Who has already done the electric fans

SuperSport

Actually, no it doesn't over compensate. A temp rating on a thermostat only indicates at what temp the stat opens to allow flow. Your fans and radiator indicate the temp at which the coolant will stay at. Buy reprograming the PCM, you have the fans come on sooner, to take advantage of the new lower thermostat.

what i ment is that the pcm is set for a 195 stat and if you change it to a 160 the computer makes the engine warm up to a 195 so you have to reprogram the pcm to the lower stat. i had one in my 00 silverado too and i changed it and it didnt change the temp of the engine then i reprogramed it and it went down to around 180. and i want to know how do you tell the factory cluched fan to turn on?? i have electric fans and i have it set at the lowest temp and it dont help.

Ben,

Believe it or not we actually got some rain here last Friday. 1.5 inches!!! That's huge for AZ. Don't worry, though. I didn't have to go anywhere Friday so I stayed home. My truck is now 7 months old and still never been rained on. :P

what i ment is that the pcm is set for a 195 stat and if you change it to a 160 the computer makes the engine warm up to a 195 so you have to reprogram the pcm to the lower stat. i had one in my 00 silverado too and i changed it and it didnt change the temp of the engine then i reprogramed it and it went down to around 180. and i want to know how do you tell the factory cluched fan to turn on?? i have electric fans and i have it set at the lowest temp and it dont help.

Well, please explain to me how the computer makes your engine warm up to 195 degrees then. Again, the fan and the thermostat dictate the engine temp. I'm sorry, I was speaking of electric fans before, because I knew you had them. I don't know how to turn the clutch fan on and off.

the computer does not contol the electric fans. the computer reads the temp gage and it takes it from there.. if the computer has nothing to do with it then why do you have to reprogram the pcm for the lower stat

the computer does not contol the electric fans.  the computer reads the temp gage and it takes it from there..    if the computer has nothing to do with it then why do you have to reprogram the pcm for the lower stat.

The reprograming that I spoke of before was for the electric fans. My error was that I was thinking about many vette discussions and arguements from this very topic before on another forum. The vette uses 2 stage electric fans to control the coolant temp along with the thermostat. For the confusion I brought on, I appogolize. I understand that your PCM doesn't control your electric fans.

The clutch fan is a different beast from electric fans for me, as I don't fully understand it's operations. I am not sure how it works in relationship to engine temp and the PCM, but I asume it's similar to the elecric fans, the PCM tells it when to engage and disengade. But, the only way that I can think of how the computer can make the engine warm up is by controlling the clutch fan, or running the motor lean :eek: (which I truly doubt) This is what I overlooked in my previous post about over compensation.

So again, I still stand by my earlier comment. Changing the stat, or changing the program will have little effect. Together, they will make the difference. I think we are both saying the same thing, just confusing each other in the lingo.

Sorry for the confusion, as I got a little confused myself. :crazy:

The clutch fan is a different beast from electric fans for me, as I don't fully understand it's operations. I am not sure how it works in relationship to engine temp and the PCM, but I asume it's similar to the elecric fans, the PCM tells it when to engage and disengade. But, the only way that I can think of how the computer can make the engine warm up is by controlling the clutch fan, or running the motor lean  (which I truly doubt) This is what I overlooked in my previous post about over compensation.

fan clutches are mechanically controled thats why i asked about turing them on and off. you really cant and it dont have anything to do with the pcm or temp. i am not good at all on explaining stuff but i know how it works.. but i do bleive the pcm makes the motor run lean to get it up to operating range at 195 thats why you have to reprogram it to make the running temp at 160 the electric fans or cluch fans really has nothing to do with it.

Sorry for the confusion, as I got a little confused myself

as both of us did :crazy: thats why we have discussions

The clutch fan is a different beast from electric fans for me, as I don't fully understand it's operations. I am not sure how it works in relationship to engine temp and the PCM, but I asume it's similar to the elecric fans, the PCM tells it when to engage and disengade. But, the only way that I can think of how the computer can make the engine warm up is by controlling the clutch fan, or running the motor lean  (which I truly doubt) This is what I overlooked in my previous post about over compensation.

fan clutches are mechanically controled thats why i asked about turing them on and off. you really cant and it dont have anything to do with the pcm or temp. i am not good at all on explaining stuff but i know how it works.. but i do bleive the pcm makes the motor run lean to get it up to operating range at 195 thats why you have to reprogram it to make the running temp at 160 the electric fans or cluch fans really has nothing to do with it.

Sorry for the confusion, as I got a little confused myself

as both of us did :crazy: thats why we have discussions

Thanks for the explination, as I found I wondered out of my domain. I'm so used to electric fans, I never really thought about how a clutch fan worked. Running the engine lean to warm up the engine faster was just a guess, but if that indeed is how it is done, (which I guess is actually safe) I just don't like it :nonod:

I have read some threads about incorperating the electric fans into the PCM with LS1 Edit, something I want to do when I get my electrics. But from what I read, you can't make it quite the same as the dual stage on the vettes :(

Archived