Any reason I should not switch to Mobil 1?

Black03SS_NJ

Well then my last question, and probably will be directed to them is oil flow.  Micron filtration is great, as long as it doesn't starve the motor in oil flow.  I'm sure they have done their homework.  Thanks for the info guys!  I'll look into this set-up.

From what I have been told, the double-bypass system can cause oil starvation. Not sure if I ever experienced on my last system or not. The key part to that is the distance of the hoses. The shorter the better. The pic they have of it mounted on a crossmember looks really good and is a very short distance fom the stock filter location. This should only be a factor if you decide to relocate both filters. You cap your stock location and run hoses from there to wherever you mount.

I'll have to check to be sure, but I think you can leave as is, you just have to tap into the oil system to get flow through the bypass filter. All you have to really do is pick a location for that filter. This way should be the safest with regards to oil starvation.

Thanks, I will look into it more. :thumbs:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caveat Emptor re Oil Changes. :crazy:

The new world warranties and extended warranty cruel reality...they cost the manufacturers a fortune and look forward to getting out of claims.

I worked as a Shop Controller and Service Manager for 12 years and the manufacturers still require proof(Receipts) of Oil changes from the dealer or others ie Penzoil Quick Lube to validate your warranty.

Synthetic Fluids :P are accepted for warranty purposes and provide extra protection when towing or severe service wher conventional oils can break down.

These are also great for people in cold climates as oil flows freely preventing cold engine oil starvation.

For the regular grocery getter and back and forth to work, oil changes every 5K(3000 Miles) or 3 months with a premium quality oil will ensure that your engine lasts a long time.

However take caution:

Backyard oil changes are not accepted :shakehead: as proof for warranty repairs even if you keep those WalMart receipts for the oil and filter you bought in the store and your warranty claim will be turned down. Read the fine print in your warranties. :rolleyes:

So don't be surprised when something goes wrong and the warranty :smash: you thought you had does not cover you and even worse gets turned down by the Judge when you try to take it to court.

Happy motoring...

Dr Mike :thumbs:

my dealer told me that I could change to a synthetic, and it wouldn't bother my warranty, and would probably give me some extra miles out of my engine, so I went with the mobil-1, and set the oil change light. It goes on about every 7000 miles or so, and that's when I'm going to change the stuff. I pulled the dinosaur oil out(at 3800 instead of 3000, oops!) and was appalled at the metallic dust and stuff on the magnetic drain plug. Lots of carbon too. So we'll see what the mobil-1 stuff looks like when it comes out. Seems to jump around less at low rpms, when the bearing loading is greatest, and the wierd thing is it seems to change how the damn engine sounds! So we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say I'm a big fan of synthetics...

I ran Mobil1 in my S10 for 95K of it's 98K life. When I traded it in, the engine was a complete turd. Burned a decent amount of oil, had a horrible cold piston slap that sounded like a hammer on the block. Couldn't hold 70 on the highway. Oil was changed every 3000-4500 miles.

That was traded for a 5.3 Avalanche. I only ran dino oil in it. I changed it at the recommeneded time via the oil life monitor. It worked out to be about 5K each time. It didn't burn a drop, no piston slap, and it was generally a strong tight motor that ran perfect.

I put aout 30-35K on a year, so that's at least six oil changes a year. In all honesty, even after a big purchase like this, I'm just too damn cheap to spring the extra $15-20 an oil change for the synthetic stuff.

I'm sure my crappy S10 engine wasn't because of the oil - but the whole thing just left a bad impression on me. I thought I was helping the motor, and it turns out it was just a waste of money for me.

I think I'll vary from the norm here: I'll stick with dino, and what the oil life monitor tells me.

I figure that GM wouldn't want us hanging around with worn out enginges due to long oil change intervals... so there must be some truth to it.

I used to do the little "dab of oil on your fingers - stretch it out trick" to the used oil in the pan. It's supposed to be a quick judge of the film strenght left in the oil. There was little difference between the new and used oils...

The dealer will be unlikely to argue the 3000mi change rule. I happen to know from experience that the computer system will not reach "Oil life 0%" until approx 10Kmi. (yes, I'm a procrastinator) I have changed it twice since, and loaded Mobile 1 as well. If its good enough for the vette, it cant hurt.

I'm not a conservative driver, so 10K is not something I would try again.

:) Mine's at 90% right around 500 miles here. I wonder what the mileage will end up being... I figure 5K also. I wonder if the weather and driving conditions and what not really effects the system?

Maybe I can be convinced to change it at 3,000. I'm already considering doing very soon. :rolleyes:

I have 6000mi on the truck now and did the first oil change to Amsoil at the 1000mi mark, the oil life ticker says I have 32% left. My next scheduled oil change is at 25,000mi, so between now and May of next year or 25K which ever comes first, I’ll be able to see if the oil life ticker will actually read 0%… :)

It'll hit 0% by then.  The oil life monitors are for people who don't know how to take care of their vehicles.  They do nothing for me.  I wish they were adjustable though, to remind me.

My take on it is that the oil life monitors are are for oil (and environment) conservation and money savings. No need to change it when you don't have to.

That should mean something coming from me... I've got a chip on my shoulder for greenies.

Oil has come a long way since the 60's or 70's, or wherever the 3K change interval came from.

I've got five vehicles to service around the house... Any sort of a reminder for me, or if GM is telling me I don't have to service it as often as I thought I would, then GREAT!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived