Sea Foam question

Ron's SS

Hello everyone,

I was just going to run and grab a can of sea foam, since the truck has 59,000 miles and I am sure this has never been done. However, I am a little lost on the pcv valve location. I understand its on the drive side valve cover, near the fire wall. Is it sitting right on top of the cover with the breather tude going to the top of the heads? Sorry for just a basic question, but wanna make sure I stick this stuff into the right hose. For those who have done this, please inform/ a pic would be great. Thanks in advance. :chevy:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you just put it in the fuel tank?  :dunno:

you can almost put the stuff anywhere. I did my PVC, and put about the other half of the container in my fuel tank. You can mix it in with your oil too, to clean all that fun stuff out of your vavles, lifters... etc.

I thought you just put it in the fuel tank?  :dunno:

you can almost put the stuff anywhere. I did my PVC, and put about the other half of the container in my fuel tank. You can mix it in with your oil too, to clean all that fun stuff out of your vavles, lifters... etc.

So would any positive results come from adding an entire can to my fuel tank? And if so should I put it in with a full tank, half, quarter?

The primary objective is to clean the injectors, so if you do nothing else pour the Sea Foam into your near-empty gas tank and run it through your engine. BUT, these LSx engines do pull a lot of oil into the intake manifold, and what that means is carbon buildup on the back of valves and Sea Foam can help with this and IMO feeding the Sea Foam into the engine via the PCV valve makes the most sense.

I waited until it was time to change my engine oil, so that I could put in fresh oil right after treatment. I bought 2 cans of Sea Foam ($15) with my oil & filter, and also ran the fuel down to 1/8th tank (approximately 4 gallons in tank) then did the following -

1. park truck OUTSIDE and made sure engine is at full operating temerature;

2. pour 1/2 of a can into a suitable non-plastic cup or other open container (be very careful, Sea Foam EATS paint), and then let the running engine sip it all out of the cup through the PCV valve (just dunk it into the cup and the engine will suck it into the intake) and then immediately shut off engine;

3. let engine sit for several hours;

4. pour rest of Sea Foam (1-1/2 cans) into fuel tank (again be careful with your paint);

5. restart engine and blow out carbon, it'll take a few minutes and there will be a nasty smelly white cloud coming out of the exhaust, run engine with a slowly increasing and decreasing idle until exhaust runs clear

After upper-end treatment drive the truck until the rest of the treated gas has been used (don't be afraid to run the tank below E for a few miles!).

Another alternative to Sea Foam is the Tera-Clean top-end cleaning system, any of you guys familiar with that?

Mr. P. :)

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

The primary objective is to clean the injectors, so if you do nothing else pour the Sea Foam into your near-empty gas tank and run it through your engine.  BUT, these LSx engines do pull a lot of oil into the intake manifold, and what that means is carbon buildup on the back of valves and Sea Foam can help with this and IMO feeding the Sea Foam into the engine via the PCV valve makes the most sense.

I waited until it was time to change my engine oil, so that I could put in fresh oil right after treatment.  I bought 2 cans of Sea Foam ($15) with my oil & filter, and also ran the fuel down to 1/8th tank (approximately 4 gallons in tank) then did the following -

1. park truck OUTSIDE and made sure engine is at full operating temerature;

2. pour 1/2 of a can into a suitable non-plastic cup or other open container (be very careful, Sea Foam EATS paint), and then let the running engine sip it all out of the cup through the PCV valve (just dunk it into the cup and the engine will suck it into the intake) and then immediately shut off engine;

3. let engine sit for several hours;

4. pour rest of Sea Foam (1-1/2 cans) into fuel tank (again be careful with your paint);

5. restart engine and blow out carbon, it'll take a few minutes and there will be a nasty smelly white cloud coming out of the exhaust, run engine with a slowly increasing and decreasing idle until exhaust runs clear

After upper-end treatment drive the truck until the rest of the treated gas has been used (don't be afraid to run the tank below E for a few miles!).

Another alternative to Sea Foam is the Tera-Clean top-end cleaning system, any of you guys familiar with that?

Mr.P could you post a picture of where the PCV valve is located?

Hmm how did you know that I already had my hood up today?!

1-top_cover.jpg

2-left_cover.jpg

3-left_cover.jpg

4-PCV_hoses.jpg

5-PCV_valve.jpg

While you're at it, replace the PCV valve with the new improved Z06 PCV valve (Fram FV391 or equivalent) - the newer design PCV valve is better at preventing oil from being sucked into the intake.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Hmm how did you know that I already had my hood up today?!

1-top_cover.jpg

2-left_cover.jpg

3-left_cover.jpg

4-PCV_hoses.jpg

5-PCV_valve.jpg

While you're at it, replace the PCV valve with the new improved Z06 PCV valve (Fram FV391 or equivalent) - the newer design PCV valve is better at preventing oil from being sucked into the intake.

Thanks MrP. You are always so helpful