4L80/5E in SS

Hey guys, does anybody have infomation on a 4L80E or 85E in a SS silvy?

The SS is just installed a Radix on; the customer said he thinks the tranny is a tad weak. We're going to install a shift kit and billet servo next week, but I'm sure it's not going to stop there. Mine is fully built and has all kinds of hardened parts, but it's kind of harsh on the street. I would think a 80E would already be at the level of toughness and with a shift kit and servo , would be one bad@ss tranny. Plus, it would be totally streetable.

So, anybody have any comments or recommendations on this?

The 4L60E only takes about 500hp then starts breaking down (from personal experience).

I think the SS I'm modding is going to reach and surpass that level real soon.

I know the SS's have the 65E, which is like a mildly built 60E, but it's still not enough for these powerful trucks.

thanks,

allen

Hey guys, does anybody have infomation on a 4L80E or 85E in a SS silvy?

The SS is just installed a Radix on; the customer said he thinks the tranny is a tad weak.  We're going to install a shift kit and billet servo next week, but I'm sure it's not going to stop there.  Mine is fully built and has all kinds of hardened parts, but it's kind of harsh on the street.  I would think a 80E would already be at the level of toughness and with a shift kit and servo , would be one bad@ss tranny.  Plus, it would be totally streetable.

So, anybody have any comments or recommendations on this?

The 4L60E only takes about 500hp then starts breaking down (from personal experience).

I think the SS I'm modding is going to reach and surpass that level real soon.

I know the SS's have the 65E, which is like a mildly built 60E, but it's still not enough for these powerful trucks.

thanks,

allen

I've got an FLP which has held up without any complaints so far anyway. I'm probably making more TQ & HP than most right now and I've got in the neighborhood of 5000 miles on it with a bunch of 1/4 blasts and more take offs. If the roads are cold it scratches the tires @ the 1-2 shift. If a stock 80 is going to work it may be worth it but my thinking was the Built FLP 65 was better than a stock 80 and if I want to flip it back to stock or sell it, its not a morf. :chevy:

I built 80 is a different story and should definately hold up to whatever you can throw at it.

Keep us posted... :thumbs:

Isn't the 4L80E allot heavier than the 4L60E…

It's about 55lbs heavier, not too bad.

I've heard great things about FLP, so if we're sticking with the 65E, I'll have the best builder in the business build mine, JAGperformance.com He built mine and I abuse the hell out it, it's been holding up great.

thanks for the comments,

allen

QUOTE (blackhawk @ Nov 5 2003, 01:23 AM)

Isn't the 4L80E allot heavier than the 4L60E… 

It's about 55lbs heavier, not too bad.

I've heard great things about FLP, so if we're sticking with the 65E, I'll have the best builder in the business build mine, JAGperformance.com He built mine and I abuse the hell out it, it's been holding up great.

Since we are talking built tranny's, wouldn’t it be more cost effective to just have the 4L60E built to be able to withstand 500+hp, or would that just be a waste of time and money? :confused:

And 55lbs isn’t much, I thought they weighed allot more than that…

the 4L80E and 4L85E are great for handling power, but geared terribly and are about 3% more drag than a 4L60/5E. the main reason to not use one isn't so much the weight, it's the extra drag.

We're probably going to end up building the 65E, but they aren't the strongest tranny's to have. A lot of guys on the other truck forums have nothing but problems with them (60E), well, just lets say it's a common topic.

Does anybody know that guy Parish, with the fast-ass ext cab silvy, 4x4, well he went thru plenty of them before they quit breaking, and I think they quit breaking becuase he sold it.

So, the SS's being awd, I'm sure 500-600hp is well within reach, and it's just a matter of time before it breaks. I guess it does depend on how you drive it too.

Thanks again for the input,

allen

The main problem that may arise is whether or not it will bolt up to the t-case. It may and it may not. Every other chevy Ive ever seen always had a different T-case, but some guys on LS1 tech did research and have concluded that they use the same T-case now. so they may be interchangable now. Id wait and see what happens to Parish8 with his 4L80 swap in his Z71, thats gonna answer a lot of questions.

Weight and gears arent really a problem, weight isnt that big of a difference, and if you build it you can get low gear sets for them anyways

Hey MN C5,

How much should I expect to pay for the FLP tranny? I've got a Radix and exhaust and I'm worried about the stock unit. I'm bringing it in to the guys at TPIS to tune it and they're going to try to play with transmission(try to speed up the shifts). I'm going to order the 3 inch pulley and I expect to do a 50 shot next spring. I'd really like to see the your truck and get some ideas. I'm in the Elk River/Rogers area. :cheers:

xcelr8

Flp level5 tranny should cost about $2grand with core trade-in. I have one to and love it. MN C5 is pushing some serious torque through his with no problems. Wait time is about 2 weeks on these trannies which come ready to rock n roll. You may want to add a converter to this package for some serious launches and alot of smiles. A converter complements a supercharger nice and you'l have the tranny out anyway.

Hey MN C5,

How much should I expect to pay for the FLP tranny? I've got a Radix and exhaust and I'm worried about the stock unit. I'm bringing it in to the guys at TPIS to tune it and they're going to try to play with transmission(try to speed up the shifts). I'm going to order the 3 inch pulley and I expect to do a 50 shot next spring. I'd really like to see the your truck and get some ideas. I'm in the Elk River/Rogers area. :cheers:

The FLP tranny has held up nicely. My Converter is toast however, the lockup is gone.. :devil:

Humm, the guys at TPIS will help you out. Let me know when your going down there I'd like to see your truck. :thumbs:

Archived