The X Pipe

WANNARACEMYSS

Well my story is....

I went from the factory exhaust (which is almost identical to the SSS) to a custom bent true dual exhaust system. Sounded great and felt stronger on the top end, but it definitely lost some on the bottom end to mid range. Later I decided I didn't like the side exit true duals and decided to try dumps. Around that time I got an X-pipe from a friend... so I added it to the system and cut off the tailpipes and put on some turn downs. WOW! The bottom end came back and the mid range improved, while the high end stayed about the same as with the true duals. And even though I went to dumps the system didn't really seem to sound louder, just different. I'm sold on them.

DSC01371.JPG

ive always liked the "clean" look of no tailpipes... warning however... you can get a ticket for "no tailpipe" my buddy just got one the other night on his dumped s-10

looking good tho man! nice welds!

I know that the X pipe is suppose to be set at a certain distance from the manifolds. How do you go about finding that? What I was planing is, I have the magnaflow dual in single out exhaust. Where it bolts up to the factory pipe it has resonators, and I was going to remove them to help out making the exhaust a bit louder. Thinking while I do this adding in the X pipe in place as well.

Anyone think this maybe to close to?

ive always liked the "clean" look of no tailpipes... warning however... you can get a ticket for "no tailpipe" my buddy just got one the other night on his dumped s-10

I wonder what that is all about??? I wonder why?

I want to get a louder exhaust-but I dont want it to sound like junk in the truck, will an X-pipe help/hinder keeping interior sound down??

When I was looking into mufflers I talked with Don at Flo~Pro about this. He told me that an x-pipe is not required (or helpful) on a dual in muffler. There is plenty of cross flow between the pipes inside the muffler. For dual muffler setups, the concensus (on this site) has always been very positive for those adding an x-pipe.

I wonder what that is all about??? I wonder why?

I want to get a louder exhaust-but I dont want it to sound like junk in the truck, will an X-pipe help/hinder keeping interior sound down??

The resonance I was getting before went away when I changed my set up. Little louder and a lot deeper rumble outside, inside it's 100 times better. I don't know which one contributed to this since I did the x-pipe and dumped it at the same time. I think it was a combination of both.

looking good tho man! nice welds!

That could be because his pipes didn't come far enough past the cab? :dunno: The law varies by state but as I understand it, generally 12"-18" behind the cab is the minimum distance for the exhaust to exit. Mine dump at about the middle of the bed, around 30"-36" behind the cab.

Archived