hi all, i am a newb...

vette dude

ok, this is my first post, on silveradoss.com, My name is Robert Sheets, anyone who is a member @ CF :seeya: ... so anyway, i am a total newb to the truck, and i wanted to know what the best mods are, money to power... what exhausts and headers wprk good, i go to pic up the ss tomorow, 12/9/03 it is onyx black... I ook forward to geting the truck so :cheers:

Best bang for the buck, IMO:

1. new cam

2. 2600 or 3000 stall converter w/shift kit and servo change.

Around $1k and you'll feel like you have a whole new truck.

Enjoy modding it and welcome to the site. :thumbs:

1. new cam

2. 2600 or 3000 stall converter w/shift kit and servo change.

what is ur magna charger like? i have thought about nitrous... how is that? what about a turbo? who is a good tuning company? and what about durability of the drive train? ohh. and what is the best exhaust/header combo...i knw it is alot to answer, but i would apreciate an answer... :thumbs:

:cheers: an early congrats on the new truck...we dont' expect to hear from you for a few days...first day i got mine i couldn't get out of the drivers seat...i am sure that you will find all the information that you need and then some..we have a lot of great guys with loads of information...

good luck, get you wallet broken in and memorize you credit card numbers - trust me... :crazy:

ssminne :thumbs:

what is ur magna charger like?

I love the Magnacharger Radix. It's horsepower that's always "on-call" whenever I want to use it. Or, you can say that it's on-call fun. :D One of the best blowers out there right now because it is intercooled.

i have thought about nitrous... how is that?

I know very little about nitrous. I only know that for about a 1/5 of the cost, give or take a few hundred, you can have the equivalence of a supercharger. A much cheaper way to go and a lot less stress on your drivetrain, if only using at the track.

what about a turbo?

I think turbonetics now makes a turbo to fit this truck. Not sure of the availability yet. Look for the cost to be around $7-8k for the highest hp model.

who is a good tuning company?

Depending on where you're at, you may have a tuner in your local area. Some guys have done the mail order tune. Wester's Garage offers this, as well as a few others. You could get LS1 edit and do yourself. Takes quite a bit of self-learning to know what you're doing. Cost about the same as a mail order tune - approx $600. If you're in the Texas area, Nelson Performance does tunes.

and what about durability of the drive train?

Under stock conditions, probably 100k+ miles. Using a s-chgr or nitrous? Who knows? Some may last longer than others. One things for sure, I think, it will fail. Just a matter of when. We do have one owner that has had a Radix for about 11k and has no failures. All depends on how you drive it.

and what is the best exhaust/header combo

All I have done is put on ASM long tube headers and a Flopro muffler. If I had to do all over again, I would put on the header/cat system currently available from FLP. Then maybe Corsa from there back. That would run about $2k. My way was only $1k.

what is ur magna charger like?

I love the Magnacharger Radix. It's horsepower that's always "on-call" whenever I want to use it. Or, you can say that it's on-call fun. :D One of the best blowers out there right now because it is intercooled.

i have thought about nitrous... how is that?

I know very little about nitrous. I only know that for about a 1/5 of the cost, give or take a few hundred, you can have the equivalence of a supercharger. A much cheaper way to go and a lot less stress on your drivetrain, if only using at the track.

what about a turbo?

I think turbonetics now makes a turbo to fit this truck. Not sure of the availability yet. Look for the cost to be around $7-8k for the highest hp model.

who is a good tuning company?

Depending on where you're at, you may have a tuner in your local area. Some guys have done the mail order tune. Wester's Garage offers this, as well as a few others. You could get LS1 edit and do yourself. Takes quite a bit of self-learning to know what you're doing. Cost about the same as a mail order tune - approx $600. If you're in the Texas area, Nelson Performance does tunes.

and what about durability of the drive train?

Under stock conditions, probably 100k+ miles. Using a s-chgr or nitrous? Who knows? Some may last longer than others. One things for sure, I think, it will fail. Just a matter of when. We do have one owner that has had a Radix for about 11k and has no failures. All depends on how you drive it.

and what is the best exhaust/header combo

All I have done is put on ASM long tube headers and a Flopro muffler. If I had to do all over again, I would put on the header/cat system currently available from FLP. Then maybe Corsa from there back. That would run about $2k. My way was only $1k.

hey, thanks, i think i will be picking up the truck at about noon, and driving it up to houston to see my mom, i will break it in on the way up, and while i am up there... :thumbs:

thanks for all of the info guys, i think maybee i will get the new cam, converter, and shiftkit... maybee nitrous supercharger or turbos later, i am a college student, and the truck is a graduation gift, which is awesome, so it may take me a bit to find the mod money, any way thanks guys i will be seing u around.. :thumbs:

1.  new cam

2.  2600 or 3000 stall converter w/shift kit and servo change.

I totally agree with the number 2 there. The shift kit and servo deal is AWESOME! Don't forget to have someone re-program or tune your truck!!! That was my first 2 steps towards a whole new truck.

I have asked about the notion of a new CAM. ??? Dunno what kind of HP/TQ numbers you might get, though. Both Slimsoftball and BenKey say they can feel their CAM over stock. Hard to tell exactly though with AllWheel drive... not easy to Dyno...

Brent - I gaurantee you that you will feel the cam. My cam is not even that big of a cam and it was a whopping change. It is one of the most significant things you can do to change the power of your truck, in a list that is very short. One of the cheapest to do also. Could be the highest hp verses dollar spent you'll do.

We need to make you a believer. ;)

Brent - I gaurantee you that you will feel the cam.  My cam is not even that big of a cam and it was a whopping change.  It is one of the most significant things you can do to change the power of your truck, in a list that is very short.  One of the cheapest to do also.  Could be the highest hp verses dollar spent you'll do. 

We need to make you a believer. ;)

If I buy the parts, beer, steaks, and drive my little truck over to the InFamous BenKey shop between Christmas and Newyears... will you help me (more accurately, will you let me help you?) I can turn a wrench with many of the best of them... but i would be ashamedly frightened to try it by my lonesome. :confused: And the price of the tools necessary that I do not yet own would make it cost prohibitive, I am certain.

Not trying to put you on the spot, just taking you up on the possible offer??? :crazy: Besides, I need to give Nelson Performance something to tune :thumbs: when I see him on January 2nd when all the central Texas guys get together and go to the race track!! :D And I need to be able to keep up with some of the slower guys... at least.

Benkey,

What cam did you install in your truck? I am thinking of going that route with mine. Does it idle any different? I think i will get the Transgo and servo and cam at the same time. I have a good mechanic that will install it all for me at a reasonable price at his shop. I have the superchips programmer and wondered if i would need further tuning for the cam and shift kit.

Thanks

Archived