Replacing clutch packs

I am soon to pull out my tranny to do some work to it. Nothing major, just normal upgrade stuff.

What I was wondering was if anyone had ever replaced any of the clutch packs or bands before? Ever seen it done?

I can pretty easily attain the upgraded packs and manuals on how to do it. Just want to know how difficult it is on a scale of, say, 1-5?

I know I may need special tools and that's easy too. I don't feel that the tranny is some magical box and wouldn't have any hesitation in doing as long as I felt like I could. My wife....may be a different story.

Any tranny heads out there?

It's not hard, are you going to go with 8 clutches? The hardest part is getting it in and out of the truck.

FWIW, Chuck at FLP just got a State of the Art Transmission Dyno. This will mean he can blow them up on the bench :cool: . With the electric trans dyno he can load each gear at a specific rpm. Should mean good things for all of us :thumbs:

Good Luck Ben :smash: Let us know if you have any left over parts :jester:

It's not hard, are you going to go with 8 clutches? The hardest part is getting it in and out of the truck.

The kit I have been looking at have 9 friction, 8 steel. Still kind of throwing this idea around. I just read the instructions on how to install a 3-4 clutch pack, didn't seem too difficult if you read slowly.

i do all my own and one's for other's. i can get you pics probably tomorrow to help you out. i recomend raybestos blue plate specials with a raybestos kevlar band and koelene steels. while your in there, that boost valve and a shift kit would make it just about right. i use the alto reds for an average set up, but for any serious power, the raybestos blues are the thing to use, that's what i have in my truck now and it's about the only thing that held up in my buddies camaro.

no problem. i happen to have a 4L60E (pretty much identical as far as this goes) sitting next to our trans bench i was gong to bring back to storage thursday. i'll just run through most of your steps and get some pics. you'll be somewhat lucky that you won't have to replace the seals. the seals are the hardest part and with your low milage you should be fine. i'll see what i can come up with. :thumbs:

Zippy - Ben, maybe you should post those pics up for others to use as well. ;)

:thumbs:

Just didn't want him to be space limited. The more pics the better. I'm a picture oriented guy. Comes from all those young years "reading" Playboy.

Ben, your final shipment should show up at your alternate address either Fri or Sat. Hopefully Firday. I threw in a little something extra. ;)

Ben, I know all about you "alternate address". How much you willin to pay to keep me quiet. :D

Ben, your final shipment should show up at your alternate address either Fri or Sat.  Hopefully Firday.  I threw in a little something extra.  ;)

Ben, I know all about you "alternate address". How much you willin to pay to keep me quiet. :D

Shhhhhhhhh........I already offered to help you rip apart your truck and install that bumpstick you got out in the garage. I can't afford anything else - I'm nearly tapped out. ;)

Archived