our class and I won the overall award. He's a year yonger than me. He went on to break my single season rushing record(3,044 yards), went to U of AL and is now the leading rusher in the NFL...I think. So I was close to being famous, but injuries stopped me :banghead: . Oh well what can you do? :D

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well....not exactly famous. Anyone in the Tri-State area might know these names. My great grandfather (on my mothers side) started a company called The Pure Foods Inc. He didn't invent it...however he somehow improved on it, and was the first, or one of the first people to start producing, marketing, and distributing Bullion Cubes, under the name Herb-Ox (which can still be found in stores today) (For those that don't know, Bullion Cubes are little cubes that you add to hot water to make instant soup broth). He was also one of the first people to start marketing/distributing frozen Orange Juice.

Some other wierd notes....my great grandfather was born and raised in Germany. At some point or another, he was supposed to have been on BOTH the Hindenburg, and the Titanic, but never made it on either due to unknown circumstances. Once he finally made it to America, he ended up becoming good friends with another German immigrant by the name of Richard Hellmann.

Richard Hellmann owned a deli, and became famous for something most of us keep in the fridge. When it came time for him to mass-market his product (actually...his wifes product), my great Grandfather loaned Richard Hellmann some money to get his factory up and running, so he could start producing Hellmann's Mayonnaise. :D

So....has anyone ever heard of Herb-Ox?...mainly people in the Tri-State area might know of it (older generation mostly) but it was distributed around the country.

Archived