Weird front end vibration

Just recently I've started having a really weird front end vibration. It seems to only happen after I get on it, then coast... and even then only on certain types of pavement. The steering wheel shakes violently back and forth, almost like I had a blowout, but nothing is wrong when I check everything out under there. The tires are all still balanced correctly, air pressure is fine, tread is wearing evenly, nothing is loose (first thought was ball joints and tie rod ends). Free alignment check is still within specs...

I'm going to try spindles to get the steering geometry back to stock since I lowered with torsion springs/keys, but it's weird that it only started happening within the past couple of months and I've been at this height for over a year without any problems. Any other ideas? Anyone else lowered with torsion bars/keys that does this at all???

Front diff. Check it. AWD does add those extra problems.

I've checked the front diff as best I can without pulling it. Lash seems correct and the pinion has no wobble. The seal is still in good shape with minimal oil seep, which is usually the first sign of abnormal pinion wear/movement.

I'm pretty sure I'm running into some sort of weird bump-steer situation as I just had it happen under constant load. Moving forward with the spindles...

What about wheels weights coming off(the sticker type)? I've got to have mine checked because it's shaking a bit so I'm thinking maybe a few came off :dunno:

The weights are still there. I even had them checked on a machine to make sure they didn't need to be rebalanced (low quality tires sometimes go out of balance) and everything checks out fine there.

You may want to try new front CV axles first. Worn out inner CV joints will vibrate during decelleration.

It did not look like you mentioned hitting your brakes. But if your hitting your brakes warped rotors or even a caliper that may be sticking can cause bad vibration problems.

Nope, those aren't it either. Under power or decel doesn't matter. I'm going back to the alignment shop to triple check the camber and toe. I gave it 1 degree of toe-out and it improved, but didn't go away entirely. I've also ordered a steering stabilizer that will help... along with a lot of other parts to rebuild the way Chevy engineered a few things suspension-wise. Time for the first 1G cornering SSS!!!

My truck is doing the samething. It started after I his a very bad bump in the road. I've had the wheels rotated and balanced and an alignment done, but it's still there.

My truck is at stock ride height and has the stock wheels. When it happens I have to slow down so that the vibration goes away. It's like the front end of my truck is going to

fall apart.

hey my truck with 24s is doing the same thing did you ever find out a fix?

i assume you have the stock 20s?

thanks

I have Centerline Zoom wheels pictured in my sig on shorter 275/45/20 tires.

My fix right now is to put a steering stabilizer (single) on the main pitman arm (going on this weekend). I'll do that initially before making my other changes to let you guys know what's going on. For heavier wheels, I would go with a double stabilizer though... stay tuned.

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Just FYI, I got the Skyjacker single shock stabilizer put on and the vibration is gone gone gone!!! I purchased the one for an AWD with 4" lift because it was the cheapest, but then had to cut/weld the mounting bracket to clear the stock lower A-arm, which wasn't a big deal at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if you all figured out your problems with the vibrating steering but i took mine in to the dealer and apparently a woman service rep told me that her Denali also had the same problem and it was her steering shaft? apparently it looses the grease after a while and it starts to vibrate when turning or hitting a bump. They greased mine up and it was fine for a month or two. I took it back and they told me that a new re-designed shaft was released and they will replace the old one as soon as they get one in. anyhow, i had mine replaced about 3 months ago and so far so good. It's a known defect (at least the service center here in hawaii knows about it) so i would definately go to your nearest dealer and get it replaced.... it hasn't killed anyone yet so i doubt that there will be a recall anytime soon! good luck!

I'm not sure if you all figured out your problems with the vibrating steering but i took mine in to the dealer and apparently a woman service rep told me that her Denali also had the same problem and it was her steering shaft? apparently it looses the grease after a while and it starts to vibrate when turning or hitting a bump. They greased mine up and it was fine for a month or two. I took it back and they told me that a new re-designed shaft was released and they will replace the old one as soon as they get one in. anyhow, i had mine replaced about 3 months ago and so far so good. It's a known defect (at least the service center here in hawaii knows about it) so i would definately go to your nearest dealer and get it replaced.... it hasn't killed anyone yet so i doubt that there will be a recall anytime soon! good luck!

Totally different problem. The steering shaft clunk/noise is well documented on this site and others, and doesn't cause the shaking of the steering wheel and vibration while driving straight like this did. The shaft only has a noise when turning the wheel, usually at low speeds.

I had a similar front end vibration in my truck at the beginning of the year. Mine started as you described with the front end vibration when slowing down. Within a day it progressed to an obscene noise so I pulled over and had the truck towed to the shop. The front right hub assembly was coming apart. Replaced that and things were solid.