drop leafs or drop hangers?

Holty

I've heard conflicting info from two different reputable sources that its best to go with one or the other. One source said to stick with hangers as they will give you the most "stock like" ride and load carrying abilities. The other source says do the leafs as they will not affect pinion angle and keep from having rear end vibrations. What should I do?

I only want another inch or two drop as i already have 2" drop shackles installed.

However, i do have Hotchkis sway bars installed already so if doing either drop leafs or drop hangers will require me to remove the sway bars than i'll just live with the current ride height.

Someone please school me here, thanks.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think both of those statements are pretty correct holty. i think the leafs ride stiffer and affect load capacity some but do not really affect pinion angle whereas the hangers more likely affect pinion angle but keep stock load and ride characteristics. at least this is what belltech told me.

hmmm, interesting rivierakid. i wonder though, when using the hangers and axle shims could i get the best of both worlds? have a lowered truck, correct or atleast very close pinion angle, and stock ride.

I wonder about the sway bar. Did you have to go with different links if you go below 2"? I thought I read that somewhere on the site. I wonder which is best. Hangers and shims or leaf? I've got shackles but plan to go with a 3" leaf drop to get a little lower. Post updates if you find out anything.

I went with Hotchkis 4" Lowering Leaf Pack With Special Carrier Bearing Bracket, Transmission Spacer, Shims And Polyurethane Bump Stops Are Included With Each Spring Set. #2403. Its a

kit it has everything you need, been up to 130mph and no problems

hope this helps

good luck on your mod

ps I have swapbars also you just have to order a set of lower dog bones from hotchkis and you can keep your bars

here is how it sits 2/4

TruckRRC.jpg

I went with Hotchkis 4" Lowering Leaf Pack With Special Carrier Bearing Bracket, Transmission Spacer, Shims And Polyurethane Bump Stops Are Included With Each Spring Set. #2403. Its a

kit it has everything you need, been up to 130mph and no problems

hope this helps

good luck on your mod

ps I have swapbars also you just have to order a set of lower doglegs from hotchkis and you can keep your bars

thats the kit im gonna use when i drop mine too :thumbs: how did you lower the front?

Edited by 12'SROCK (see edit history)

thats the kit im gonna use when i drop mine too :thumbs: how did you lower the front?

here is want I did

Hotchkis Performance Front And Rear Sway Bars #2231 - Bellteck 2" Lowering Spindles #2508 - Hotchkis 4" Lowering Leaf Pack With Special Carrier Bearing Bracket, Transmission Spacer, Shims And Polyurethane Bump Stops Are Included With Each Spring Set. #2403.

Bellteck Nitro-Active Shocks Front#10018 - Rear#10572.

as far as the sway bars i know there was some confusion about this before when tybrne was doing the last gp on the hotchkiss bars.

if i remember right you could use one style in the rear for 0-2 inch drop...then there was another kit for a 2-4 inch drop. i know that i called hotchkis because after i ordered my sways i switched drops from 2 to 3+ and they said that the links were ok which they were. i got the kit that was the 2-4 inch drop apparently.

but like shakesvho said you could always just get different dog bones holty whatever you decide.

that is probably more confusing than ever but thats how i remember the last gp going.

Edited by rivierakid (see edit history)

here is want I did

Hotchkis Performance Front And Rear Sway Bars #2231 - Bellteck 2" Lowering Spindles #2508 - Hotchkis 4" Lowering Leaf Pack With Special Carrier Bearing Bracket, Transmission Spacer, Shims And Polyurethane Bump Stops Are Included With Each Spring Set. #2403.

I'm almost afraid to ask how much all that cost from Hotchkis. I know their drop kits, etc. are not cheap. I remember looking at their site for a kit for my El Camino and thought to myself, they're crazy! :crazy:

here is want I did

im gonna get the same exact thing :thumbs: how do you like it?

I'm almost afraid to ask how much all that cost from Hotchkis. I know their drop kits, etc. are not cheap. I remember looking at their site for a kit for my El Camino and thought to myself, they're crazy! :crazy:

you could get it cheaper from summit racing, they carry a lot of hotchkis products :thumbs:

josh i have hangers and shackles, i only went to the higher setting on the hanger though. so i would be 1 more inch lower than just the shackles would give me. i did measure my pinion angle after i did this and it was way off. like 8-9 degrees off whcih gave me a horrible vibration when on the gas going from 65-75. so i got 6 degree shims and the problem went away and i measure again and i was about 2-3 degreees off which is ok. not 100% perfect but not enough to notice a difference. my truck never bottoms out unless i have a full cab and a loaded bed and even then with the beltech bump stops in the rear it makes it alot softer then the sxle comes in contact with them. i dont know if i lost any 1/4 mile time but when i launch only my front wheels spin bad but i think thats going to happen no matter what.

the sway bars will need new dog bones/ end links they will be a bit shorter. i ordered my sways for a 4 inch drop so i could get the right end links. but you can definatley keep them .

josh i have hangers and shackles, i only went to the higher setting on the hanger though. so i would be 1 more inch lower than just the shackles would give me.

That's what I was going to say. If you want more drop in the rear, why not just do the other setting?