Better MPG

ctrow

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't put one on the SS yet, but the TORNADO FUEL SAVER thing has always done well on my other vehicles. Added bonus - ITS CHEAP! It'll only get you a little extra, but for around $80 you can't afford not to try!

TORNADO FUEL SAVER

I've tried the tornado device before, wasn't impressed. Also saw a report on them by Consumer Reports, and they say the thing is a gimmick. There was absolutely no supporting facts proving any gains in mpg. They conducted their tests on several different vehicles of different performance levels and none were showing improvement when I looked into it. All vehicles were in good mechanical condition, and in good general tune.

That's why they sell them all night long on infomercials for 19.95, They are a joke! :nono:

they deffinitly are a joke, you can't swirl air with a big flat throttle blade in the way.

i'm from a small town south of lafayette. it took some convincing but we drove the SS. it was great, i only saw 2 the whole time though, and they were on the road. i like it that way though. makes us unique.

Biggest and only real noticable change in my SS was the tonneau cover, added 2mpg in my figures. The FIPK made little change, sounds better though. I'm running colder plugs? (NOSzle @ 200hp) this should make it worse but doesn't. :thumbs:

With 300 miles on mine I took a trip to Florida, lots of interstate driving and a chance, to analyze gas mileage. I traveled 2000 miles total and I noticed alot of similar mileage to what has been stated already. On highway, I reset my mileage avg. at highway to see just what I would average traveling at 70 with cruise, and I was getting 17.6 for 50 miles, then bumped up to 75 and averaged 17.2 for 50 miles. After 75 mph I noticed the mileage really started dipping, at cruise set on 80 it dropped to 15.2-15.5, and at sustained speeds of 85-90, I was averaging only 14.0, straight highway driving. Amazingly around town in Sarasota, I averaged 14.0-14.5, my 02 5.3 Tahoe doesn't do that well. I was very impressed with the responsiveness of the package, at interstate speeds, from 80-85 mph punch the SS pulls pretty decent, and I am used to driving an 03 ZO6. For a truck this thing really moves, surprised a lot of other people on this trip with the passing power on the interstate. At 100 this truck drives really well and stable, even my wife was impressed with the smoothness and feel at 90-100 and she hates my fast driving habits. I really like this truck alot and I just bought it two days before Christmas. Looking forward to pulling my boat with the 4.10's and 6.0 liter power.

Give me some ideas on mods mostly bolt on stuff that will make the biggest 1/8 mile and 1/4 improvements. I hope I can bust my buddies 03 Hemi Dodge extended cab four wheel drive, tonight we are supposed to race on the way to dinner. He also has the 20 inch wheels so similar packages. Motor trend tested a hemi in a standard cab, 600 lb lighter truck, and they were within a couple hundreths in a quarter, with the SS having a slightly higher 1/4 speed. I'll let you guys know the results.

I hooked up with a Dodge like you're describing with the Hemi last week, and smoked him easily in acceleration. We ran pretty close togather until an onramp on the freeway when I pulled away matching the speed of the traffic. We got out in the clear and I dusted him easily. Later we met again at a traffic light on 104th and May,in Oklahoma City, and the SS smokes him off the line and steadily pulled away after hitting second and third gear. By that time he had shut his down and turned off the road. I think I hurt his widdle feelwings! :thumbs: Let us know how your encounter went!

SuperDave

I can't get to better than 12 mpg :(

Ok I am going to have to retract this statement.

I drove like a normal human being(not fun) :D for a full tank and got 14.5 mpg.

I mean I drove very easy.....I can't imagine taking off all the time like this.

BACK TO MY NORMAL DRIVING now that I know that it CAN get decent gas mileage.

I can't get to better than 12 mpg :(

Ok I am going to have to retract this statement.

I drove like a normal human being(not fun) :D for a full tank and got 14.5 mpg.

I mean I drove very easy.....I can't imagine taking off all the time like this.

BACK TO MY NORMAL DRIVING now that I know that it CAN get decent gas mileage.

Hey, maybe I should try that.........nahhhh! One day maybe.

• 1 month later...

See about 12-14 mpg highway around here. Damn road is under heavy construction and you have to slow alot. By the way this is better than the 9-11mpg I first saw when the SS was new. However I admit I haven't used the SS too much lately except to move product(s) for the business. Also with all the construction on US 83 there is too much gravel and such. A car chipped the passenger's side windshield after it threw up a stone. I agree with others that if you want good fuel economy you'd better buy something else.

I avg around 15 all the time. I had it up to 16.8 on the drive from ATL to San Antonio, 14 hours in 65 degree temps.

My headers brought it down to 14.5

I averaged 14.0-14.5, my 02 5.3 Tahoe doesn't do that well

I've got a '02 Tahoe with 22's that gets 17 around town. And avg'd 21 when I drove it on a trip from Atl to Orlando. And I drive fast, but consistent...

my overall average is 13.4 through about 16000 miles.....most of that is from getting on it pretty good when the truck was new.....i have been seeing about 14.5 on a tank of gas, but have never even came close to the 16-18 that some of you are talking about.....must be nice

Archived