Radix charged SS finally tuned

Farmtruc

I was finally able to tune that SS I've been talking about. I'm not trying to yank my own chain, but omg, what a difference. Fixing the tables and fixing the shifts made a huge difference. We got a/f ratio corrected also.

I remember mnc5 asking some questions about flow rate.

The SS put out about 421gm/sec for the maf rate.

There was 0 KR, after I got the ltrims and a/f ratio right.

Injectors were at 18.1 msec if anybody wanted to know.

02's read about 900 or so and a/f was at 12.5-7 to 1

As far as sotp, the difference was noticable. The truck actually peels out for about 5feet now, it never did that. He used to be able to make a 90deg turn from a dead stop and handle it, now it will get away from him.

Crusing at around 30mph and having it downshift into 1st is a nice feeling. The truck launches hard and no hesitation. Also 3rd gear is even better, the pulley helpd a lot , but now it just continues to pull thru all gears. We only got to 125 because we ran out of road, maybe next time we can take it faster.

I asked him if he'd like to see what it feels like in the passenger side, he said yes. So, i asked if he was ready, hahaha, he said ya, so i punched it, his arms raised and his head hit the headrest and I scared him, lol.

I seriously think this SS can take an L now. We're going to the track this friday to what the results are.

Next up is a 3000 stall (only becuase he tows), cam and LT's(he has shorties now).

Later, I'll try to get him to spray a 50shot. That ought to make for a badass take off, hehe.

later,

allen

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like how the Yanks hold up and stall, so i'll probably recommend a yank thruster 3000.

He tows regulary, not a lot of weight, but enuff not to go to a 3200 or 3500.

A 3500 stall would be awesome in there.

For the cam, I like TR's "old man cam" it has very high lifts (.600) and also a high lsa. That should keep boost built up.

He could go with an aggressive cam and get away with more timing so i'm not sure yet.

He said he doesn't mind the lope at all and would actually prefer a lope.

So, the cam above might be too calm for him.

Anybody have any experience with a more aggressive cam and lower lsa in a Radix charged truck?

Something like 224/224 , .560 and 112lsa. How do you think that would work with the radix?

It will definitely lope and he'll love that, but i'm not too sure how it will affect it. Hell, I don't think compcams knows either, I called them and told them about the setup and they sounded unsure. Forget about calling the Radix tech support, they don't recommend any further tuning, smaller pulley and they specifically said they haven't tested any cams other than stock. Jeee, thanks for the help.

I'm open to suggestions on the cam.

thanks,

allen

i'd recomend using a vig over the yank, but either are nice. a 3000 stall behind that is likely to stall much higher due to the extra torque anyway. if he's towing perosnally i'd stick with a 2600 which would probably flash stall up to around 3000 with his set up anyway. as for the cam, i'd look into comp cams no. XR265HR as a possibility.

A 3500 stall would be awesome in there.

For the cam, I like TR's "old man cam" it has very high lifts (.600) and also a high lsa.  That should keep boost built up.

He could go with an aggressive cam and get away with more timing so i'm not sure yet.

He said he doesn't mind the lope at all and would actually prefer a lope. 

So, the cam above might be too calm for him.

Anybody have any experience with a more aggressive cam and lower lsa in a Radix charged truck?

Something like 224/224 , .560 and 112lsa.  How do you think that would work with the radix?

It will definitely lope and he'll love that, but i'm not too sure how it will affect it.  Hell, I don't think compcams knows either, I called them and told them about the setup and they sounded unsure.  Forget about calling the Radix tech support, they don't recommend any further tuning, smaller pulley and they specifically said they haven't tested any cams other than stock.  Jeee, thanks for the help.

I'm open to suggestions on the cam.

thanks,

allen

I've got a PY3400E and its to much stall for a heavy truck. I'm going to change to a 2600 stall.

I had a 224/224 on a 112 565 lift installed.... Zero overlap= A great Cam Choice IMHO. It's got a nice soft lope and big power down low.

I've since changed cams to something larger and it does make more power but at a higher rpm. If I pluck the motor again I'd go with a smaller cam than I'm currently running.

It's interesting to hear you didn't have any KR. Does the trick have headers? What kind of timing are you running? 20 degrees or less?

Thanks for sharing :thumbs:

I was finally able to tune that SS I've been talking about. I'm not trying to yank my own chain, but omg, what a difference. Fixing the tables and fixing the shifts made a huge difference. We got a/f ratio corrected also.

I remember mnc5 asking some questions about flow rate.

The SS put out about 421gm/sec for the maf rate.

There was 0 KR, after I got the ltrims and a/f ratio right.

Injectors were at 18.1 msec if anybody wanted to know.

02's read about 900 or so and a/f was at 12.5-7 to 1

As far as sotp, the difference was noticable. The truck actually peels out for about 5feet now, it never did that. He used to be able to make a 90deg turn from a dead stop and handle it, now it will get away from him.

Crusing at around 30mph and having it downshift into 1st is a nice feeling. The truck launches hard and no hesitation. Also 3rd gear is even better, the pulley helpd a lot , but now it just continues to pull thru all gears. We only got to 125 because we ran out of road, maybe next time we can take it faster.

