WHICH GRADE OF FUEL ARE YOU USING?

Jerry

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The car has two knock sensors. If you put low grade fuel in the car, the computer will detect the knock and retard the timing. You can see this on autotap, it is the KR parameter.

You should be able to run the car on reguar fuel, but with some power loss, due to the retarded timing. It kinda defeats the purpose of having a high compression motor which gives you a bit of extra hp and then running bad gas through it.

Tim

I have been doing testing with my new 04 SS. The 87 works fine here in PA with the stock PCM programming and shows no knock retard at all. The timing in the program is very conservative. My dealer also told me that they were being informed by GM to tell customers to run 87. After I programmed the PCM I now run the 93 as I added 6 degrees of timing so far. The truck is much more responsive. I wanted to get it on the dyno yesterday to see how much timing I can get into it, but we didn't have time to pull the driveshaft off and put my truck on with all the customer cars I had to do. As soon as I can get it on the dyno I will post results with the stock program and then how much I can get out of her. From dyno tunes I have done in California trips I would rate the quality of the Cali 91 octane gas with it's additives to the 89 I can get here in PA as far as how much timing I can run in the vehicle. I am sure GM knows this and adjusted the timing accordingly.

Later,

Bryan

Archived