Need Help with radix

The problem was fixed a couple days ago. I just wanted to make sure no problems came back. The truck was taken to a local automotive performance engineering group (close friends of ours) and they worked their magic and fixed it. They are pretty closed lipped about the fix. The problem dealt with a "global" reset causing all modules to relink. During this time, the accessories were going haywire (gauges dropping, heater misbeahving, mirrors dropping, etc.). Our problem was not typical of the MagnaCharger kit!

MagnaCharger was extremely reponsive and I still trust their product. For your info, I write for Chevy High Perfromance magazine and we are doing a before and after radix supercharger article. We have before track and dyno results. In about 2 weeks we will have after dyno and track time results.

I would like to do a follow up article (not approved yet) showing the before and after track and dyno results for an air box mod, electric fans, and new exhaust (each one individually tested).

If you have any other thoughts let me know and I'll see if I can make it happen.

I am guessing the download to the PCM got glitched and they had to do a complete reload.

Be sure and let us know when the article comes out. I would love to read that and see how it compares to my experience. Are you guys located in SoCal? Which track are you using for testing LACR?

BlackHawk,

Yes, it is a Silverado SS. The same automotive performance engineering company that helped us with our glitch is providing the dynoing equipment. I am using similar equipment that I used in a previous article that I compared mustang and dynojet dyno results. The truck will be loaded with the same load as it sees on the road so proper drivetrain losses are experinced.

There are mutilple products out there that can measure HP and torque (i.e., homedyno, streetdyno, Gtech Pro competition, AP-22, etc.). I'm not sure I trust the PCM's calculated load torque value. These tools are only as good as the operator - just like a chassis dyno operator!

About 2 years ago I used the homedyno and I gave Mike Chaney a circuit schematic that converts the LS1 short ignition pulse to a longer pulse to permit repeatable sampling. I thought he was going to post it on his site. I'm not sure if the Silverado has the same short spark pulse or not, but you'll need the circuit if it does.

MN C5,

If you read some of my other articles I mention this company in the article body. However, their contact info never appears in the sources section. They simply don't want to be bugged with hundreds of calls.

Them being closed lipped sounds like BS to you? OK fine - you are entitled to your opinion. These folks did me a big favor by helping us out. They normally get $200/hr. For 4 free ours - I'm very thankful. I recognized that they wanted to keep their solution to themselves - so I wasn't going to pressure them. They design all of their own equipment and want to protect their intellectual property. Here is what I think I heard them say when the truck was returned:

1) The communications network was receiving a periodic improper protocol (or data???) forcing a communications interruption (or sending a re-link command - not sure???). This forced the modules to re-establish (or reset) their communications link. During this event is when we saw the anomalies. This is why it seemed that everything went bad at the same time.

2) The source of the improper communication was isolated and "repaired".

3) The original programmer and the truck are now fine.

Now you know what I know. I don't know from where the re-link command originated. My guess is that if they gave the technical details of the command, the origin, and the fix, practically no one here, no GM techs, and not even myself would be able to do anything with it. If it was something straight forward (i.e., o-ring on the FPR, vacuum leak, etc.) then I would have pressed them to share the details. Unless you have a network analyzer for the GM system, understand the operation of the >20 on-board computers, and some other equipment the solution is way beyond most of us.

---

dcairns,

I'm a freelance. I work out of Pa.

We will be testing at Pittsburgh Raceway (old Keystone Raceway).

---

FYI,

Last night we did some preliminary dyno measurements. The S-trims haven't settled out yet, so the results are preliminary. We saw a 35% HP increase.

For those of you who have a radix you be should getting a letter to get your programmer revised with an updated program. This has nothing to do with our problem - honestly! I think you'll be happy with the new tuning especially down low!

ChevyHighPerformance:

Cool, I am excited about reading these articles. Update on your progress when you can and if you run into any problems there are a few individuals on this site that I am sure can help you out or give suggestions.

