Well it finally happened to

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

increased power finds tranny's weak spots. so how many miles under the 370 did it take to pop this one? it took 1k for the 408 to pop the Liberty t56

dont say stuff like that!! :eek::smash:

Edited by kelleyperformance (see edit history)

With all the power your putting down I'm surprised you haven't done the 80 conversion yet. sorry to hear the bad news. I'm dreading the day I have to post about the trans letting go. :cry: Get that torque monster fixed and hit the track. I can wait to see what 1/4 times it puts down.

i dont think ill do the 4l80 if its ever possible i will do the 6l80 the minute its possible. the rebuild wont cost me much because im in pretty good with the toy shop. only thing that might cost me is a PI converter. but i know i wont spend more than 1500 on the tranny and converter.

i got about 2000 miles on the trans with the 370 , it hsowed no signs of failure. and i never did go wot. maybe like 3/4 but never wot. still waiting to be tuned and have one other mod before that. i never even tried to launch it.

wow you have discipline.... drive something that you know has way more torque than it should, and keep it out of WOT for 2k miles. when i build a new motor im DYING before i even get to 200 miles lol. :thumbs: to you my friend :jester:

I guess my question is 'why' didnt he drive it WOT for 2k miles?? lol ... the motor was already broken in, tranny showed no signs of failure, :confused::confused: I would have at least went WOT to see how hard it pulls.. maybe not launched it just yet, but at least did a quick pull in 3rd on the freeway since it wouldnt require hard shifting...

Why did you never go WOT chase?? Afraid the tranny would implode?

no its not tuned right for the new motor i have a tune from the old motor just getting me by. the afr is almost dead on but not perfect. not to mention the timing isnt up to par. i can use alot more . im also having some belt slip problems that will be resolved. but until i get it the belt slip taken care of it wont get tuned. i need all the bost there for when i hit the dyno and hit it with the 150 shot.

i dont think ill do the 4l80 if its ever possible i will do the 6l80 the minute its possible. the rebuild wont cost me much because im in pretty good with the toy shop. only thing that might cost me is a PI converter. but i know i wont spend more than 1500 on the tranny and converter.

i got about 2000 miles on the trans with the 370 , it hsowed no signs of failure. and i never did go wot. maybe like 3/4 but never wot. still waiting to be tuned and have one other mod before that. i never even tried to launch it.

i talked to the trans tech at woods a couple weeks ago about the 6l80e swap into my truck and he said that they were junk and to wait a little till they got the bugs worked out of them

i talked to the trans tech at woods a couple weeks ago about the 6l80e swap into my truck and he said that they were junk and to wait a little till they got the bugs worked out of them

id like to know why they are junk , i havent read of hardly any failures yet.

just ordered my PI 10.5 triple disc 3000 stall converter. rated to 1600 hp so i think this one will last.

just ordered my PI 10.5 triple disc 3000 stall converter. rated to 1600 hp so i think this one will last.

Chase- that is one badass converter.. and they arent cheap. But you are basically putting a 1600hp capable converter in a tranny that is probably only good for 30-40 1320 passes at around 500-600HP MAX. If you get more than that, or are running more HP, then you are just straight lucky.

I personally wouldnt be buying an expensive converter just to throw in a 60E.. if and when that 60E blows again with all that power, it will probably take your converter with it... even if it doesnt, who knows if metal pieces will be in it when the tranny blows up unless you cut it open, and who wants to re-use a converter if it has been in a tranny that blew up.. i wouldnt.. it could possibly kill the new one.

To each his own, but I think you are wasting your money in the long run bro.. if i was in your position I would park the Truck, drive the Camaro since its a reliable DD, and save up until I could get the coin to do it right and go for the 80E swap IMO.

Edited by punkt71 (see edit history)

HAHA, dude that's the same verter I have in my truck!! What verter did you have in there before? It felt sooooo weird driving it for the first time. Wasn't used to reving it that high just to start moving. People are like..."you flooring that thing...why is it going so slow?". Now that I am used to it and know when it shift and how it handles I like it. I was gonna tell you I have a brand new yank 2600 sitting in my garage but I see your stalling it up higher than that.

I'm with the rest of the guys and think you should get the 4L80E. Even if the 60E doesn't break on your first pull with nitrous it won't be long until your pulling it again. I'd upgrade now and forget about it.

You still gonna be able to make it to the GTG?? doesn't sound like it now!

Edited by Spoolin (see edit history)