Mechanical mistakes

zippy

In my amusement of memory flashback's this morning I was remembering the Hot Rod or something like that special on incidents people have had while working on their rides that were either a never could happen or just an oops out of pure momentary stupidity. How about it guys...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Changing the starter on my '64 Impala, long ago. Forgot to disconnect the battery and was wrenching the positive line off the solenoid, wrench handle hit the transmission cooler line (ground). Big spark, hole in the transmission line, fire… :eek: I think that was the quickest I ever got out form under a car :D At least the fire was small and put out by kicking some dirt on it. Had great fun bending my own replacement for the transmission cooler line.

Chasing a Fu*#ing wheel beearing noise one time ,did the woble thing going down the road loading up one side of the vehical then the other .Noise would go away ,ended up changing all 4 ......still no help ..............noise was still there ..........get this ............one of the tires had 20 lbs too much air .Boy was i Pissed off when I found that ,let air out and noise was gone

I've got a few, here's my first: when I was 17 I was driving down the freeway and noticed that the oil pressure had gone rock-bottom :eek: I dove off the road and discovered that the oil drain plug was missing, apparently I did not finish tightening it at the last oil change :banghead: Cost = 1 small block Chevy. :banghead:

Mr. P.

Fix a fuel line leak and after i was finished I was getting no fuel to the carb so put more gas in the tank and checked all the fittings for a clog. 2 hours later it Turned out that I had forgot to take some vice grips off a rubber line at the bottom of the fuel tank. :banghead:

Another favorite moment was way back in high school. I was in auto shop class and trying to get one of our shop engines running. There were 3 engines that were just mounted to stands built to run the engine on. One of them that wouldn't start at the beginning of the year was a 327 Chevy. With the genius idea of checking it for spark I held the coil wire near ground (yes, I held on to it) and cranked it over. After it sent all the voltage a points ignition system can throw through you, I in typical guy fashion cranked it over yet a second time to see if I was imagining things. I wasn't, it had spark... :banghead:

Installing my radix, I put the trottle body gasket on backwards :yellow_loser: It was one of the last things to finish the install and it was 8:00pm and I wanted to test drive it that night. My truck sound like it had a cam and the idle was off when I started it. I knew it was a vacume leak but I couldn't find where it was. Of course the last place I looked was the throttle body gasket. :banghead: Needless to say, I found it and by 9:30 I was out driving the truck...

put oil in the transmission once by trying to put oil in where you check the transmission fluid level. I was such a stupid kid when it came to cars. Needless to say the car ran a little different for awhile. It took 5 mins for it to kick into drive lol :crackup::banghead:

Another one - mounting an amplifier in the trunk of my Firebird drilled through the gas tank :banghead: and did not realize it until several days later when I tried to fill-up at the gas station and fuel was POURING out onto the ground; I had no idea a couple of 1/8" holes could drain so much gas :yellow_loser:

Mr. P. :)

I still have a small chip on my front tooth from a starter bolt which I thought was started, but wasn't. Either my friend or myself when we were 17 and built our first smallblock (283) forgot to tighten the cam bolts...sheared the front off of the cam oops. I use a cam lock plate and red loctite ever since.

Dave

Last summer, I started up my wife's car (2000 Mustang GT 'vert) and started on the "test drive" after an oil change... about 100 feet out of the driveway, I noticed the oil pressure wasn't coming up yet.

Yup... forgot to put the new oil in. :banghead: I put the oil in and things have been fine ever since.

Oh well. Get's me that much closer to the 5.4 swap when the 4.6 goes down with some strange bearing failure!

Rebuilt my buddies 235 straight 6 for his '56 Chevy Pickup...worked from 5am till 3am gettin it together and in the truck. About the time of truth, his battery was dead "click, click, click" so...I ran out and pulled the new battery outta my '56 and had him connect his end of the jumper cables...he said he was good so I sat them on my battery and "BOOM" :eek: the battery exploded and all I knew was I saw a bright white flash and had acid in my eyes, ears and mouth...found my way out to the hose and took a 10 minute shower...still don't know who cables were backwards but I guess working that long something was bound to go wrong :dunno:

Edited by 56chevywagon (see edit history)