What sounds better in our trucks?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 10" JL's in a bandpass box..  Much better...

Very tight and crisp bass, and the bandpass box helped when I wanted it to get really loud.

Can't beat 2 10's in my opinion!

i got a sealed box. more tight and crisper than a bandpass. Oh, yea and it's loud. so loud it is hard to breath when i have it crankin'. I'm waiting for a local stereo shop to do a SPL contest to see what it makes. but with 2,800 watts i don't think i'll do to bad :wink:

I've always been a huge fan of the Stillwater stuff, and would seriously consider a pair of 10" L7 woofers, but I have heard a couple folks complain that the power handling was not up to par for punishing abuse; has yours held up pretty well?

Mr. P. :)

2,800 watts into 2 s12L7's for over a month now. tight and crazy loud, crazy...

here are some pics....

16218195988-thumb.jpg16218211883-thumb.jpg16218052963-thumb.jpg

9422364934-thumb.jpg9422343954-thumb.jpg

Subthump Ultra deep box.  down firing.  don't worrie about the down fireing, i have more bass than ANY 17 yearold!!!!!!!

TOTAL stock look!!!!  TOTAL STEALTH!!!!  you would never know....

Wow, something isn't right... The sub doesn't even fit under my seat by itself without touching the bottom of the seat. Does your seat go all the way down and lock with that box??? How much space is there between the speaker's "face" and the floor? I'm a little confused now... :confused:

fits fine. not much room from the surround on the speaker and the floor. the box has side rails the keep the face off of the floor, by, i'd say an inch or so. the seat folds down to the stock location.

yes the subs fit under an unmolested seat and i don't know why you don't think so.

the box was $180 (+/-) shipped to my house.

the fit is fine. also the box is back from the front of the bottom seat so people in the back don't have to hold there legs out in an unnatural position.

I know i would have spent more time and money trying to make a box than just buying this one.

http://www.subthump.com/ctbultra.htm

thats what i did. cheap, fast, and sounds wicked good!

yes the subs fit under an unmolested seat and i don't know why you don't think so.

Mainly because I slid my 12L7 under the seat and even sitting on the floor of the cab the magnet touched the bottom of the seat. Maybe I just need to try different angles. Is your box made of 3/4" wood or thicker?

3/4" from what i remember. i did not build it, i purchased it. for the cost involved in "Trial by Error" i figured it would be cheaper to purchase it from the provided link.

it's a perfect fit. totaly crafted to the floor profile. I think the box is fantastic and i could not have built a better one! I have built sub boxes in the past, but i don't kid myself, they were hidious to look at!

the box is just slightly over the recomendd cu.ft

Edited by Meegs (see edit history)

3/4" from what i remember.  i did not build it, i purchased it.  for the cost involved in "Trial by Error" i figured it would be cheaper to purchase it from the provided link.

it's a perfect fit.  totaly crafted to the floor profile.  I think the box is fantastic and i could not have built a better one!  I have built sub boxes in the past, but i don't kid myself, they were hidious to look at!

the box is just slightly over the recomendd cu.ft

Well, that's where you and I differ... I'm a box builder and an ex-installer. These test boxes are being built so that I don't waste time and materials covering it with expensive vinyl and actually drill and bolt it to the truck floor until I know for sure it's going to sound good in the truck. It's not to say that I can't learn something from time to time (like, sayyyyyy speaker placement to make a tall square 12" speaker fit under a seat :crazy: ).

I'll be building a box for the 12L7 some night next week for sure as it's got better specs than the round series 1 Solobaric I have in there now (which does sound pretty good, but the box is a tic to big)... I've also finished resoldering new RCA leads to my Orion 2150 amp, so more power is on the way too...

Well, that's where you and I differ... I'm a box builder and an ex-installer. These test boxes are being built so that I don't waste time and materials right]
3/4" from what i remember.  i did not build it, i purchased it.  for the cost involved in "Trial by Error" i figured it would be cheaper to purchase it from the provided link.

so, ahh....alright then. i'm gonna go hop in my finished truck that has 2 L7's now.

I vote the 2 10's

I have 2 of the new Kicker CompVX's (Same as the L7's, but round) and I am feeding them with a JBL 1200.1 amp (600RMS to each) in a sealed box... and it pounds! I have the same problem as the guy who posted above me.. the roof rattles like crazy when it hits. Not to mention I had to turn them down because i was starting to feel nautious after a few minutes of listening to them.

My vote is to go for one high quality 12" woofer, that way after you save up some more $ and feel the need for more bass, you can install another of that same high quality 12" woofer.

I like stuff from www.tcsounds.com They make subs for Bob Carver's Sunfire, Rockford Fosgate, Aerial Acoustics, Morel, Legacy Audio, Krell and others. TC Sounds is now selling directly to the public.

I have raised my seat 3" and had a custom box built to use all of the available space under the seat. I run 2 10" rockford fosgate hx2's powered by 500 w of jl audio power and it sounds great,good lows for rap and good punch for rock. my box is 3/4" mdf and is sealed,and my buddies still fit comfortable in the back even though they say it feels like a booster seat :lol:.