My 1/4 times...finally

Krambo

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer your Q's:

Where are you shift points set right now?

Not high enough. 1-2 just about 5700, 2-3 ~ 5500.

Have you put the spare tire in storage yet?

:lol: Not yet.

Now that you have a converter, go ahead and install a cam. A cam may only be worth 30 HP at peak, but after peak, say 6000 rpms, the difference will be huge. On my 99, after installing the little LS6 cam, I had a peak gain of 31 HP (~5300 rpms), but at 6000 rpms, the difference was well over 80 HP between the two cams.

You make it sound so good. I may be placing an order in the near future. Haven't installed a cam in a long time. Last one was an Erson in a 84 Dodge truck (318cid)

A 14.5 with a sub 2.00 60' is a respectable time with stock internals. Congrats.

Would like to be at 14.00 in street trim. Gotta remember this is my daily driver :smash: or I would have done some wild things like some people on this board.

and get rid of your Granitilli MAF it won't help you at all and could be throwing the Wester's Tune off. :smash: And now that you've got a baseline send me your PCM and I'll program it for nothing(u pay shipping) :pop:

The Wester's tune is compensating for the Granatelli mass air sensor. Alot of the mods done to this truck are from my 99 5.3L. ....Trying to justify my previous $$ spent.

Anyway, If you are interested in doing a program tune on my PCM, send me an E-mail and I am sure I can make your time worth while.

[email protected]

I would love to see the diff between the LS1 edit and the westers. The LS1 edit is about a $100.00 more than westers but if it gives better results it would be worth it. Someone stated picking up 1 second just by tuning that sounds good to me maybe to good.

TimB - No way you can get 1 second from tuning. Well, at least not on a near stock vehicle. I could see gaining 1 second if you were running a wicked cam, more cubes, upgraded injectors...all on a stock tune. But otherwise no way. I'd say you'd be lucky to squeeze out a couple of tenths. Tuning really makes a difference when you have lots of mods and some internal engine work (or forced induction).

Krambo - Cam swaps on these LSx motors are pretty easy. You can get the cam swapped and springs updgraded in an afternoon. You will want a 2nd person to help with the cam part to make it go a little quicker and safer. Take a look here for some good info: http://www.ls1howto.com

I totally understand about this being your daily driver. As long as you don't go with a super aggressive cam, you can walk the line between daily driver and performance. My LS6 cam gave me power, it idled great and made a great team with my Yank. Take a look at this dyno, it shows my 5.3 before and after the cam. The dyno run starts at about 4200 rpms. Look at the extra power from 4500 to 6200 rpms. My truck was basically stock.

LS6 Cam install dyno

This one is after headers and exhaust and some other bolt ons.

LS6 cam with headers and bolt ons

Take a look here for some good info: http://www.ls1howto.com

I totally understand about this being your daily driver. As long as you don't go with a super aggressive cam, you can walk the line between daily driver and performance

Sounds very convincing.

Do you feel that the LS-6 cammed LQ-9 will pass the sniff test at inspection? I would think so however just would like more info.

This is making for a great thread! :thumbs:

Krambo this should be named the Lets go fast Thread. Im excited about your times with what youve done sofar. This does give hope of Low 14's maybe high 13's without SC. Im trying to what I can and paying attention to all. All I need is proof of what is working which you have done. Some people expect huge jumps but being relistic I think you are headed down the right path :thumbs:

Lets talk LS6 cams.

What is the difference between the 01, 02, 03? Numbers?

Would the stock valves in the LQ9 hold up with the higher lift or would a performance valve be needed. (titanium, hollow...) Obviously a spring change is in order.

Would the LS6 or the Holley intake be a nice improvement with the new cam?

Are LS6 Heads worth the $$$

Estimated cost of cam, springs. (need a reprogram also)

The 01 LS6 cam is different from the 02+ LS6 cam. this is what gives the 20 hp increase in the motor from those years.

I am planning on using the newer LS6 cam with the procharger because that cam seems to be a very blower friendly cam.

I dont remember the exact differences in the specs of the cam but Im sure Bigtex will post them.

Also I dont think we can run the LS6/Holley intakes because we have a different belt setup on the motor, If you switched over to a LS1 style belt system then it will definately work, but im not sure about the truck setup. I dont think this mod will be worthwhile anyways because it will move your powerband up and you will lose some torque. Id stick with the truck style intake.

Also the LS6 heads wouldnt be worth it either, our heads are very very similar to the LS6 heads, almost identical. If you are gonna put some money into heads, have the work done to yours, you will see a bigger benefit that way than by throwing on a different set of stock heads.

Finally there is some interesting talk going on here. Its nice to see that people are actually doing performance things to the trucks.

BTW, my TT3000 is going in tonight :D

Also, LS1 Edit is not something that you load into the PCM and drive off happy.

It is a FULL programmer, leaving everything up to you. You take the stock parameters and modify them to your liking, if you dont know what you are doing, it definately is not a good thing to try. Do a lot of research before you try and do it. I am going to get the Edit and have a shop do the tuning for me, this way i get the custom tune i need for the Procharger, but when i get the LS6 cam, i can do the fine tuning needed to optimize my setup for that cam, also that way i can do any minor adjustments that I may need to get done. I have never used it before and dont want to find out the hard way that I dont know what I'm doing. Id rather watch someone do it first so that way I have a better feel for whats going on.

I wish those guys that no what their doing lived in Socal. . .

tim, with my last trucks i used the hypertech programer, had a 00 silverado 5.3 ran in high 17s with out hypertech then ran mid 16s with it. also had a 00 ZR2 blazer with 4.3 would run like 18.9 then with hypertech ran 18.0.. only mods to both were the hypertech programer. i have been using hypertech products since 96 and have been pleased with all of them.

How many people are using LS1 edit and how much does it cost.

That's one thing about Lyndon is that he hasn't had an SS to test with. If I had the proper knowledge and felt comfortable doing it, it'd be LS1 Edit all the way. I just don't want to screw something up on my one and only daily driver. JMHO.

In a perfect world, I would get plenty of track time, run with the Westers, save that program off, and then tune with the LS1Edit to see what can be done. Too bad the world isn't perfect though.

Archived