4L65E Info

• 2 weeks later...

Cool article. They ask "What about the 4L80-E and L85?" They answered one disatvantage is that these stronger trannys weigh more. Since these 80 series are based on the old T400, I bet they eat up more power than the 4L65E, probably a bunch more!

I don't remember the exact gear ratio but first gear in the 4L80E and 85E, like the old TH400, is much taller. Something like 2.20 as compared to the 700R4, 4L60E and 65E which is something like 3.08. Makes a big difference at the stop light.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't remember the exact gear ratio but first gear in the 4L80E and 85E, like the old TH400, is much taller. Something like 2.20 as compared to the 700R4, 4L60E and 65E which is something like 3.08. Makes a big difference at the stop light.

I am pretty ignorant in these matters, so can someone explain what having a 'taller' gear means and what it does for you?

Thx.

Hey Fun Guy,

I'll give it a try...

To simplify things lets remember that all references are made with the trans in 4th gear or high gear (where it would be automatically at highway speeds).

A taller gear (lower numerically, ie: 2.73:1) will give you more top end speed at a given rpm. Another way to say it is at your redline, you will be going faster with a tall gear, than you would be if you had 4.10:1 gears.(a lower gear, higher numerically)

Our trucks have a 4.10:1 rear gear (final drive ratio, trans in high gear) and will accelerate from a stop quicker than the truck with a 2.73:1 ratio. On the other hand, we will reach our redline (maximum engine speed) sooner than the truck with the 2.73:1 ratio. We will outrun the other guy in the short haul, but he will pass us on the big end of the track.

Most work trucks have lower gears (higher numerically) so they can move the weight they are hauling more easily. Most economy cars have taller or higher gears so they will be turning fewer rpm's at highway speed, thus getting better gas mileage.

I hope that helps you, I also hope it didn't confuse you more! I get pretty windy on some of my replies! Sorry!

SuperDave

:rolleyes:

Archived