My custom exhaust plans.

Black03SS_NJ

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another system to add to the ones mentioned is the BB Triflo. I sent out emails to a few companies and resellers back around the beginning of September asking about systems for the ss. TByrne emailed me back and told me about the corsa which wasn't done yet and BB Triflo. I also received an email back from BB around the same time. They have two systems one side exit and a rear exit. The side has two round tips and the rear has two elliptical tips. I personally wish SLP made a loud mouth system for the ss like on my dad's Corvette.

Also has anyone considered using Supertrapps since they are stainless and tunable? I had glass packs and true duals exiting side by side under the license plate on my 98 z71 which sounded great and had a nice crack between first and second. I had that installed by a local place for $150. I figure I can do the same setup but using the Supertrapps which will provide stainless mufflers and nice tips at the same time.

chop the muffler off...throw some glass packs on...run some pipe out the back side and let 'er buck...

mine sounds great...a very nice idle sound...hid the tips up underneath the bumper so there is no visable exhaust...i hate cleaning tips...especially with the sand and salt from the winter months here in MN...

:cool: This is what I am leaning towards, just take the muffler off and replace with glass packs, but I need to hear it first!!! I don't want my truck to wake up the neighborhood, but I really would like it to sound loud. I was also thinking about waiting until flowmaster get their heads out their a_ _!! and make a AMERICAN THUNDER system for this truck. I have it in my wife's Z28 they sound great. She keeps picking on me everytime she parks next to me!! remarks like "is your truck running, I can't really hear it"? :fume: If anybody has pictures of a flowmasters custom work please let me know I was thinking of either american thunders (but that probably will not happen) or @ least 40 series :thumbs:

you could also try a newer version basicly of glasspacks and go with the race magnum bullet from dynomax. they are very popular on the f-bodies. i've installed a few of them and have had only positive results. :chevy:

Matt, just to add more fodder for a tough decision, coming home this afternoon I

noticed at cruise, the corsa sports is a tad louder than stock. Not distracting at all.

But medium to WOT excellerations really make it sing....its music to my ears!! :D

The sound samplings on corsas' web site are a good representation of what you'd get!

Thanks everyone for the advice and replies. I am still undecided as to what I am going to do, but I am leaning towards Flowmaster. I would really love to hear from someone running a single or dual Flowmasters on how the resonance is on long trips.

I think I will call Flowmaster and see what they think about running 2 70 series big-block mufflers after an x-pipe. That should be quieter than two 50 series deltas, but I don't know how it would compare to the dual 3" in / dual 2.5" out muffler that they offer.

I did write to Borla and Magnaflow, and here is what Magnaflow had to say, for those who are curious:

"We are currently in R&D on the system to be released in 6 months which will be a single tailpipe design to maximize the performance out of the system. Use part #12599 Aluminized and retain the stock tailpipe and y-pipe(or run duals straight out the back), or use a #12590 dual 3inch in/single 3 inch out and have your shop make you a new tailpipe."

Thanks everyone for the advice and replies. I am still undecided as to what I am going to do, but I am leaning towards Flowmaster. I would really love to hear from someone running a single or dual Flowmasters on how the resonance is on long trips.

Black03SS_NJ:

I have over 2000 miles on the 50 series flowmaster muffler part # 530513 big block muffler 3”dual in single 3.5 out. I had ASM headers and the flowmaster installed a day apart so I had only one day of driving around with the flowmaster alone. At first the sound was a major change from stock, :eek: really burly rumble and really growled at WOT (wide open throttle) On the freeway cruising at 75 mph right after install of the muffler, I remember thinking to myself (dang am I going to be able to live with this on long trips?? :uhoh: ) There was a significant amount of resonance in the cab with the stereo down. (I had a hangover at the time so that didn’t help matters as well)

So the next day I had the headers installed from ASM, and everything changed, the muffler actually got quieter, probably from added flow, I don’t know. And there was a change in WOT as well, this was a change for the better IMO… :cool:

Now that the muffler and headers are all broke in I love the sound, the NASCAR rumble is still there at WOT around 75mph or so and above, but sounds even better now! :thumbs: Also now the resonance has smoothed and mellowed out. (I may just be use to it now but it does sound much less annoying) The best sound comes from about 1800rmp to about 2700rpm really sounds :cool: , low rumble burble sound.

