EFILive or HPTuners

11H

Just as it states ... I have been in the ages of AutoTap logging and Diablosport Custom tuning Since 2001 ...

I have a 2006 V-Max and am going to purchase either HPTuners or EFILive ... (So far the EFILive at $549 seems like a better deal than the HPTuners Pro for $649)

Can I get some detailed feedback on what you all feel about each?

I currently have AutoTap for GM, Ford, Chrysler (non-CAN) and wonder if they would "discount upgrade" me to the EFILIve V1? Anyone been accross this path yet?

One BIG priority for me is to be able to SAVE the oem tune and revert to it, which is nice as I carry the predator with a custom tune and the oem tune ... and in a pinch I like having it to pop in on the roll and check basic real data (Like if I am on the road and get a load of fuel that might be "off" I plug-in and check er out) ... At this point, EFILive V2 is a bit more than I want to spend to get the handheld at least ...

(zippy seems like the guy to give me the ho-down) :driving:

Thanks in adv!

11H

Edited by 11H (see edit history)

i have hpt and efi live v1. just got v2 (haven't been able to really play with it too much). I have found that efi live is far superior. The bigest difference is in the scan function. It allow much more versitility than hpt IMO. also the custom OS's that efi live provides and the new ones they are supporting i have liked alot more then what hpt supplies. Also for what it's worth, i have found efi live to be able to log and flash data quicker than HPT. but thats a small thing.

PS both systems will allow you to save your stock tune so no worry's about that.

I am sorta leaning to efilive v1 as they don't charge for black box and inputs at $550 where as to get that with hptuners you have to get the pro version at $650 ...

for my use, I like the idea of the 4 individual licenses with HPtuners, but 2 should suffice now with efilive ...

now if i can only talk them into giving me credit for my non CAN ST1 kit ... :devil:

I am sorta leaning to efilive v1 as they don't charge for black box and inputs at $550 where as to get that with hptuners you have to get the pro version at $650 ...

for my use, I like the idea of the 4 individual licenses with HPtuners, but 2 should suffice now with efilive ...

now if i can only talk them into giving me credit for my non CAN ST1 kit ...  :devil:

dollar for dollar, efi live will be cheaper in the long run. but HPT is cheaper up front. they all pretty much will do the exact same things just in different ways. Efi live does allow a few more things than hpt but nothing earth shattering. V2 allows for alot more inputs which are nice for wide bands and I've been working on hooking the ignition circut up so i can run the wave for and watch for knock. much better than the knock sensor.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm pretty much in the same position, hence the reason for reviving an old topic. :D

I'm torn between EFI Live and HP Tuners. Are both pretty user friendly? I know the workings of an internal cumbustion engine very well, and know what can happen when things are not correct, like fuel and timing. Basically I just want to know is it pretty simple to figure out, and what what are the big differences between the two?

with hptuners for $499 or pro for $649 you'd get 8 credits which is enough to tune up to 4 different vehicles.

efilive for $549 V1 with limited vehicle support only gives you licenses for 2 different vehicles.

with hptuners most of our gen 3 custom operating systems come with real time tuning

efilive's real time tuning solution is an additional $800

with hptuners pro interface you get up to 1hr 30 minutes of standalone datalogging

efilives V1 interface gives you 20 minutes.

once you see all of the limitations of efilive's V1 interface the value quickly goes down which is why they've now been on sale at that price for well over 7 months. With no CAN capability they are out of date units and cannot support any new vehicles.

More vehicle/pcm support, better pricing, & more options

:thumbs: Looks like you really did your research. Good Job, I just purchased HP tuners myself and was wondering if I made the right decision after reading foff667 comment I feel pretty good about the purchase.

• 1 month later...
I think both are great, I prefer EFILive myself. I also like how EFILive is lightyears ahead of HPT with diesel tuning, which is important to me.

I like how hptuners is lightyears ahead of efilive in vehicle support, price, licenses with your initial purchase, Real time tuning using the stock pcm, & actually having standalone datalogging. I could go on but the comparison http://mysite.verizon.net/whenn1//HPTvsV2.pdf points out the advantages for you. You chose efilive because they had support for your LBZ a few months before hptuners. And now your still waiting on support for E67 & most E38 pcm's and P12 pcm's that we've supported for over a year now.

I like how hptuners is lightyears ahead of efilive in vehicle support, price, licenses with your initial purchase, Real time tuning using the stock pcm, & actually having standalone datalogging. I could go on but the comparison http://mysite.verizon.net/whenn1//HPTvsV2.pdf points out the advantages for you. You chose efilive because they had support for your LBZ a few months before hptuners. And now your still waiting on support for E67 & most E38 pcm's and P12 pcm's that we've supported for over a year now.

And to be fair, you WORK for/with HPTuners. Don't forget to add that in as a disclaimer, William.