Went back to the track

Simon

I went to Napierville Dragway again. I changed my stall to a 3000, changed exhaust and gained a lot since last time.

I did :

2.024 60'

9.126 1/8 mile

14.28 1/4 mile

96.73 mph

Before exhaust and converter:

2.113 60'

9.418 1/8

14.67 1/4

93.725 mph

Also I ran against a Ram SRT-10 reg cab short bed. As I read my slips I notice that I've won the first race against him. That explains the look on his face lol :crackup: He won the other race with :

2.248 60'

9.121 1/8

14.028 1/4

105.25 mph

I had a run against the new Tundra reg cab long bed. The guy claims he just bought it and it's brand new. I won but not by much. He did :

2.114 60'

9.360 1/8

14.594 1/4

96.112 mph

I did :

2.129 60'

9.395 1/8

14.591 1/4

96.025 mph

So why am I as slow as the Tundra with 0$ in mods??? Are they that strong?

I thought I would break in the 13's this time but it doesn't look like it...

Do you guys have any idea?

post-8328-1179873852_thumb.jpg

Edited by Simon (see edit history)

what is your converter really flashing at. Is it a true 3000? if the converter is a little tight, you could have the same problem i do, the converter is to tight for the cam. Your running the exact same 60 foot times as me and you have a slightly longer duration cam. Are you launching at a set rpm or launching off idle? But don't feel bad it took me a similar cam and heads to get into the 13's. And i see you have a nelson tune, so i assume it was not in person, just a mail order? A in person tune could help a bit to.

Brad

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

I tried to launch at different rpm's . Around 2000 gave me a good launch. I didn't try to brake stall it yet, but I'll try and see. I didn't even try to launch from idle. I got my best time launching at 1500 though...yes the tune is a mail order. I was wondering if I should have bought a 3200 stall :wtf:

it depends on how loose the converter is that you have. If it does stall to 3000 it's not bad. What rpm does the truck hit at when you launch, or take off when you you floor it. Brake stall can depend on how much your brakes can hold. My converter flashes at about 2600-2700 but my brake stall is only 2000. My brakes can't hold past that. Trying diff. rpm launches is the best way to go. Pay attention to your 60 foot time when trying it. A lot of factors can affect the 1/4 mile ET, but 60 foot is usually pretty common day to day, it can change with weather and temps, but all your runs in one day should be pretty common. Also try just flashing the converter by launching at idle. Thats how i get my best 60 foot. I guess you could say it gives the motor a running start on the converter and usaully flashes the converter at a slightly higher rpm. but based on what i see with my truck, a 3200 would be perfect with the duration you have, at least the 114 lsa gives a flatter torque curve, which helps with a tight stall.

Hopefully zippy, mr.P, benkey, chase, frank, or any of the other really knowledgeable guys can give you some better advice. But like i said, your times are really good, i just went through this my self thinking the truck had the potential to run better....you just have to be patient to find the one missing link. I do think a in person tune would help a lot though. At the track would be even better, so they can log the truck with out worrying about a speeding ticket or hurting someone. or even if you have a logging software and email it to a tuner.

Brad

that does not seem right, I run better w/o a cam???

do you have a way to send a scan?? Talking with a tuner would be good but having some info to share with them would get you going quicker.

My personal best is in my sig, and Zippy said he could get a little better with the next tune...

If I had to guess judging by your parts list you have a problem in your tuning. You should be in the 13.9 area or so. That converter should be plenty loose enough for 1.9 60' times or better.

My biggest concern for you is the inconsistency. Why did you slow down nearly 6 hundredths between the two runs? There's a problem there somewhere I think. Once I got my tuning dialed in, I run within 5 hundredths all day. Just my opinion.

my truck will run 2 tenths different between passes....if you hot lap it it makes a difference or if you try diff. launching rpms, or if the runs are spaced far enough part that the outside temps start to drop off. You know that everything effects consistency on a bracket racing car.

I went to Napierville Dragway again. I changed my stall to a 3000, changed exhaust and gained a lot since last time.

I did :

2.024 60'

9.126 1/8 mile

14.28 1/4 mile

96.73 mph

that does not seem right, I run better w/o a cam???

do you have a way to send a scan?? Talking with a tuner would be good but having some info to share with them would get you going quicker.