So, yes there is a resonance in the cab at first but it goes away and mellows out after the muffler is broken in and sounds awesome. Really does sound just like the stock exhaust just a lot louder IMO… :thumbs:

:cheers:

Thanks blackhawk, that's exactly the advice I was looking for. I just hope I do not have to add headers right away to quiet the exhaust down! About 95% of my travel is 6mi round trip to work, so I think a little noise in the cab will be okay. So I think I am going with Flowmaster. Here are what I see as my 4 Flowmaster options:

1. Magnaflow 3" x-pipe to two 3" 50 series deltas, 3" duals out behind rear tires. X-pipe should help with resonance.

2. Magnaflow 3" x-pipe to two 3" 70 series big block mufflers, 3" duals out behind rear tires. (not even sure if flowmaster recommends 2 of these)

3. Flowmaster dual 3" in / dual 2.5" out with 3" duals out behind rear tires. Don't think I need an x-pipe with this setup.

4. Flowmaster dual 3" in / single 3.5" out and use the stock tailpipe. Flowmaster lists this as their recommended muffler for the 6.0L, but I hate to settle for a single exhaust. But it would be the simplest install.

Any opinions on which of these will sound best, be the loudest, or be the quietest? As you can see, I really like to do my research before jumping in.

EDIT: Add this to the mix: Flowmaster has two resonators, in 3" and 3.5" sizes, that could be added to #1, #2, or #4 to keep thing quiet. Anyone running one of these Flowmaster resonators?

4. Flowmaster dual 3" in / single 3.5" out and use the stock tailpipe. Flowmaster lists this as their recommended muffler for the 6.0L, but I hate to settle for a single exhaust. But it would be the simplest install.

This is what i have and is the least noisy of the ones you have listed. ASM had an SS with the Magnaflow muffler and it sounds almost exactly like the flowmaster BTW.

I went with the single muffler to maintain the stock exit location, but if you want a true dual go with the dual 50 series mufflers. Flowmaster IMO has the sound down pat if you want that true muscle car sound…

:cheers:

ridnlow135:

IMO aftermarket exhausts from the big names are all pretty much the same; just get the one that has the sound you are looking for. :cool:

I have no idea about corsa’s performance; Zippy can probably give you some good info on them though…

Thanks blackhawk, that's exactly the advice I was looking for. I just hope I do not have to add headers right away to quiet the exhaust down! About 95% of my travel is 6mi round trip to work, so I think a little noise in the cab will be okay. So I think I am going with Flowmaster. Here are what I see as my 4 Flowmaster options:

1. Magnaflow 3" x-pipe to two 3" 50 series deltas, 3" duals out behind rear tires. X-pipe should help with resonance.

2. Magnaflow 3" x-pipe to two 3" 70 series big block mufflers, 3" duals out behind rear tires. (not even sure if flowmaster recommends 2 of these)

3. Flowmaster dual 3" in / dual 2.5" out with 3" duals out behind rear tires. Don't think I need an x-pipe with this setup.

Any opinions on which of these will sound best, be the loudest, or be the quietest? As you can see, I really like to do my research before jumping in.

EDIT: Add this to the mix: Flowmaster has two resonators, in 3" and 3.5" sizes, that could be added to #1, #2, or #4 to keep thing quiet. Anyone running one of these Flowmaster resonators?

:cool: Please let me know wich one you get and if is not too much to ask could you please send some pictures and part numbers. That way I can go to the muffler shop with proof that it can be done.I live in the middle of nowhere and finding somebody that can do or knows how to do this things is hard. I also want to stay with flowmasters.

Noel R

PA

If your thinking of doing a flowmaster, Id look into the spintechs, Ive had both and ill take my spintech setup anyday over my flowmaster. The flowmaster had lots of resonance, but sounded sweet and it was loud. The spintech setup gives less resonance, but it is still there at about 2000 RPMs. But it sounds much more aggressive outside. And the muffler seems to be much better built. My flowmaster is falling apart after almost 3 years.

Either way youd be happy with the sound outside, its just how much resonance you can handle on the inside.

Also with both setups that i had, i had them exit before the axle under the truck, so that can account for lots of my resonance, if you are planning on running them all the way out the back. you wouldnt get as much resonance.

Archived