Now I'm beyond pissed

Jonmalibuss

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the cops I've rode with during my internship have been fairly decent people. One in particular doesn't let anyone off for anything he's very by the book and doesn't use his discretion at all. Another officer I ride with uses his discretion to the extreme. He lets people off for everything (even with DUIs he'll make them call a cab and he'll stay there until he watches them leave in the cab). His philosophy when it comes to traffic enforcement is to get people to change their driving habits not screw them over.

It sounds like this rookie has whatever reasons that he doesn't like you and you're going to have to figure out a way to get it to stop. Filing a complaint, breaking this stereotype he has about you, or any other number of things. It does seem like you're gonna have to get these things changed for the moment. Otherwise you're probably gonna keep getting nailed with tickets.

That's a tough situation. I used to live in a neighborhood where I got harassed and pulled over all the time for no reason. Their reasons for pulling me over ranged from, "I thought you didn't have a front plate on your truck," when it was clearly visible, to "Your tabs aren't legal," when I just picked up new ones two months prior. Also, "I saw you touch a line" and "I believe you've been drinking" when I hadn't had one drink, and "you didn't make a complete stop" when I know they sit there and pull people over for this all the time, so I always was sure to come to a complete stop. Oh yeah, another one- they would follow me to my house and block me in my driveway and shine their search light at me and ask me if I lived there! In addition to that, the cops would park in the middle of a two lane road (on an overpass) in the dark with all their lights off waiting to either catch speeders or people running stop signs. Then when I would drive up behind them they would not move or turn on any lights and just wave me through the oncoming lane. Then they would just usually follow me for a mile or two for no reason.

It's stuff like that that really makes me lose confidence with the legal system. Sorry to about your troubles but hopefully you will get it all sorted out with an attorney. Good luck.

Go to court and explain it to the judge and wait to see what he say's.

The only problem with telling it to the judge, is that unfortunately the judge regards the police officers as professional witnesses to the court; they are his eyes and ears on the street. What and how a cop says happened is usually the gospel in court, unless there is video to the contrary. Probable cause, equipment violations, minor traffic infractions, etc, etc, they can pull over pretty much anyone and cite them, and it will fall under one of those reasons. That's what I've observed while sitting in traffic court waiting to my turn, or heard from friends who used to be cadets going on ride-alongs.

Sorry you are being singled out John, I know the frustration from back in my fast motorcycle days when I felt the same way. I never got arrested, but accumulated enough citations/points to get tangled with the DMV wanting to take my license a couple times. This cop obviously has a hard on for you now, and is sharing it with his coworkers. Getting into a pissing contest with him/them will only make things worse IMO. What especially sucks is that for him, searching you out is just a fun game to play at work, but for you it's upsetting all the time and effects everyday life.

Playing it cool, doing the "yes sir, no sir" thing when stopped, putting on a front plate, and removing your front tint (or making it much lighter) will definetly help, as those are the easiest things they look for to pull someone over. Your tint IS pretty dark, and at night it's probably impossible to see in, right? If they can't see you inside your vehicle, especially at night, it raises suspision. I've had cops flip U-turns in traffic because they couldn't see inside my (past) cars - and that's exactly what they told me.

If you do those things, they will probably lighten up on you because they will see you are complying with the law. A buddy once got pulled over in his Corvette for speeding, but because he had the front plate installed (which looks horrible), they let him go.

These are all just a bunch of thoughts that came to mind from years of cat and mouse experience with police after reading your story, hope they help.

Is a front license plate optional in california?  Or required?  I am assuming that it is required in order to solicit a citation.

A front plate is required in CA; It is especially enforced in areas with camera intersections, as they need pics of the front and back of the vehicle w/plates to nail you there.

I think california needs to get their communist heads out of their a$$ then. I visited Cali and had a good time, but not for me to live there. Give me midwest america like Michigan, or even west like Montana where your business is your business and thats it. I live in Ohio and they are freakin nazis about traffic laws and such. Intersection cameras picking off speeders and red light runners (most of which I do not condone). Just seems like we lose freedoms all of the time. Freedom to choose, freedom to live our lives the way we see fit.

Is a front license plate optional in california?  Or required?  I am assuming that it is required in order to solicit a citation.

A front plate is required in CA; It is especially enforced in areas with camera intersections, as they need pics of the front and back of the vehicle w/plates to nail you there.

same with Mass. unless you have the old white and green plates. they didn't issue a front plate. until i bought the SSS, i never used my front plate. i would keep it inbetween the console and passenger seat just incase.

We used to get it all the time when we were kids, the cops would turn around and hit their lights when we passed them going the other way. They would look for ANYTHING, and almost always find something. They weren't looking at us with a bad attitude because of WHAT WE DROVE, because they would pull us over in anything we drove. :lol:

Years went by, and I ended up building an engine for a cop's Mustang.

Strangely, I was NEVER bothered again.

:crackup:

~ Pull over!

~ I'm already pulled over!

~ He's already pulled over, he can't pull over anymore!

~ I'm freakin out man!

~you are freakin out................man.

:dupe:

~ Do you know why I pulled you over?

~ No

~ How fast do you think you were going?

~ I dunno...60-65?

~ 63 mph.

~ Isn't the speed limit 65?

~ Yea. it is....

thank you supertroopers.

:nonod: Yup you're being hazed; you know it, they know it.  I agree with HRT in that you are at a higher likelyhood of being busted just because of the environment.    I'm not saying at all that what is happening to you is right.  I mean the neighborhood can't be all that great if the cops are regularly patrolling in pairs and you are a lot easier target than the real troublemakers.  I know this is going to be a stretch to say but you've totally been stereotyped and now you are going to have to break that somehow.

Mr. P.

Thats whats odd is it's just been very recent that the cops have been around the area because most of the houses in the area are over a million dollars and e live right at the base of the mountains so in general 90% of the people on the streets live in the area because it's not like people would be driving through our area to get somewhere, It would be way out of anyones way.

Well I have removed the tint today at lunch and I just finished installing the front plate. The reason I never installed it is because Chevy designed a bumper with holes in it but never made a bracket to correctly hold or fasten the plate without it looking halfassed. I ended up cutting two 1" diameter by 3/4" long spacers out of aluminum round stock and drilled a 1/4" hole in it and fastened it with two hex head stainless bolts which I polished and used stainless AN washers.

As far as the exhaust goes there is a 95db limit but it's not inforced this way because the police or the CHP aren't provided with the db meter to beable to read this. We have one at work for testing our exhaust systems and as I expected just a tad over 95bd it read 97 db. This test is done 20" from the tip at a 45* angle. We backed up the meter a bit and retested and it read 93db so we recorded this test on the db meter and I will have a print out very soon with a report stating that it's a legal exhaust system. I guess I will need to carry this info with me for the next time I get pulled over.