New shift kit

I installed the Zippy kit this weekend and it was working perfectly. It took a little bit of time to get the 4-3 downshift right, maybe because of the vaseline I put on the servo? Yesterday night I came back home and it wouldn't shift into 3rd gear. From the 2nd the rpm would go high and try to shift but the gear doesn't go in so it kicks back in 2nd. The ring and the cover for the servos seem to be in their place. I'm pretty sure I put all the bolts of the valve body in their proper location could it be one bolt? I'm completely stock and lowered 2".

I've used the search button and found that it might be the the 3-4 clutch i just hope it's nothing major... :shakehead:

Edited by Simon (see edit history)

:dupe: Don't get it wrong, your shift kit is very impressive :thumbs: I probably did a better job than the transmission guys I went to see and wanted 1000$ to intall it or the other one that couldn't do it before 2 weeks... Please don't take it personnal, same thing could have happened with any other brand. I just learned the hard way ($$$) that I should do all the mods myself after being screwed by the guy who dropped my truck. Now I got to got check that out :smash: Edited by Simon (see edit history)

Well, turns out that I put the first servo, the one with the bevel side, the wrong way. I flipped it but it still won't shift in 3rd, i'm taking it to the trans shop tomorrow am to see the damage. :banghead: The oil changed color and smells burnt a bit.

Has anyone tried the heavy duty clutches?

Edited by Simon (see edit history)

The instructions aren't too bad, at least I think they aren't. I've just had so many that have had issue's caused by the install that I just don't think it's worth selling them at this point.

The instructions were a bit of a challenge to deal with, but I had fun when doin it. It was the first time I opened a transmission. I think they are pretty clear in overall, after you figure the rest. You see, it's in the servo part that I had problems, the part with the instructions from Shift Technologies and they were so clear, I thaught I could never make a mistake there :banghead: I should have double checked just like the valve body part...

• 2 weeks later...
Well, turns out that I put the first servo, the one with the bevel side, the wrong way. I flipped it but it still won't shift in 3rd, i'm taking it to the trans shop tomorrow am to see the damage.  :banghead: The oil changed color and smells burnt a bit.

Has anyone tried the heavy duty clutches?

I burned my 3th gear 3 times, do you have pictures of this part?

I hate to jinx myself, but...My trans is original and has 61K. 10K are FI...I avoid hard kickdowns, maybe that's why it has lasted. I did burn up the clutch in my original converter though. I now have the full on Zippy kit, billet servos and a TBTC. Zippy, the instruction sheet could be a little clearer. A copy of a copy, you know, it's a little fuzzy. Maybe you could put up a copy of the instructions somewhere and allow buyers to access it? Just an idea. We have been tweeking the trans tune and it's about where I want it. I love the kit, and having done a few other types of trans it wasn't too hard, although I did forget to hook up the pressure solenoid(What a dumbass I am). Later

Dave

I don't have a picture of it but the but the 3-4 clutches were completely burned. They look like sprockets on a motocycle more or less but they are thinner, about 1/16" and the teeth are square. There is a stack of them, about 10. While the transmission was out of the truck, I put a TBTC.

I could go through and re-do the directions, but at this point I have stopped selling all kits. I will be changing that on the website this week. I will do them as installs, but have no reason to sell them outright anymore.

I could go through and re-do the directions, but at this point I have stopped selling all kits. I will be changing that on the website this week. I will do them as installs, but have no reason to sell them outright anymore.

that sucks....i gotta drive all the way to michigan for a kit?? well at least it will be done right the first time!!! :cheers:

I've done only two shift kits. One was okay for difficulty. One was fairly easy. The one that was easy had much more parts and I messed with the servo - new thing for me. The other one had very few pieces (B&M), but was harder to figure out what they were trying to say. The one I have in this truck was super easy and I did some of the same stuff and then some, as the last one. The main difference, other than having "some" experience, was the detailed directions with very detailed pictures. I think my 9yr old could have figured them out.