Killed my third clutch

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to see this, I held out hope for the Spec clutch... I have a Ram metallic clutch in my car, it's 500+ lb-ft but only 3800-lbs, and you wouldn't think so to look at it but it drives like a dream; I highly recommend you give a call to Ram just to see what they have to say. I know it's another 2-cents but... :dunno:

Mr. P.

What kind of pressure plate is that - centrifugal, B&B, or B&B long? And how much pressure is it exerting? You might also have to step-up to a dual disc clutch.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

what do you mean, change the rear diff gear?

i think he means getting rid of the 4.10's and get into so type of ration in the 3's. my good friend had a 552 rwhp TA with a stage 3 spec and it chattered alot. spec will tell you they dont chatter. dont they make a stage 5 clutch?

i think he means getting rid of the 4.10's and get into so type of ration in the 3's. my good friend had a 552 rwhp TA with a stage 3 spec and it chattered alot. spec will tell you they dont chatter. dont they make a stage 5 clutch?

i have 3.73s now, and i have 4.10s im waiting to install whenever i get time. honestly i dont think it should chatter, and they told me the 3 does and the 3+ doesnt. and yes, they have a stage 5 and they are trying to sell one to me. on their site it says NOT FOR STREET DRIVING harsh engagement, etc etc. and this truck is my DD :banghead: im like a mustang GT right now, i make alot of noise and dont really go anywhere :crackup:

I believe Stewart/ImpostorSS is running the same clutch. His also chatters on the initial take off. He is running a 4.56 gear though and that helps it considerably. The higher the ratio (lower number) the more slippage the clutch needs to match the trans speed to the engine speed. Going to a 4.10 or 4.56 gear will help get rid of alot of that problem. That is why big trucks use such a deep first gear such as commonly called a creaper gear. You can always get the truck rolling, but a deep gear gets it rolling with less slippage.

i have 3.73s now, and i have 4.10s im waiting to install whenever i get time. honestly i dont think it should chatter, and they told me the 3 does and the 3+ doesnt. and yes, they have a stage 5 and they are trying to sell one to me. on their site it says NOT FOR STREET DRIVING harsh engagement, etc etc. and this truck is my DD :banghead: im like a mustang GT right now, i make alot of noise and dont really go anywhere :crackup:

is the spacing right for the clutch? although our trucks weigh 5,000 lbs a spec 3 clutch should not be destroyed in 800 miles.

I've been trying to say this politely, but f-that: don't use a Spec product. A lot of the f-body guys have found the Spec falls short too, you are not the first with these problems using that brand of product. The amount of chatter you describe tells me that you do not have a heavy enough pressure plate, it's WAY too light; also 4.10s will make life a LOT easier on the clutch, but that might make 1st gear way too short.

Mr. P.

I've been trying to say this politely, but f-that: don't use a Spec product. A lot of the f-body guys have found the Spec falls short too, you are not the first with these problems using that brand of product. The amount of chatter you describe tells me that you do not have a heavy enough pressure plate, it's WAY too light; also 4.10s will make life a LOT easier on the clutch, but that might make 1st gear way too short.

Mr. P.

yes i know lol, everyone says the same thing about them.... all the SRT and cobalt guys hate them too. and i do have an 11 lb flywheel, and i got the lightweight option on the pressure plate, its billet aluminum. that thing did rev so fast it was rediculous, and it pulled WAY harder than our Z06 with 480whp. the aeroforce said 11.7 with a no-spin launch on 24s :ughdance: i put up with the shitty chatter simply because it ran SO hard. i could be in 2nd, even 3rd going like 50 (if IATs were good) and loose the back.

i have different gear ratios than the conventional f-body trans....

F-body SSR

1st: 2.66 2.97

2nd: 1.78 2.07

3rd: 1.30 1.43

4th: 1.00 1.00

5th: 0.74 0.84

6th: 0.50 0.57

...i do have an 11 lb flywheel, and i got the lightweight option on the pressure plate, its billet aluminum. that thing did rev so fast it was rediculous, and it pulled WAY harder than our Z06 with 480whp. the aeroforce said 11.7 with a no-spin launch on 24s :ughdance: ...

:eek::eek::eek: oh. my. god. I knew it would run good, but had no idea it would be that fast. Screw the FI, I'm thinking this is going to be my next mod after I get longtubes.

whats gunna be your next mod, a POS clutch LOL? :jester:

:lol: Hmmm, lessee - one the one hand rebuild the 4L60E every year, on the other hand install a new clutch every year; decisions, decisions...

Dude they make clutches to harness big diesel torque, you cannot convince me that there isn't something out there that will work. Totally blows that you've had to go through all this failure though, I'd be sick (as I'm sure you are). My advice is B&B or B&B long-style, I've never had good luck with any diaphragm or centrufigal clutch. Oh, ever tried shifting a Centerforce clutch at 6500-rpm?!!!

That's pretty deep ratios in that tranny, does first feel like a granny gear?

Lunch calls -

no its all squirmy and all over the place in first lol. it used to feel like that, back when my SSR clutch was slipping full time, at anything over 70% throttle. i know there are clutchs that will hold, but not for my daily driver needs. and i shift at 6900 rpm, and its actually quite easy :P

i did the same thing.... after my third (FLT V) tranny started to fail, i just said f' it, lets toss the slushbox! it was cheaper than an 80e, and WAY cheaper than a built 80e. and nobody has any idea its that fast, thats whats so fun about it :D shes my little bottomless moneypit torque monster :jester: