Custom SS Roll Pan

I've got a new SS in the driveway and can't get it in the garage. I've been in the custom truck scene for a while and all my contacts say it will be a while before a roll pan is produced for the SS due to the low production numbers.

So I contactacted a friend who is a custom builder and is very familiar with metal forming and we are going to build one ourselves. If this goes well we will post pics and see what everyone thinks.

We plan to make it look similar to the original concept trucks' roll pan but there will be a small seam between the body cladding and the roll pan. This could be filled but we don't plan on doing so because of body flex.

We will probably start the project within the next week or two; if you have any suggestions post em here. :smash:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are considering using a standard roll pan but it has to be steel so we can modify it. A patch is not an option we had considered; we will look at that option but we figure do it right or don't do it.

• 1 month later...

Ok guys i know it's been a while but we finally rolled my SS into the shop and have started on the roll pan. We decided to use a steel roll pan for a stadard silverado as a starting point.

It apears that the stock 20 inch spare will not fit once the roll pan is installed' even with the use of a spare tire relocator. We are going to measure the SS brake system and determine if a stock 16" weel will clear if so we will use it in place of the 20.

We also are going to use a hidden hitch set up so we will be able to maintain the towing capabilities.

Just purchased a digital camera and should have some initial pics soon.

Removal of the stock bumper and hitch is more involved than you would think. Lots of wires, spare hardware and all the bumper mounts have to be disasemble on the truck before the bumper will come out. took 2 of us about 1 1/2 hours.

More to follow :seeya:

I'm very interested in a roll pan!

Not only for the looks, but I'm tired of the painfully slow process of squeezing my truck into the garage.

Are you guys planning on making more than one and selling them?

We are thinking about it. Let us get the orginal done and we will have a better idea. We will be posting pics when we are done.

If we sell these you can expect them to be significantly more than the usual roll pan. Unless we can make a mold or blank of some kind and get them produced it may be cost prohibitive for most. Fiberglass, Uretahne or steel is also up in the air. This one will be all steel. We do custom work from time to time but have no mass manufacturing abilities or contacts; so who knows :confused:

The one we are building will be a one piece roll pan. It might be possible to constuct it in 3 seperate peices but we dicided againt that for now.

If anyone has any constuctive ideas (constuction, munufaturing etc.) let us know, we are open to anything right now.

It apears that the stock 20 inch spare will not fit once the roll pan is installed' even with the use of a spare tire relocator. We are going to measure the SS brake system and determine if a stock 16" weel will clear if so we will use it in place of the 20.

The spare on our SS's is a 16" spare, not a 20" (265/75/16 on a 16" steel rim)

Replacing the spare w/ a smaller diameter unit will produce unfavorable effects w/ our AWD system. I hope you can find another solution.

I like the idea of keeping the hitch, and it being hidden too!

Goodluck! :thumbs:

Well Duh,

I just assumed it was a twenty. I will look at it tonight when I get to the shop. If it is a 16 then we may be able to move it back far enough with a standard tire relocator or get lower profile rubber for it. I ordered one yesterday along with a hidden hitch and flip down mount for the tag.

I know that a smaller spare will cause problems with our AWD system if used for very long. I we have go with a smaller diameter wheel or lower profile rubber on the stock spare, it will be for use only to the next tire store.

Or you can just leave the spare in your garage and go get it if you need it. On out of town trips you can throw the spare in the bed. Or just get a AAA membership and don't sweat it :devil:

Removal of the bumper, spare and associated hardware will also reduce weight for those looking for faster track times :D

Looking forward to your custom :cheers: Roll Pan, would love to see it same as Prototype twin exhaust.

The spare tire is a 265/75/16 :rolleyes:

which almost identical(to a fraction of an inch) to the 20" ers we have a stock rubber,

the only difference you will notice is the width.

So if the 20 don't fit neither will the 16".

Do not recommend :nono: going to smaller size, agree it will have negative effect on the AWD, rear diff and possible tranny.

Another alternative is replacing :uhoh: stock rubber with Run Flat or keeping a can of Prestone Tire repair/inflate to get you to a garage to fix or replace tire.

Dr Mike :cool:

Archived