Lowering kits? anyone

isilopez

lopez - welcome to the site and congrats on the new truck. You have good taste, although your choice in color....... I noticed in your modification data you listed hypertech, but didn't think it was available yet?. Is this a "future" mod? Good to have another from FL on here. We have a few, too bad we're so spread out.

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of people are going with shackles in the rear and torsion keys/cranking the torsion bars down in the front. I just ordered my rear shackles and I'm going to first try cranking the torsion bars down. If the ride is too soft I'll get the torsion keys. There is a little debate as far as shimming the rear goes. Some have had luck(no vibration) with not shimming it at all. GroundForce is the only one making a kit for the SS, a couple people here have it so far. It is available from SummitRacing.com, you'll have to call them because it's a special order item. It's $365 shipped and includes torsion keys, rear shackles, bumpstops, and 4 new shocks.

Depending on how you do it, if you lower it just loosening the front torsion bars, cut the snubbers so that it barely touches the lower aframe. Just like it comes from the factory.

You can give yourself about an inch clearance but it rides to soft in front for me. I like it a little stiff. Afterall, I bought a Super Sport not a Cadillac.

I'm thinking of taking off the overload spring(short/little leaf) in the back too to make it a little softer so it doesn't ride like a bucking bronco over expansion joints and concrete highways. It may or may not work. Just have to get time to do it and still have enough time to put it back in case it doesn't work.

I think I've posted this in other threads, but I'll say it again. Unscrewing the stock torsion bar keys is the exact same as replacing them with different keys. The only benefit for changing the keys is to allow you to drop the front end more than the stock key would allow. If you want to see how you'd like it, lower the front with the stock keys first. If ride is OK and you want more drop, then buy replacement keys.

I'm thinking of taking off the overload spring(short/little leaf) in the back too to make it a little softer so it doesn't ride like a bucking bronco over expansion joints and concrete highways. It may or may not work. Just have to get time to do it and still have enough time to put it back in case it doesn't work.

I'm intrested in this too. I've wondered about that, but worried about possible problems. Keep me updated please!

• 3 weeks later...
I think I've posted this in other threads, but I'll say it again. Unscrewing the stock torsion bar keys is the exact same as replacing them with different keys. The only benefit for changing the keys is to allow you to drop the front end more than the stock key would allow. If you want to see how you'd like it, lower the front with the stock keys first. If ride is OK and you want more drop, then buy replacement keys.

This isn't what I've been told by shops. I've been told that taking the ride height down with torsion bar adjustment loosens up the ride, making it more sloppy. Raising ride height tightens up the ride. Depending on the vehicle, you get between 1.5" and 3" to play with. Using torsion bar keys keeps stock ride at a different height, i.e. places the torsion bar centerpoint at a new default.

Please confirm or correct this info I've been given.

Some of the community lowered rides are awesome even though there black or red... :D

I'm interested too :rolleyes: , but worried it may affect my towing capacity :shakehead: .

My buddy had a bad experience with Dakota R/T, factory claimed 6,500lb tow capacity and then revised it because lowered supsension dropped capacity to handle 1,000lb.

Dodge wound up refunding my friends truck.

Also one of the reasons I did not buy the Harley F-150 :smash: was because the 8,000 lb tow capacity dropped to 4,000 with the lowered Harley. What was I thinking FORD :puke:

Just being a member with you guys :cheers: only confirms I bought the right truck... :thumbs:

Anyhow does anyone know how much tow oomph we lose if lowered??

Dr Mike :cool:

• 3 months later...

Archived