Installed Belltech Leafpacks

well tonight i noticed that the spacers were on the wrong side of the leafs (way to go belltech). so i switched them arround, truck went up about 3/4 an inch. put the button bumpstops in from belltech(like 1/4 inch tall), and the truck wont bottom out. still rides really harsh. how stiff are these supposed to be???

Not to be a dick, but this makes me wonder, did you put them in the right way? They are marked for which eye goes to the front and which to the rear? I have these and the only time I bottomed out was on a wicked bump in the road, and that was only once.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well tonight i noticed that the spacers were on the wrong side of the leafs (way to go belltech). so i switched them arround, truck went up about 3/4 an inch. put the button bumpstops in from belltech(like 1/4 inch tall), and the truck wont bottom out. still rides really harsh. how stiff are these supposed to be???

Not to be a dick, but this makes me wonder, did you put them in the right way? They are marked for which eye goes to the front and which to the rear? I have these and the only time I bottomed out was on a wicked bump in the road, and that was only once.

no offense taken :driving: like i said, i dont think its possible to screw up lol. im ASE certified at that, and the bolts are different sizes in the hangers than in the shackles, so it only fits one way. also they are bowed, and if i put them in upside down, i dont think i couldve gotten the wheel on :crackup: it absoultely doesnt bottom out, i was just making sure it is supposed to be so stiff..... now i know they are

no offense taken :driving: like i said, i dont think its possible to screw up lol. im ASE certified at that, and the bolts are different sizes in the hangers than in the shackles, so it only fits one way. also they are bowed, and if i put them in upside down, i dont think i couldve gotten the wheel on :crackup: it absoultely doesnt bottom out, i was just making sure it is supposed to be so stiff..... now i know they are

Upside down= more drop :thumbs: haha

according to two guys at belltech, the leafs ride worse but should (SHOULD) not have to change pinion or carrier bearing angle. 4 inch drop with shackles and hangers will apparently ride better but there will certainly be vibration issues with that set up according to both guys i talked to. i just rode in my friends reg cab 00 gmc and he just put the 3 inch leafs in. pretty harsh ride but he hasnt removed the bumpstop bracket yet so it might improve. stance is excellent though. his is basically level with no drop in the front. don't know if thats because he's rocking coils in the front or not but his is same height as mine is with 2 inch drop spindles up front anyways. his is a one piece driveshaft so no vibration for him. he had already bought the 2 inch shorter coils but after doing the rear, he isnt going to install them. remains to be seen about mine.

according to two guys at belltech, the leafs ride worse but should (SHOULD) not have to change pinion or carrier bearing angle. 4 inch drop with shackles and hangers will apparently ride better but there will certainly be vibration issues with that set up according to both guys i talked to. i just rode in my friends reg cab 00 gmc and he just put the 3 inch leafs in. pretty harsh ride but he hasnt removed the bumpstop bracket yet so it might improve. stance is excellent though. his is basically level with no drop in the front. don't know if thats because he's rocking coils in the front or not but his is same height as mine is with 2 inch drop spindles up front anyways. his is a one piece driveshaft so no vibration for him. he had already bought the 2 inch shorter coils but after doing the rear, he isnt going to install them. remains to be seen about mine.

Define worse? Anything sporty will give a more solid feel, because you are trying to stop things like body roll, and sway. To me I feel the truck is more planted than, more of a harsh ride. I also went with the nitro shock for the rear, they seemed to have helped.

Define worse? Anything sporty will give a more solid feel, because you are trying to stop things like body roll, and sway. To me I feel the truck is more planted than, more of a harsh ride. I also went with the nitro shock for the rear, they seemed to have helped.

didnt get into a discussion with these two guys at belltech about worse in particular but it basically boiled down to there own words that went something like this. "you want it to ride like stock? then get the hanger kit but keep in mind you'll be fighting vibration. you want a little harsher ride with far less chance of driveline vibration? get the leafpacks." essentially their words. and i think the leafs limit your cargo capaceties about 25 percent but who cares. im after the stance more than anything at this point. i personally am not too concerned with how it rides even though the roads up here in northern cali are horrible. truck rides like a truck already so how much worse can it be? i have the nitro drop shocks on now and can't tell a difference from the stockers. probably cause im only dropped two inches though.

I don't see how the leafs will eliminate possible vibration issues just because you have the stock hangers and shackles. The vibrations come from the change in angle of the final driveshaft section and pinion angle. The pinion angle may stay the same, but the angle on the final driveshaft section definately goes upward. This is why the carrier bearing relocator has to be used.

The leaf packs may work great for the 1-piece DS guys, but the 2-piece DS guys will more than likely suffer.

I cant stand these vibration problems I have anymore. I'm taking my 2-piece DS to Randy's Driveshafts to be balanced, high heat straightened, yokes replaced with stronger ones, and u-joints replaced with stronger ones. Costing me $380.00!! Not what I was looking forward to at all. Hopefully this will help. I'm bringing the truck to one other highly recommended local shop in Houston, hopefully they will get my angle corrected and ridding me of vibrations...... I'm crossing my fingers. 4 months working on suspension is no longer a challenge to me, it's now a disaster!

Good luck to any of you 2-piece DS guys that lower their VHO or 2wd SS!

Jim

yea it rides horrible. and if you think about the 25% load decrease, thats over a stock truck. a truck with a shackle/hanger drop would be more like a 50+% reduction. its the same hieght, but the belltech leafs are much stiffer. so in reality, i think the belltechs would tow better. they will not bottom out either, must have an overload leaf. also, stock shocks are not capable of handling the increase in spring rate. contrary to rumors, they DO NOT bottom out with a drop, i have found that they travel all the way. this is only 100% right for the 05+, the older trucks had different shocks. couldve been better or worse, i just dont know. the front is having the hardest time handling the increase in srping rate, due to having the spindles and keys with a 2.5" drop. BIG handling increase tho, and ride is fantastic in front, very smooth and forgiving. i also did the Mr.P hole drilling mod :driving:

you should try loosening up the shackle botls and spring eye bolts, take it for a ride and tighten them so they just start to touch the bushing locks. I've seen a million guys over tighten these or do it with air, over tighten them and now the suspention dosn't have the articulation it needs. those bushings need to be free enough to pivot easily or the shackles will never be allowed to do their job and the spring will never really compress. try it out, you shouldn't have a harsh ride, just firm. Also, the stock shock will take travel to let the axel hit the frame and still have about a 1/2 inch more to go so you don't have to worry about those bottoming out ever. unless you plan on boxing the frame and doing some dragging. hope this helps.

has anyone done the belltech leafpack with the McGaughy's shackles and hangers?? if so what was the end result??

an axle riding on the frame, a cnotch would be needed then , and if you were going that low you might want to do a flip kit.

what if used helper bags ??

that wouldnt make sense you can only go so low without hitting the frame you could acheive the most drop possible without the leaf springs, bags are only to help with load weight they will make the suspension go up and down a but but like i said there owuld be no point in using all of those components.