Also doing before and after dyno testing and track runs between bolt on mods is a really great idea than anyone of us here would love to be able to do. Since you seem to have the resources to do so, you will be helping out allot of people as well as doing allot of PR work for the mag you write for… :thumbs:

It’s great to have a freelance here and not a media clone… :D

:pop:

MN C5,

If you read some of my other articles I mention this company in the article body.  However, their contact info never appears in the sources section.  They simply don't want to be bugged with hundreds of calls. 

Them being closed lipped sounds like BS to you?  OK fine - you are entitled to your opinion.  These folks did me a big favor by helping us out.  They normally get $200/hr.  For 4 free ours - I'm very thankful.  I recognized that they wanted to keep their solution to themselves - so I wasn't going to pressure them.  They design all of their own equipment and want to protect their intellectual property.  Here is what I think I heard them say when the truck was returned:

1)  The communications network was receiving a periodic improper protocol (or data???) forcing a communications interruption (or sending a re-link command - not sure???).  This forced the modules to re-establish (or reset) their communications link.  During this event is when we saw the anomalies.  This is why it seemed that everything went bad at the same time. 

2)  The source of the improper communication was isolated and "repaired".

3)  The original programmer and the truck are now fine.

Now you know what I know.  I don't know from where the re-link command originated.  My guess is that if they gave the technical details of the command, the origin, and the fix, practically no one here, no GM techs, and not even myself would be able to do anything with it.  If it was something straight forward (i.e., o-ring on the FPR, vacuum leak, etc.) then I would have pressed them to share the details.  Unless you have a network analyzer for the GM system, understand the operation of the >20 on-board computers, and some other equipment the solution is way beyond most of us.

The being tight lipped did sound like BS to me :jester: Thanks for being a good sport and posting the specifics :D

Seems like your PCM flash was corrupted and needed to be reflashed. That happens once and a while when loading or changing programs. Things to look out for

1. Make sure the Vehicle Battery has a full charge

2. What ever equipment your using make sure it has a uninterupptable power supply.

3. Try not to disturb the vehicle when loading or reading the program. i.e. locking or unlocking the doors, using the radio, AC or Heat controls, mirrors ect...

4. You can do everything right and sometimes the flash file will lock up and you have to reload it with a new stock program. Typically this requires a Tech II from a GM dealer.

I'm looking forward to reading your articles ;)

MN C5,

I didn't think those details would be considered specifics to anyone.

The plan is to dyno and get track times in about 1.5 weeks. I'll finish the draft, get it reviewed, and then submit it. It might take a couple months to hit the streets. I typically take way more data than gets published.

Does anyone else have any dyno data?

We've measured the drag data (CdA) and rolling friction coefficient (fr). I'd like to see how our data compares to any other measurements or even published data if anyone has a link.

ChevyHighPerformance I was at the track with my SS when you guys were doing your stock runs. Ive been making some improvements in my times since then. Send me an E-mail when you go back to the track I'd like to see what you've done since the last.

MN C5,

I didn't think those details would be considered specifics to anyone. 

:P

IMHO Specifics = Details and or particulars So your going from Magic to some particulars... well worked for me. Heck your the wordsmith let me know if I'm wrong.. :rolleyes:

having delt with the same issue's at work, i'd say they gave you the incorrect program. as bad as it may sound to say, i was hoping it wasn't going to be an ss. granted the ss is pretty much the cadillac of trucks, it's also heavy and awd. the awd didn't bother people when it was in the typhoon and syclone because they were damn quick, but take away quick and burnouts, how is it going to go over with the readers.

MN C5,

OK, MN C5, what do you think the drivetrain efficiency is for the Silverado SS?

Based on the info BigTex posted with the front driveshaft disconnected I'd say its on par with the rest of the GM line up. I'm guessing that the transfer case and FT AWD would knock off another 5% or so. But I'm just guessing :D

I'm looking forward to see how things progress with your project. Good luck :thumbs:

I will hazard a guess. I came up with some numbers based on the 1/4 mile calculator and figured that the SS has a drive train loss of 18%. I am not sure I would trust a dyno "coast down" drive train loss figure if that is what you are thinking of.

Archived