New EFI Live User

bsteff

I'm pretty fired up because UPS delivered my EFI Live today :driving: . I have been researching and reading for a long time. I got everything setup and saved my stock tune.

I was looking around in the transmission calibrations and noticed that Abuse Mode kicks in at 5% TPS and 1500 RPM. Does this mean that Torque Reduction is almost always affecting a stock truck, or do other conditions need to exist to make Abuse Mode kick in.

I also plan on doing some VE tunning soon. Does weather have any affect on this since the MAF will be unplugged. Its near 0 deg in Minnesota right now. I would think this would make the engine seem more volumetrically efficient since the air is denser.

Thanks

I'm pretty fired up because UPS delivered my EFI Live today  :driving: .  I have been researching and reading for a long time.  I got everything setup and saved my stock tune.

I was looking around in the transmission calibrations and noticed that Abuse Mode kicks in at 5% TPS and 1500 RPM.  Does this mean that Torque Reduction is almost always affecting a stock truck, or do other conditions need to exist to make Abuse Mode kick in.

I also plan on doing some VE tunning soon.  Does weather have any affect on this since the MAF will be unplugged.  Its near 0 deg in Minnesota right now.  I would think this would make the engine seem more volumetrically efficient since the air is denser.

Thanks

Welcome to the EFI Live club. :D

There are other conditions needed to activate abuse mode, the 5% throttle is just one of the enabling conditions.

For the VE tuning, you don't want to unplug the MAF. The IAT sensor sits within the MAF housing. What you will need to do is disable the MAF in the Engine Diagnostics section. Set the Maf High Frequency Fail to 1 and the Maf High Frequency Fail Limit to 1.

The PCM's internal calculations should take intake temp into account, especially considering that the VE table is not a true Volumetric Efficiency table. It is a table of data that is stored in the units (g*K/kPa) where K is intake temp degrees in Kelvin. The % value that you see is just a converted value based on an arbitrary temperature (user-defined in the Edit / Properties Menu).

Justin

• 2 months later...
smile.gif Welcome to the fun! Im always around when you have some questions about the software. Thier forum also has no question unanswered.

I am new to the e38 PCM in the SSS. I tune my TBSS and have done a pretty good job, in my opinion. Now I am tuning my friends 05 Silverado SS and am having a hard time figuring out what to change. I have played with mostly the same tables, but his truck throwsa "Long Term Fuel Trim" code when it gets run at WOT. So I backed off a few tables and now it is getting crappy MPG, its really doggish, and it falls on its face after the 1-2 shift...anyone think they can help me navigate the E38 tables and figure out what to do?

:driving:

Edited by Evil SS 2006 (see edit history)

I am new to the e38 PCM in the SSS. I tune my TBSS and have done a pretty good job, in my opinion. Now I am tuning my friends 05 Silverado SS and am having a hard time figuring out what to change. I have played with mostly the same tables, but his truck throwsa "Long Term Fuel Trim" code when it gets run at WOT. So I backed off a few tables and now it is getting crappy MPG, its really doggish, and it falls on its face after the 1-2 shift...anyone think they can help me navigate the E38 tables and figure out what to do?

:driving:

SSS doesn't use the E38 controller. ;)

From your other post, here is some simple advice to start with.

Don't adjust the injector flow rate table unless you've physically changed the rate that they flow. Altering IFR to adjust fuel trims is a hack and not ideal.

For your shifting issue, leave the VSS upshift a bit below the rpm shift point. The transmission will only perform an upshift when all conditions have been met (this means WOT RPM, WOT MPH and part throttle MPH).

I'd suggest going back to a stock tune, and starting over. Then, start off with the torque reduction, various shift firmness tables, etc before going in and messing with the fueling. Read all of the table descriptions in the software and anything you can on forum.efilive.com.

SSS doesn't use the E38 controller. ;)

From your other post, here is some simple advice to start with.

Don't adjust the injector flow rate table unless you've physically changed the rate that they flow. Altering IFR to adjust fuel trims is a hack and not ideal.

For your shifting issue, leave the VSS upshift a bit below the rpm shift point. The transmission will only perform an upshift when all conditions have been met (this means WOT RPM, WOT MPH and part throttle MPH).

I'd suggest going back to a stock tune, and starting over. Then, start off with the torque reduction, various shift firmness tables, etc before going in and messing with the fueling. Read all of the table descriptions in the software and anything you can on forum.efilive.com.

Okay, now thats exactly what I have done, pulled back to stock, and started over, left the VSS points lower, made the RPMs what I wanted, lessended Torque Management and Torque Reduction. Now where do I go for performance gains like I've seen in my TBSS?

Its been about a month and a half since I logged into his PCM...its not an E38? What is it? I do feel retarded now...I cant recall what it is then???