drop leafs or drop hangers?

Holty

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have hangers/shackles in the rear along with the 14bolt which really thru my pinion angle off. i put i believe 3* shims in the rear and now my pinion angle is where it needs to be. ive taken the truck up to around 150mph [around 6k in 5th gear and still pulling] i had no vibration what so ever. personally i would stay away from leafs since they change the load and the ride. for a nice truck like yours i would do hangers. if i was doing an all out handling machine then i would consider the leafs. again you can have driveline vibrations anytime your pinion is off, hell some times from the deal its off

That Hotchkis kit 2403 says its for 2wd only, will it work on the rear of my AWD? i obviously don't need any parts for the front as i'm good in that department.

The 2WD lowering kits will not work, those guys have the 2-piece steel drivelines and you don't need to buy the relocated carrier bearing. Lowering the rear of the 2WD trucks has proven a lot more forgiving on the geometry & pinion angle & vibration over us AWD guys. If you use a different set of front spring hangers you will need shimming and a lot of it, Chase and I had the same exact problem with the pinion being so far off.

AFA the hotchkis kit, yes it is universal 2WD/AWD will not matter; the difference is the length of the dogbones/drop links.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

i think i'm going to stick with hangers. i guess i have to buy a whole kit to get them though unless someone can point me in the direction of a place that sells AWD hangers only. Also, now what part # for edelbrock shocks do i need for a 3-4" drop? currently i have stock height edelbrocks but will need the lowered versions.

i got my DJM kit for like 170 bucks. all powdercoated a grey dirt looking design. also comes with uthrene squeaky bushings. UGH....but you can then sell your rear shackles and make up the difference

Alright, so just to summarize, looks like all i need is a set of hangers, some 6* axle shims which i can get at summit, and some new rear edelbrock shocks for the rear only. anybody know which shocks i need?

Well it seems like we are all fighting the same battle. Here is an idea and feel free to shoot it down. What if a guy went with hangars and shackles with the spring eye mounted in the top hole of the hangar allowing the complete drop that we are all looking for. Then went with longer U bolts and doubled up with 6 and 2 or 4 degree shims in order to get the correct pinion angle since the 6 degree doesn't quite cut it? This would make it a total of 8 or 10 degrees of shim and ideally eliminating all vibrations. Thoughts? :confused:

Matt

Well it seems like we are all fighting the same battle. Here is an idea and feel free to shoot it down. What if a guy went with hangars and shackles with the spring eye mounted in the top hole of the hangar allowing the complete drop that we are all looking for. Then went with longer U bolts and doubled up with 6 and 2 or 4 degree shims in order to get the correct pinion angle since the 6 degree doesn't quite cut it? This would make it a total of 8 or 10 degrees of shim and ideally eliminating all vibrations. Thoughts? :confused:

Matt

that would be very unsafe, no need for longer u bolts but stacking shims is no bueno. i think you can find 8 degree shims but imo when the axle sits at that much angle on the driveshaft it can move. but like i said as long as your within a couple of degrees of prime your good.