My personal best is in my sig, and Zippy said he could get a little better with the next tune...

he ran a 14.28 if i read it right. just can't explain the drop after that

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

Thanks for the replies so far. Sniper : I read your topic as well and find that we have a similar problem...our cam is close. Very interesting. I am surprised that you cannot brake stall it beyond 2000 rpm. Those brakes can't hold the truck I have to press as hard as I can to hold it to 3000.

My first run was right after I get off the highway. I did the same thing last time I went. My best run is always the first one. After that I don't know what happens but it slows down a bit. I also tried different rpm's to launch that's why there is so much inconsistency. It was around 14.5 all night after my first run. Go figure. I have an aluminium CAI that may warm the air or maybe the truck is hotter although it's been at the same temps after that.

Also guys I don't have headers...could that be something. I also read about the intake limitation of the truck beyond 5000 rpm....

So from what I see you get a better launch from idle is that it Sniper?

Detjoe : I don't have a way of playing with my tuning at all.... :shakehead:

Edited by Simon (see edit history)

Thanks for the replies so far. Sniper : I read your topic as well and find that we have a similar problem...our cam is close. Very interesting. I am surprised that you cannot brake stall it beyond 2000 rpm. Those brakes can't hold the truck I have to press as hard as I can to hold it to 3000.

My first run was right after I get off the highway. I did the same thing last time I went. My best run is always the first one. After that I don't know what happens but it slows down a bit. I also tried different rpm's to launch that's why there is so much inconsistency. It was around 14.5 all night after my first run. Go figure. I have an aluminium CAI that may warm the air or maybe the truck is hotter although it's been at the same temps after that.

Also guys I don't have headears...could that be something. I also read about the intake limitation of the truck beyond 5000 rpm....

launch from idle. with my torque converter it works best from a stand still.

Also guys I don't have headers...could that be something. I also read about the intake limitation of the truck beyond 5000 rpm....

Detjoe : I don't have a way of playing with my tuning at all.... :shakehead:

At least for my truck yes, launching from idle works the best. But if you can hold it to 3000, hell i'd try launching there. What are your shift points at? Do you have a ram air set up, or a sealed box, or just a filter hanging off the end of the pipe. I found with my truck the ram air works great for hot lapping. Other wise if you let the truck cool down, i mean sit for like an hour or more between each run so the temp gauge shows 160-170, then quick stage it and run with it as it hits operating temp, that showed up to a 2 tenth gain for me. Now, with the ram air, my truck runs best right after the 1st cold run, like it needs the heat in the oil, but doesn't heat soak the intake. Zippy and frank have been telling me then headers make a big difference. Chase said he got a great gain from them to.

I'm not sure why i can't brake stall it either, I blow the brake booster out once already, i wonder if i did it again. I'll try all new pads and rotors first, but after that it's anyones guess. I even have the earls SS brake lines for it.

Brad

I've always wondered what these new Titans would be running since they hype them up so much about how fast they are...... And I gotta admit they do apparently move!

Nice on takin that guy in the SRT-10. He didn't know how to run that thing though.... I raced against one and all he had was a K&N and he was runnin 12.8s at 110. I think you can get your 60 down a little w/ that converter though.

At least for my truck yes, launching from idle works the best. But if you can hold it to 3000, hell i'd try launching there. What are your shift points at? Do you have a ram air set up, or a sealed box, or just a filter hanging off the end of the pipe. I found with my truck the ram air works great for hot lapping. Other wise if you let the truck cool down, i mean sit for like an hour or more between each run so the temp gauge shows 160-170, then quick stage it and run with it as it hits operating temp, that showed up to a 2 tenth gain for me. Now, with the ram air, my truck runs best right after the 1st cold run, like it needs the heat in the oil, but doesn't heat soak the intake. Zippy and frank have been telling me then headers make a big difference. Chase said he got a great gain from them to.

I'm not sure why i can't brake stall it either, I blow the brake booster out once already, i wonder if i did it again. I'll try all new pads and rotors first, but after that it's anyones guess. I even have the earls SS brake lines for it.

Brad

You can't brake stall high enough because your converter is just plain too tight.