I asked him if he'd like to see what it feels like in the passenger side, he said yes. So, i asked if he was ready, hahaha, he said ya, so i punched it, his arms raised and his head hit the headrest and I scared him, lol.

I seriously think this SS can take an L now. We're going to the track this friday to what the results are.

Next up is a 3000 stall (only becuase he tows), cam and LT's(he has shorties now).

Later, I'll try to get him to spray a 50shot. That ought to make for a badass take off, hehe.

later,

allen

What did you use - LS1Edit?

Good stuff Allen. You need to buy a Gtech Pro Comp for your "toolkit". ;)

IMO - Lope and boost = :nono:

You go with a cam that big, and you'll end up hurting that motor. To take advantage of the powerband of that cam, it will have to spin well into the 6000s. On a stock bottom end motor with boost, you'll have issues at some point.

BigTex: When you say a cam that big, do you mean the 224-112 cam or the "old mans cam" with the high lift. Here's the cam I think would do fine: 215/220 .600/.523 115 LSA what do you think?

Slim: I thought you might need some motivation to get down here hahaha. jk

I used ls1edit. It requires a lot of patience, a laptop, and diag software. It's a nice tool, but needs a lot of work and bugs fixed.

MNC5: The truck has shorty JBA headers, we'll get some LT's on it soon. The truck had 0 KR and that was before I tuned and with the 3" pulley. I haven't heard too much about the Radix and KR issues, but maybe this guy is lucky with his setup. I actually raised the timing quite a bit. So , are you saying the 224 cam you mentioned is a good one, he'll like the lope. Just wanna make sure he has his lowend power.

I did notice the SS's stall pretty high from the factory, I wasn't trying to get max stall from his, but it reached 2000rpm with no problem, and it felt like it would go higher, I may reconsider the 3000stall and go for a 2800 or so.

thanks for the suggestions.

allen

------------------------

On a side note, The '03 reg cab came out great too, we went with a smaller pulley on that Radix also, and boost went from 6.2 to 9.5, whooaaa!!

I had to back the timing off a tad so it wouldn't detonate, pinging was only noticable and logged at the top of second gear. Now that he's back down in Mexico, he says he's getting a little knock, we agreed it's the gas down there. I'll send him another pcm and pull just a tad more to be safe, he's only getting KR at the top of 2nd again, normal driving, 1st and 3rd are fine.

The truck runs pretty damn strong now, but i think he needs a cam in it.

Since you have to register on ls1truck.com, here's his post:

(am i allowed to post this?)

Farmtruc did the tuning and installed the 2.90 pulley in my truck and all I can say is that the truck feels so daaaamn good. The boost gauge reached 9.5 psi

I can't get traction at all

The tuning is great, I highly recommend it, allen tuned the truck without the smaller pulley first and it really woke it up, I´m very happy with the results.

Joe from JAG Performance did the shift kit and now the truck can't stop spining the tires in second gear, feels great. For normal daily driving it was a little to much for me, it did hit to hard (the install was with just one washer), so farmtruc raised TM a little in normal driving and erased it at WOT, so now the daily driving is ok, but when I punch the gas the beast starts screaming like hell and leaving tire marks everywhere.

So Farmtruc and JAG, keep up with the good work

that looks like alot of lift on the intake side for a forced induction set up. if you use that cam i'd add 1.85 rockers on the exhaust side. getting the air in isn't a problem with the blower, it's getting it out that's more of an issue.

Its my opinion that the low LSA and high duration and lift bleed off cylinder pressure at low rpms. That means less low end power. MN C5 can get away with it because he has 60+ more cubic inches and a big stall. The old man cam is OK, but I wouldnt want that high lift. You are asking for premature spring failure. You don't need that much lift on the intake anyway with a blower. ON a NA vahicle, that lift aids in filling the cylinder, but you have 8 psi forcing its way in, so the extra high lift isn't needed.

Its my opinion that the low LSA and high duration and lift bleed off cylinder pressure at low rpms. That means less low end power. MN C5 can get away with it because he has 60+ more cubic inches and a big stall. The old man cam is OK, but I wouldnt want that high lift. You are asking for premature spring failure. You don't need that much lift on the intake anyway with a blower. ON a NA vahicle, that lift aids in filling the cylinder, but you have 8 psi forcing its way in, so the extra high lift isn't needed.

Bigtex, thanks for the comments, I'll def. take that in consideration and agree with on the bleeding off, that's one reason why you can add more timing on a cammed car.

There's always this cam too: 220/220 .553/.553 114 LSA , I've experienced this cam in several cars and one truck and it's a nice cam, really woke up the truck.

Benkey, you're gonna go higher than 9.5, is that on the SS? if so, get some tuning and monitor it, then you'll be just fine. I wonder how 9.5psi would run on a lq9?

Anybody know how long the 65E is going to hold up in the SS? I'm sure the truck has to be pushing 450hp or more. Mods are shorties, tuning, radix, duals, intake.

thanks,

allen

Archived