Killed my third clutch

well as some of you know, i have been having clutch problems since day one. i burned up an SSR clutch pretty quick in 2k miles, (got another) and it slipped under WOT (never made more than 450whp) and lets not even talk about its launching abilities :( so i figured, hell lets go all out, borderline race clutch! so i called spec, and got a two piece flywheel (nicest they had) and a stage 3+ clutch, "capable of 850 ft/lbs". so i installed that, and within 800 miles......

MVC-010F.jpg

you cant really tell, but the clutch ate 1/8" into the forged steel friction surface, and is very warped and uneven. the chatter was unbearable, and it began to slip. the disc also looks to have had some contact issues (obviously :yellow_loser: )

MVC-007F.jpg

more completely decimated flywheel pics

MVC-004F.jpg

MVC-003F.jpg

MVC-002F.jpg

and for the critisizers..... it was broken in to 500 miles properly, and all was set up properly. my guess is a mis-machined flywheel (chattered real bad since mile 1) which caused excessive heat which caused warping and so on lol. im starting to think im gunna need an all out race clutch to move a 5k lb truck with 550+whp :banghead:

Edited by kelleyperformance (see edit history)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dam man that sucks , you need to find a clutch that can hang. i want to see a 5k launch.

haha yea right..... i had an 850 ft/lb clutch, and couldnt even do 2k. they only have one more thats higher than that clutch, and its way too ruff for the street

So basically you're saying your flyfeel was damaged since day 1 which is then eating up the clutch???

I hope you get it figured out.

yes sir, thats what i think. that bad chatter is a sign of either an imbalance or mismachined surface(s)

I hope they are going to replace it for free, because I don't think you have 850 lbs of torque and thats false advertising. Plus it even hurts my wallet to see you spending thousands on so many clutches!

I hope they are going to replace it for free, because I don't think you have 850 lbs of torque and thats false advertising. Plus it even hurts my wallet to see you spending thousands on so many clutches!

i really hope so too. but chances are, they are going to replace the friction surface in my original (prob warped) flywheel, and give me a new clutch disc..... sad thing is, they are probably even gunna charge me for that, and its still gunna chatter. i am a spec dealer, so i really hope they would just replace the clutch at least for ME lol.

Man that really sucks. Still, if you get tired of that trans, you can always drop it in my truck!

ya ill think about it..... :wtf::D

Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt clutch chatter with high performance clutches normal?

I used to have a '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo ... massive turbo/fuel/intercooler that put down 487HP to the wheels on 110 race gas.. ran a 11.4 @132 mph (severely traction limited) and I remember my clutch chattered like crazy when starting from a stop. The guys who worked on my car (Road Race Engineering) had told me every race clutch will chatter because it slips less and just grabs... he told me the less 'pucks' the more chatter and less smoothness. I dont remember the rest of it, but I am just going off of memory and not any type of real knowledge... lol.

I think you need to get a Semi truck clutch.. those guys pull shit loads of weight and have 1500-2000ft lbs of torque.. hahahahah

yes, most racing clutches do chatter; these clutchs arent supposed to tho, and spec said it wouldnt and shouldnt...

and although that semi thing is funny.... i had a semi truck clutch shop make me a clutch disc from my old SSR disc, with the same material they use on semis. but it still slipped b/c the GM pressure plate doesnt have enough clamping force :banghead:

Edited by kelleyperformance (see edit history)

I know the RAM SRT-10 RC's have manual trannys (T56?) so what type of clutch/pressure plate/flywheel are they using? Some of those guys are supercharged running like 600-800HP and their clutches hold up pretty well. Is it because they weigh less than an SS? (not by much though)

There has to be some type of GM pressure plate that they use in the manual Allison trannies or something that you could use I would think...

I know the RAM SRT-10 RC's have manual trannys (T56?) so what type of clutch/pressure plate/flywheel are they using? Some of those guys are supercharged running like 600-800HP and their clutches hold up pretty well. Is it because they weigh less than an SS? (not by much though)

There has to be some type of GM pressure plate that they use in the manual Allison trannies or something that you could use I would think...

yea they have a form of the t-56, but its honestly very different. the clutch is also different, and does hold up fairly well. however, they dont hold on the s/c'ed SRTs for very long, if at all. i couldnt use that clutch anyways. GM has a manual that goes with the duramax, its a monster.... the ZF. unfortunately none of that stuff is the same either