new member questions and comments

stevebbb

I have been looking at SS trucks for a couple of months. I really like the looks of them, but when I drove a stock one, it didn't really seem to have any more power than my 2000 Silverado.

Does a person have to do a lot of modification to make them run? What are the most commen mods to make them run better? Does this do anything to the warranty?

All the dealers if my area (South East Iowa) have at least 2- 2003's in stock and some have 2003's and 2004's. One local dealer has 4 in stock. They just didn't seem to sell here. They are really offering GREAT deals trying to move the 2003's out. Most dealers are willing to take a big loss, just to get rid of them.

I know this is long and my questions have probably been answered before, but thanks in advance.

I too had a 2000 1500 that I really loved. At first I wasn't impressed by the SS. It seems to "wake UP" after about 500 miles and you get rid of the cheap 87 octane the dealers put in it. These trucks are meant to run on 91 or higher. And the AWD kinda worried me. Wasn't sure if it acted like a true 4x4, until I drove it in some snow and loose gravel. I have to say, I am totally in love with this truck. I hope to never have to buy another. ( until something better comes along) The "value" of buying a 2003 compared to a 2004 is that the 03 is the first run. Possibly collectible in the near future, especially if GM stops making them. They really are not selling well. The sticker usually scares most people away. Plus, they have a real "expensive" look to them that intimidates people. We didn't think we could afford one either. Turns out we are paying less a month for this than we were for the 2000. And, this truck has a boatload more options and a bigger motor. Overall, I think the SS is really a good buy. Just be careful of all the money you end up spending afterwards. These trucks are just begging to be modified. :thumbs:

I agree with jeffnjill, it takes a few break-in miles to wake up. My first impression was the same, it didn't have the power that I thought it might. But I could definitely feel more torque in the lower rpms, throttle response was better and overall vehicle handling was better than my 99 Z71. With a few mods and some mileage, my truck is much stronger than my previous truck.

Give it a chance, you'll like it.

Archived