Nearing decision of ATI Procharger Supercharger

Ok, If I do take the plunge and get the ATI procharger; (lost in thought) I mean heck, it is a ton less expensive than the Magnacharger, and Tom at TByrne says everything I need comes with the kit... minus programming of course which they do sell or I could do with the LS-1 Edit... and I don't have to pull the intake off the truck (which scares the sh#$ out of me,) and everyone on the LS-1 and corvette forums are religious about which one to buy and say they both do a fantastic job of helping these motors; (back to reality for a moment) :crazy:

If I get stuck, or need some help. I am imagining more need for help with the LS-1 Edit for handling the supercharger on the motor than with actual install. Are you guys gonna babysit me through this process? :cry:

I really wanna get one of these for Christmas (early Christmas :D ). But the plunge is a bit nerve racking. And I can't really think of anyone in Austin I would want to do the install for me. So I would be taking the truck to Dallas or Houston if I ran into trouble. :wtf:

Thoughts? I am baring my soul here... tread lightly. It's a red thing. :rolleyes:

Good luck, Brent. I'm jealous as hell. I hope all goes well and you get it waaay before Xmas.  :thumbs:

Don't get jealous yet. It takes a few penneys to get one... Unless you guys are connected to better people than I am. I know the wife will go bananas if I try to hide it.

i'm just nearing the final decision state with a SMALL portion of the penneys in my pocket... and they are burning holes and getting heavy.

Just a thought, but I am sure you have heard this already, but the general rule is, for daily drivabilty and towing, go with the magnacharger or whipple. For drag racing, go with the centrifugals.

That is mostly dealing with the character of the boost and how it interactes with your driving style. I am sure you could be happy with either of them though. I mean, how could you be disappointed with extra ponies under the hood :D

I think you should consider getting me one for Xmas, Brother Dave. Then claim me as a dependent on your taxes or something. Just think about the possibilities and how good you'd feel inside. You're probably getting that warm and fuzzy feeling just reading this, huh? Seeeee, it works. :D Order it, Dave............................now!!!

But wait, if you order within the next ten minutes.......................

I ordered my Magnachager (Part #01-12-60-0013)

Install will be next weekend.

Dollar for dollar the Magnacharger is the way to go.

:thumbs:

See what I mean about a religious war.

Ok, back to the drawing board. If I have to do the MagnaCharger, I gotta wait a lot longer, and I will have to pay someone else to do the install. Taking the intake off the motor sounds like trouble to me.

Go to the Magancharger website and read the directions. If you can turn a bolt, you can get the intake off. It's putting things back together that there could be certain specs to follow. Go read them and make your determination from there. I personally feel the ATI install is going to be harder to install than a radix. Isn't there minor alteration involved? I haven't read the directions myself. Might go to the ATI website and see if they have downloadable directions and compare the two.

• 3 weeks later...

Well for my $.02.

A roots type boost comes on full down low, where the centrifugals build as rpm grows. This means the roots type has more Tq further down the rpm scale. In such a heavy truck, the roots will help you get off the line quicker. Now, if you weighed in about 1500lbs less, and had a high stall convertor, this would negate a lot of the gains a roots type has.

All in all though, I can see a case made for either one. What it comes down to in my mind is value, not just initial investment. ATI has had it's share of problems w/ belt slipping, belt ripping, belt throwing, etc due to terrible R&D. The magnacharger seems to be a bolt on and forget it piece. I don't think the ATI will be.

On a side note, are you Radix guys keying the crank. Mt local dealer has a magnacharger on a 5.3L that spun. Needless to say, it's down for a new crank. This was a Lingenfelter built unit too. :(

I wouldnt buy the procharger expecting it to be cheaper than the radix.

As much as people say the kit it complete, It isnt. You need injectors to do this right. Get the procharger and then get some injectors and Edit/autotap. By the time your done, you wont be much cheaper than the radix, but you will end up with a much better tune in the end because it will be tailored to your truck.

If you want something that is low maintenance and just bolt it on and go, get the radix or a whipple. But if you want something a little more custom, get the procharger.

As soon as i get mine completely done, I can give you a little more advice, but I dont think you should be afraid to remove the intake. Its not hard.

I say get the procharger if you are willing to the extra work necessary.

:withstupid: (M396 #00-011)

When trying to make big power with the ATI, belt slippage is a major problem.

I can tell you this - with the ATI, you'll lost power below 3500 rpms. The procharger is horrible about eating up extra power before it builds boost. So without a good sized torqe converter, take offs and daily driving will suffer. When the boost rolls in, it can and usually does make more power than a roots. Bt that peak power is just in one small rpms band. The Radix will make more power over every other rpm segment. On average, the Radix will be more powerful and the results will show.

One other note, the ATI kit is notorious for tearing up stock motors. Countless people wanting more power from the aTI have burned up the $7 piston. The ATI kit uses a FMU which blocks off the fuel return line, which builds higher fuel pressure and makes your fuel injectors seem like they are larger and deliver more fuel. The Radix just come with bigger injectors, which is a much better solution.

Dont go whipple, as the non intercooled boost will suck in the TX heat. Look at Dcairns first run at the track with his Radix. The intercooler pump was off (making it non intercooled) and his track times were in the upper 14s / low 15s. Expect the same from a whipple.

Good luck with your decision, especially if it is the ATI kit.

Richard

Thanks immensely guys for the responses.

Guess I was considering the ATI for the wrong reasons. I was thinking I could install it myself where the Radix would require someone else to do the install.

I am tossed up again as to what to do.

Archived