My 1/4 times...finally

Krambo

Well, here they are, I left out the 1000ft times. I was able to improve my E.T. by about 1 second over stock with bolt-ons:

Stock: Mobil 1 Oil, 2,500 miles on the truck

Air temp - 76

60ft. 2.287

330ft. 6.472

1/8 9.882 / 73.96

1/4 15.412 / 87.82

Mods: Granatelli mass air, K&N FPIK, 160 Thermo (no tailgate)

Air temp - 80

60ft. 2.253

330ft. 6.374

1/8 9.787 / 73.21

1/4 15.266 / 88.06

Mods: All the above + ASM headders, (2)hi-flow cats, X-pipe, (2) Flowmaster 40 series. Less gas ~ 30lbs less. Exhaust cut about 25-30lbs also.

Air temp - 78

60ft. 2.198

330ft. 6.098

1/8 9.499 / 73.04

1/4 14.921 / 88.61

Mods: All the above + Wester's PCM and Yank 3000 stall converter. Removed headlight.

Air Temp - 92

60ft. 1.982

330ft. 5.921

1/8 9.233 / 72.93

1/4 14.714 / 88.58

These times are averages of about 4 runs with each group of mods. I did further weight reduction, lighter wheels, power braking etc. and came to these conclusions

1. HEAT kills your time. I saw .2-.3 differences when my truck got hot. Icing the manifold and using Red Line water wetter really helps.

2. Power braking worked when I didn't have the stall converter.

3. Roughly losing 100lbs gives you .1 on the quarter.

4. It is harder to cut a good light with a high stall converter.

My best time: Includes further weight reduction and cooler temps:

Air temp. 82

60ft. 1.890

330ft. 5.911

1/8 9.201/72.66

1/4 14.491 / 89.13 :thumbs:

I am really dissatisified with my 1/4 MPH. Suggestions on improvement?

Need to install my fans and underdrives yet. Not expecting huge gains though.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, you have quite a few bolt ons. I didn't know anyone on here was actually installing mods, I thought we just liked to talk about them. :)

Where are you shift points set right now?

Have you put the spare tire in storage yet?

Now that you have a converter, go ahead and install a cam. A cam may only be worth 30 HP at peak, but after peak, say 6000 rpms, the difference will be huge. On my 99, after installing the little LS6 cam, I had a peak gain of 31 HP (~5300 rpms), but at 6000 rpms, the difference was well over 80 HP between the two cams.

Install pulleys at the same time you install a cam, since you have to take the pulley off for the cam install.

Drop the heavy 20" wheels / tires and get some lower profile tires mounted on a set of stock aluminum silverado wheels. Besides the lighter weight, you'll see good gains from the better gearing.

A 14.5 with a sub 2.00 60' is a respectable time with stock internals. Congrats.

Richard

it seems unfortunatly in street form the truck is meerly a high 14 second ride. i sure haven't been impressed with the westers programming and here is another vehicle using one. overall, i agree with you krambo, it just doesn't seem to be responding to mods well. the whole weight reduction idea is great, but not past the point of how you'd drive it on the street.

Nice times, I agree with BigTex a cam with your converter will really make it jump.

I'll keep saying it.... Without the proper tuning your going to be stuck. Why some people keep hyping Wester's PCM is beyond me. Heck with just tuning I got my SS to trap in the low 90's shift points timing ect.. and get rid of your Granitilli MAF it won't help you at all and could be throwing the Wester's Tune off. :smash: And now that you've got a baseline send me your PCM and I'll program it for nothing(u pay shipping) :pop:

there sure has been alot of talk on that wester's and up until recently i'd never even heard of them. surely not impressed with the product let alone it's price. i'm with you there mn, programming with these trucks is a huge improvement with the right person doing it.

Zippy how can you have an opinion on the westers when as you say until recently you have not heard of them let alone not tried them. The price does not seem to be that much more than if I bought a programer. Westers will change the tuning anytime I want for the price of shipping no questions asked. The only difference is they are doing the tuning not me.

haven't seen any impressive numbers coming out of the programming change like i have with other gen III truck programming changes. having driven the ss also, i felt there was alot to gain in the programming and so far no one has backed up any real good improvements (g-tech numbers out the window here). i'm not so much taking a shot at them, but i see it being pushed heavily and it's not seeming to be "the hot ticket". i'm sure someone yet will back the numbers, but i'll bet it can be topped for less $.

You may be right. I havent seen anyone post anything of intrest on any programers other than the names of the programers yet. If someone finds a programer that can do better than westers and post numbers better than a 1/4 second gain I'll be the next one to buy one. Until then it seems the only proven thing has been westers.

i am along with zippy i feel that westers isn't cracked up to be what its worth, if i wanted to change shift points i wouldn't want to ship my pcm off every time and having to let the truck sit for a few days. i have been a big supporter of hypertech for may years and i will buy one for mine as soon as they come out with one. but thats my opinion every vec. i installed a hypetech programer ganed at least a full sec on the 1/4

I told you guys very early on that it wasn't worth it IMHO!! Read some of my earlier posts. And I'm not knocking Westers, but without a dyno and so few guys getting to the track how are you going to know if it works? I did my testing with a Vericom, basically an expensive version of a G-Tech.

Westers is not at fault, they offer a service and I'm sure are doing their darn best to make improvements. And if someone wants to spend a few hundred for a few HP go ahead. How many guys have put on stuff that costs $$ and doesn't make the truck any faster? Almost everyone I'd bet.

But for almost the same cash you can buy your own copy of LS1 Edit and screw it up yourself.. :P

Archived