My oddyssey with the grinding noise in front end

My 04 makes a slight noise also. I have a 99 Mer Benz , ML truck with AWD and the thing is quiet. I agree with Dr Mike and think GM is more concerned about the bottom line$$$ and less about customer satisfaction. I have yet to bring mine back to the dealer knowing they can not fix it now but after reading your posts it may help if everyone puts in the complaint.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What exactly does it sound like and is it loud? I mean is it a rotational sound like a disc brake pad's wear indicator rubbing the rotor? Is it that kind of sound or something else?

Yeah, it can be pretty loud at low speeds and tight turning radiuses...

It's like a rather loud straining whirring gear noise. It has a rotational noise to it, because it changes pitch slightly as the wheels or axles turn.

It "kind of" resembles a power-steering (at full lock) groan on an older car, just deeper sounding. It's definitely not power steering related here though.

I agree with Dr Mike and think GM is more concerned about the bottom line$$$ and less about customer satisfaction. I have yet to bring mine back to the dealer knowing they can not fix it now but after reading your posts it may help if everyone puts in the complaint.

:withstupid:

Mine goes in Wed. for this same problem, the Tech said it was the steering box and that is what they are replacing. I am starting to wonder if that is it.........I guess I'll find out after its replaced.

Also, was using the Mirror heater and guess what..................craked the mirror right down the middle, thats not the worst of it. To fix it they had to order a whole new mirror and then paint it to match. Luckily they did it under warranty or it would have been about $600!!

Anybody else had electrical problems with the Radio or Driver info, both displays sometimes go out, turn the truck off for a while and it comes back on???

Just returned from dealer about the turning rubbing noise. Put my complaint in. We noticed on the test drive that when turned, the hard rubber boot (outermost one) was very binded up in the outermost 3 bellows. Believing this area could be a problem we went back to the shop and cleaned and lubed those two boots up real good. Went on another test run and it was much quieter. Drove home another 20 miles or so and got even louded than before. The tech thinks that this area is effected by salt, dirt and cold, making more or less noise at differnt times. Maybe the area we come from has an effect, such as warmer climate drivers not experincing noise as much. The tech is going to contact the regional rep as a follow up. Turn your wheels to the left and then look at the right side boot where I described. Plus these boots are so hard that they feel like plastic, esp in the very cold weather. The whole boot turns together possibly causing a rubbing sound as the bellows come together. I hope I did a fair job trying to explain what happend.The tech (who is a friend) also stated that if thats it, GM will most likely do nothing. Lets keep complaining until we get a result we are happy with.

I took my '03 in with 8000miles on it and the dealership said it was normal also. My father has an '02 denali and it doesn't make the noise at all. I am getting pissed at this noise and even more pissed at Chevy for not acknowledging it. With 11,500miles now, I am scheduling a test drive at another dealership hopefully tomorrow and will see what that service manager says, and will let everyone know.

I am also hearing a heavy whinning noise in the tranny at about 1750rpms between 40 and 50mph at a steady pace, anyone else with this noise? And forget about the vibrations i get when step on the pedal at 60mph and the rpm's climb, it almost shakes the whole truck.

For a sticker price of $41,000+ you would think it would have been a little bit better engineered, but guess $41k is sh#t to them.

Also, anyone else hearing a slight metal to metal vibration noise at 2500rpm somewhere on the passenger side? Whenever i get to 2500rpm i hear the noise but being in the drivers seat i can't pinpoint it, and when someone sits in the passenger seat the noise goes away. Any help?

Just got a call from GM customer care. Their final decision is that it is a normal. They stated that the area rep has the final decision. I then asked him how a guy that knows nothing about the vehicle tell me something is normal, the guy kept asking me where the 4X4 button was. GM sent me a letter telling me that they hope I understand their decision but if not contact the BBB. I am going to check it out......it's free. If anyone else wants to check it out here is the site www.dr.bbb.org/goauto

Rick

oh yea, GM stated they are going to close my case and note it as dissatisified

Sorry to hear all you guys are getting the "Noise is Normal" routine from GM. :shakehead: If mine gets worse I'll probably take it in and comlplain, too. Right now I'm getting a slight rotational noise on sharp turns going up into driveways and the slight drivetrain whine at cruise in the 40-60mph range. I have some suspicions about the drivetrain whine, but I want to test something before I post up about it...

Also, anyone else hearing a slight metal to metal vibration noise at 2500rpm somewhere on the passenger side?  Whenever i get to 2500rpm i hear the noise but being in the drivers seat i can't pinpoint it, and when someone sits in the passenger seat the noise goes away.  Any help?

A few have posted on here that the back of the pass seat tends to bounce/vibrate when going over rough roads. But this doesn't make sense with the RPM-dependent nature of your noise. I have noticed that the stock exhaust has a few rpm ranges where it gets raspy metallic notes under mild acceleration. Could this be your noise?

Also, anyone else hearing a slight metal to metal vibration noise at 2500rpm somewhere on the passenger side? Whenever i get to 2500rpm i hear the noise but being in the drivers seat i can't pinpoint it, and when someone sits in the passenger seat the noise goes away. Any help?

YES - this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine now.

It's done it since new. Mine only does it when it's cold, and idling around 800rpm.

It's starts off quiet, then gets loud, and goes away. Sometimes it'll come back while my interior is still cold.

Any other time, it's quiet.

I messed with the AC vents, the radio amp, the plastic shrowds around the passenger seat base, airbag cover on the dash, glovebox, glovebox hinges, and now I'm trying the B-pilliar.

to all that are so frustrated with the noise: i will send letters and file complaints to get this fixed, but only if someone does the leg work. tell me what to do and where to send it and i'll do it. i'll help to get the fix, but as long as they are saying it's normal, then they have to fix it if it breaks so i'm really not that concerned about it. that's just me though. i have more important things to worry about.

Parker8, I am curious, have you ever taken your truck in to the GMC dealer as I see you have access to a Denali as well. Are those technically identical to ours?

A1cmaw, thanks for the offer. What exactly do you need done? Do you have a connection with GM. I was also considering using the BBB process. The reason I am so worried about this is I will be really piling on the miles over the next 8 months and I already have 17,500 and the noise is getting worse as I go along. Thanks to all for sharing their experiences. Bill.

Archived