Anyone thought of going to a T56 six speed ?

Hey Guys

Has anyone thought of swapping out the auto and going to a T56 Six speed from either a Camero SS or Vette ? From what I understand a auto takes about 40 - 80 Hp to work. I was thinking if you went to a t56 six speed you would be able to get more power to the rear end and you would get a .50 over drive instead of the .7X over the 4L65. Similer to the one in the article below

http://www.hotrod.com/2003powertour/113_day_5/

The T-56 is modded with a different extension housing to move the shifter forward to clear the seat. There was some shift rod changes but Gary wasn't more specific. The trans is not a truck piece so it's from the F-body and the right pieces now exist to plum a T56 into your older Silverado. Gary speculated the special housing was from the Viper.

You would be able to get all the pedal assembly from a stock manuel silverado truck.

Sounds like this would be sweet combo witha Magna Super Charger ( 500 hp six speed simer to the SRT truck soming out. :cheers:

Dave

Hi Dave:

I personally would never put a manual tranny in just to gain more power. I have had a couple vehicles in the past that had manual transmissions and they get annoying after awhile from stop and go traffic and such. Since my truck is a daily driver and care about how it looks and sounds more than how fast it is at the track, I’ll stick with one hand on the wheel and one on my girl… :D

The T-56 is a great tranny though, :thumbs: how would it hold up to the extra weight the SS has compared to how light the Camaro’s and corvettes are?? :confused:

The T-56 from a F-body would be doable in an AWD SS, the trick is the special tailshaft housing to bolt up to the transfer case. I've seen a rumor on the net that the T-56 tailshaft is the same as the TH350, which may make it a pretty simple swap. :confused: On a 2WD, the swap would be trivial. Just a question of how much $$$ does one want to spend.

The T-56 has only been used in the Corvette from 97 to present and for that application, it is special in that it is mounted directly to the rear differential instead of the engine block. It will not work in a "traditional" installation.

Pre '97 the Vettes used the ZF 6-speed, not the T-56.

F-bodies (all V8 powered, not just "SS") used the T-56 from '93-'02. Other cars that use the T-56 are the Cobra R and Viper.

Yes, I drive a T-56 every day. T-56 > all. :cheers:

Well I would definatly go with the Viper tranny that they are going to use in the SRT dodge truck. It can handle 550 pounds or torque. I was just wondering if anyone has done it and what the details were. The added overdrive would be nice and you could get better gas milage on the freeway as well be fun to drive around town.

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/6_speed.html

Dave

not a bad idea, but manual transmission's don't work out well in heavy vehicles. in 6th gear, the extra overdrive would be too much with only a 4.10 due to the tire size and weight. not sure if you could even keep the center console if you had a 6 speed in it. although it would be cool, sounds like a good way to break stuff. :cheers:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't guarantee it, but I would guess that the T56 would mean an end to your towing capacity (remember, the Ram SRT-10 is not rated to tow).

If these transmissions were strong enough to run behind big power in a heavy truck towing something.............. you would see them instead of the HD ZF transmissions that all bigger power trucks use.

It just seems like an awful lot of money to spend to be able to shift your own gears. Maybe its just me.................. since I had a manual trans car as a daily driver (my '91 Mustang GT). I loved it for fun, but hated it for traffic.

Archived