First ticket in the SSS

detjoe

ok here is the story...

I was driving home from work, going to stop at the store before I head home. So I see a dodge ram with some off those glue on hood scoops so I want to go and mess with him. I turn the corner and get on it a bit, I dont catch up to him after coming to a complete stop. So in my rear view is a traffice enforcement! :banghead:

Traffic enforcement are those guys who ride around in slow ass all black crown vic's with no roof mount lights or anything, just pulling people over and being know for not being too nice. They are the one that wear the knee high leather boots, this guy even had on a black leather bow-tie :crazy:

So he approaches the truck and I have my wepon tucked under my thigh, so the second thing I hand him is my CCW card, the first being my licnese. He tosses my CCW car back in to the car and says " I dont even want to see that..." and kind of throws in back into the car :dunno:

So after I showed him that I then went into the glove box to get my other info, I made sure not to dig in anything, so as the law says, 'offciers can feel more at rest' when doing traffic stops.

He asked before he went to his car if I knew why he stoped me and I told him, I might have been on it a little harded than I should have.

He then wrote my ticket. But was it a speeding ticket! no it was carless driving!!

So this morning I went to see the posted limit and it was 30, now my question is was I doing more than 50 or 20 over :dunno::dunno:

I feel like the guy did not know the posted limit so he wrote up the next best thing a $200 ticket that he does not have to determine my speed or the fact he might not have known the limit to worte the ticket so it would hold up if I contest it.

any LE guys who might take a crack at this??? or keys when I goto court??

danm-no mods, pay the ticket :banghead::banghead:

i would take it to court, it doesent sound like you were drving carlessly just speeding. and that isn tthe ticket he wort. it may take time but i would go to court for sure!

Depends on what he put in notes. I got the same ticket. Careless driving does not have to be a certain amount over the speed limit at all. Careless driving in michigan (where I got my ticket, downtown detroit) is the careless unintentional disregard for the safety of others. Excessive acceleration in a 30mph zone would certainly constitute that. :nono:

If you have a good record, I would take it to court :smash: and ask the judge to lower it to 5-10 over. Careless driving is 3 points and insurance companies in michigan LOVE careless driving ticket holders because you become so profitable! It took my insurance from $110/mo to $190/mo!!!!! :crazy:

Reckless driving is 6 points and the only difference between reckless and careless according to the law is reckless is the intentional disregard for the safety of others. One is intentional and one is unintentional. I used to be told that for careless you had to break 3 traffic violations to be accused of it, not tru...old wives tale.

lol here in arkansas careless driving doesnt even go on your record lol..i got a D.U.I lowered down to a careless driving...wreckless driving on the other hand is bad. i got my DUI lowered to something that doesnt even show on my record :cool: man its nice knowing the prosecuting attorney. :driving:

PS- i did infact learn my lesson not to drink and drive cuz before it went to court i didnt have a lisence for like 32 days and it sucked ass! i got that DUI *20* days after i had purchased my SS. live and learn!

Edited by Oo p0op oO (see edit history)

In some states careless driving can be considered a misdemenor and requires a court appearance. If that is the case for your state, look at who the prosecuting attorney is going to be. Give them a call and explain the situation. More than likely the prosecutor will know how big of a jerk these guys are and drop the violation down to a basic rule violation, which you should just be able to pay a fine and be on your way. Does the ticket say that he has you on Radar or Laser? You should be able to check public records in a few days to find out for sure. You can also check to make sure he is up to date on all his radar/laser training. If he isn't then you can get out of the ticket that way. If that doesn't work, then try to reschedule your court date to the officer's day off. I also believe that this is public record. This way the officer will more than likely not show for the hearing and you will get out of the ticket.

Edited by TomSSS (see edit history)

Careless driving is a misdemeanor and does require a court appearance in michigan. He won't get lucky about calling the prosecutor. Although legal, huge no no in Michigan courts. He may even want to consult an attorney. An attorney for that type of case could run you up to $500-900 to handle it.

In some states careless driving can be considered a misdemenor and requires a court appearance.  If that is the case for your state, look at who the prosecuting attorney is going to be.  Give them a call and explain the situation.  More than likely the prosecutor will know how big of a jerk these guys are and drop the violation down to a basic rule violation, which you should just be able to pay a fine and be on your way.  Does the ticket say that he has you on Radar or Laser?  You should be able to check public records in a few days to find out for sure.  You can also check to make sure he is up to date on all his radar/laser training.  If he isn't then you can get out of the ticket that way.  If that doesn't work, then try to reschedule your court date to the officer's day off.  I also believe that this is public record.  This way the officer will more than likely not show for the hearing and you will get out of the ticket.

I guess that varies state to state. The day I was scheduled the cop didn't and his buddy ended up working with me on the ticket. The judge was not going to throw it out even though the officer was clearly not there.

If I recall in our state it is 6 points on your license and quite a difference on your insurance which is the kicker. I have the law book at home for this. I'll try to remember to look at this later.

6 points is for reckless Zippy! I lived in Michigan and got a careless driving ticket myself...3 points unless they changed it in the last three years. Drag racing is 6 points. By the way, on that note...Drag racing is defined as accelerating at a high rate of speed, not TWO cars racing each other...So...you can be issued a ticket for drag racing if you floor it from a light or a roll and there are no other cars around. Lots of room for discrepency in Michigan. They have many many ways to "pin" something on you if they want. I had a 15mph over speeding ticket and the judge swapped it to "impeding traffic" yes...you read that correctly...impeding traffic so I had no points put on my record but they got more revenue. See...the impeding ticket was $130 and the 15 over was only like $95...pretty clever on their part. I gladly paid the bigger ticket and avoided the huge insurance hike...

Michigan point system.

6 points:

Manslaughter, negligent homcide, or other fleony involving use of a motor vehicle.

Operating while intoxicated or operating with an presence of a Schedule 1 drug or cocaine.

Failing tostop and give identification at the scene of a crash.

Reckless driving.

Refusal to take a chemical test.

Fleeing or eluding a police officer.

Failure to yield causing death or injury of emergancy responder, construction worker, or person operating implements of animal husbandry.

4 points:

Drag racing.

Impared driving.

Under age 21 with any bodily alcahol content.

16mph or more over the legal speed limit.

Failure to yield/show due to caution for emergancy vehicles.

3 points:

Careless driving.

Disobeying a traffic signal or stop sign or improper passing.

11 through 15mph over the legal speed limit.

Failure to stop at a railroad crossing.

Failure to stop for a school bus or for disobeying a school crossing guard.

2 points:

10mph or less over the legal speed limit

Open alcahol container in the vehicle.

All other moving violations of traffic laws

Refusal of Preliminary Breath Test (PBT) by anyone under the age 21.

All rules taken from Michigan's "What Every Driver Must Know" handbook.

wowo mitch-again sucks for traffic laws. we only get one point for speeding here, im pretty sure the same for running a stop sign. ive only been caught doing the speeding thing once and i usually ge ttraffic school so no point there. i have been busted for no seatbelt at least 3 times also. and those stupid noise polution tickets!