Better MPG

ctrow

I hate to sound hard core, but this is a "performance truck" not a Toyota 4 banger... I know its hard for me to keep my foot off the floor... It's just gotta be there :devil: If you want High MPG then buy a backup "Hybrid" that will get ya 50mpg for sure :cool:

:withstupid:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I average 11.5, thats driving the way I want to, in my SS. My H2 I get close to 13mpg. In my wife's Tahoe 5.3L with 22's, I can get 17, with the stock wheels 19mpg. I drive the same in all three vehicles, so I guess I'm stuck with mid 11's mpg.....

i left oklahoma last week for louisiana and been here since (for the holidays). once i got south of shreveport there was finally no traffic and could keep a steady cruise for more than 5 miles. so once i was able to do that, i saw ~14.2 cruising at 80 for 200 miles. once i got here i drove it like i normally do (conservative for some, but crazy for most) and even played with a few other cars that wouldn't have a chance of keeping up, but anyway, i've been in the pedal and i still haven't dropped below 14!!! i've been real surprised. my only mod that isn't in my sig is my new direct hits ignition. can't wait for "TUNING RALLY 2004"

i left oklahoma last week for louisiana and been here since (for the holidays). once i got south of shreveport there was finally no traffic and could keep a steady cruise for more than 5 miles. so once i was able to do that, i saw ~14.2 cruising at 80 for 200 miles. once i got here i drove it like i normally do (conservative for some, but crazy for most) and even played with a few other cars that wouldn't have a chance of keeping up, but anyway, i've been in the pedal and i still haven't dropped below 14!!! i've been real surprised. my only mod that isn't in my sig is my new direct hits ignition. can't wait for "TUNING RALLY 2004"

Hopefully we can bump that up a mile or two,

see ya soon,

allen

A hotter ignition helps quite a bit. I put a jacobs pro street ignition on my 96 and picked up 2 to 3 mpg and some extra ponies. I think better plug wires and the larger spark plug gap have an effect also.

And I'm Looking forward to the tunning rally also :cheers:

Farmtruc, For those of us who can't get to Tuning Rally 2004, I have seen a little module that plugs into the diag. port on a vechicle and will record PCM data to download to a PC. It's called a Data Logger or something like that. Have you looked into the value of one of these for custom tuning? :cool:

Farmtruc, For those of us who can't get to Tuning Rally 2004, I have seen a little module that plugs into the diag. port on a vechicle and will record PCM data to download to a PC. It's called a Data Logger or something like that. Have you looked into the value of one of these for custom tuning? :cool:

EFILive, EASE, Autotap, are all capable of doing the same thing. A data logger, per se, from what I know of them, is a little module that hooks to your ALDL connector and records X amount of data while not needing to be connected to a PC. However, the PC and one of the previous listed programs will have to have the data downloaded to them from the logger for processing and display. Of the three, I know EASE makes one to go with their program. There are probably other things out there, but these are the things I'm aware of. Most people with the LS1, use EFILive - I think.

Hopefully we can bump that up a mile or two,

see ya soon,

allen

SWEET!! :cheers:

I actually saw 15 last night on the way back. of course there wasn't much traffic on the road so i pretty much kept a steady cruise the whole way. i actually got around 16 in alexandria cause the speed limit drops to 60 so i set it at 70.

BenKey, Just short of buying a laptop, EFILive, AutoTap, etc. I was kicking around the idea of Farmtruc utilizing one of these to gather needed data for a custom tune without him or the customer making a long trip. Maybe just a tool to benefit his work(If it works). ;)

I haven't put one on the SS yet, but the TORNADO FUEL SAVER thing has always done well on my other vehicles. Added bonus - ITS CHEAP! It'll only get you a little extra, but for around $80 you can't afford not to try!

TORNADO FUEL SAVER

I've tried the tornado device before, wasn't impressed. Also saw a report on them by Consumer Reports, and they say the thing is a gimmick. There was absolutely no supporting facts proving any gains in mpg. They conducted their tests on several different vehicles of different performance levels and none were showing improvement when I looked into it. All vehicles were in good mechanical condition, and in good general tune.

That's why they sell them all night long on infomercials for 19.95, They are a joke! :nono:

Archived