Well it finally happened to

Do not go with a 700r4! They are almost identical in hard parts as the 4l60\5...... Stop pissing in the wind chase.. You must have a friggen Money tree... anytime you wanna see how bad a 4l80 first gear is ..let me know.. i'd be happy to pull multiple truck lenghts on you. :P..... Call W2W and make it happen..... Thats the only company that will do it.. (unless you have a friend...)

I know plenty of very high HP drag cars with 700R4's that are just fine. If you want a 3 speed, I have a Turbo 400 you could have!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah it would just suck though with the 4.56 in both diff's . even more cash. i honestly dont have the money for the swap right now. but if i did do the swap it would take me a while because i would sell my entire motor blower setup to go with something insane.

can some one explain exactly what a stall does? for example a 2800 stall... does that mean the car wont move untill you are reving at 2800 rpms and why would u want that on the street waiste so much gas and launch off every stop haha.. correct me if im wrong.. im still learning

I personally wouldnt be buying an expensive converter just to throw in a 60E.. if and when that 60E blows again with all that power, it will probably take your converter with it... even if it doesnt, who knows if metal pieces will be in it when the tranny blows up unless you cut it open, and who wants to re-use a converter if it has been in a tranny that blew up.. i wouldnt.. it could possibly kill the new one.

I would have to disagree. The PI converter is a proven piece and PI warrenties their pieces. Each converter comes with a FREE restall where it will be thouroughly looked over if either a blown tranny took it out ot the converter failed. Buying the best converter only reduces the variable of converter vs. tranny failure whereas if you use a cheap converter, you have the variable of a converter and a tranny failure. I learned this the hard way.

Call W2W and make it happen..... Thats the only company that will do it.. (unless you have a friend...)

Level 10 Transmissions in NJ will be willing to do the conversion as well. I almost did it. However as Chase stated, the benifits do not outweigh the cost,...yet. $7500 is a big chunk of $$ to blow (that is what I was quoted) on a conversion.

yeah it would just suck though with the 4.56 in both diff's . even more cash. i honestly dont have the money for the swap right now. but if i did do the swap it would take me a while because i would sell my entire motor blower setup to go with something insane.

Why would you sell this motor setup ? Isnt it built to run almost 1000HP with the NOS... that counts as 'insane' to me on a 65E tranny.... I think you are running a setup that needs the swap right now or its going to be in the shop more than the drag strip

Look at that guy Parish's truck... he never had a problem with the 1st gear ratio and he was approaching 9 second 1/4miles (or did he run one? i dont remember)

No need to sell your motor/blower setup.. thats an 'insane' combo right there. Hell, you were afraid to open it up or launch it since you put the motor in, and as far as you knew the tranny was ok. Sure the tune wasnt spot on... but still... you could have let it rip in the lower gears off the line without the AFR killing anything.. unless the motor was knocking like crazy

I am no fortune teller... but I bet as soon as you get this new converter in, tune the truck, the output or input shaft is going to explode. Maybe crack the cases with it....

I would have to disagree. The PI converter is a proven piece and PI warrenties their pieces. Each converter comes with a FREE restall where it will be thouroughly looked over if either a blown tranny took it out ot the converter failed. Buying the best converter only reduces the variable of converter vs. tranny failure whereas if you use a cheap converter, you have the variable of a converter and a tranny failure. I learned this the hard way.

Okay so if the 65E blows up, and takes the converter with it.. they will replace it for FREE? I doubt it. I think that you would be screwed and have to buy a new one... that was my point. I think putting a PI converter in a 65E tranny that will be needing to hold almost 1000HP is like putting 20lbs of shit in a 5lb bag...

Okay so if the 65E blows up, and takes the converter with it.. they will replace it for FREE? I doubt it. I think that you would be screwed and have to buy a new one... that was my point. I think putting a PI converter in a 65E tranny that will be needing to hold almost 1000HP is like putting 20lbs of shit in a 5lb bag...

I would doubt they would replace it for free as well however buying a new one is not the case. They have "freshen-up" services and "re-stalls" for far less than a new converter.

Everyone has their opinion. And the way I am reading your post is that you would rather put a less robust converter in that will no doubt fail vs. a converter that will last. :confused: I am just confused. There will always be a weakest link in any project,...signifigantly reducing them is the goal. Having a converter that supports power way beyond the 65E's limits seems like a well chosen parts list to me.

I applaud Chase for experimenting with his current set-up as he has the desire to try something that many would not suggest (using the 65E). I think he will show us all that a fully built 65E will actually survive behind a high HP motor as long as the TQ is lower than the big 408's. I am sure he will run into issues however that is what this hobby is all about.

I support your opinion however have my own. :cheers:

Everyone has their opinion. And the way I am reading your post is that you would rather put a less robust converter in that will no doubt fail vs. a converter that will last. :confused: I am just confused. There will always be a weakest link in any project,...signifigantly reducing them is the goal. Having a converter that supports power way beyond the 65E's limits seems like a well chosen parts list to me.

No I understand everyone has their own opinion, very true.. just like politics and religion, which is understandable

I guess i wasnt clear on what I was trying to say.. I am not saying its not a good idea to use a good converter in the tranny ... I always believe in using the best parts possible. I was just trying to say it might not be a good idea to put a good, expensive converter in a tranny that will probably blow up and take that investment with it. I was just trying to suggest maybe take the money that is being used for the converter, and put it into something more durable, and long term.

But I agree, everyone has their own opinions. My opinion is quit wasting money and band-aiding a temporary situation, dont put expensive converters in a tranny that can handle that much power. I guess if it was me throwing 10's of thousands of dollars into something, I would do it the right way. But Chase has definetely spent a lot of $$ on this truck, and I can see he just wants to kick back on the $$ now which is a smart idea. For the money he has spent on the truck he could have bought a Z06.. lol

Not to mention he probably wants to keep the AWD because of his new paint job.. an 80E would mean the flames coming from the front of the truck would be pointless as it would be RWD... lol.. I think thats the REAL reason :jester:

I agree with Krambo and Chase on sticking with the 65E. The cost of going to the 80E is about 6000 if you do the labor yourself. That also puts you out about a month or more. Parish has broken his Level V 80E once and the stock 80E with a shift kit once, they are not un-breakable. With as hard as Chase drives his, a once a year teardown would be expected either way. I say good call on the new converter choice and good call to stay with the 65E.

well one good thing to come out of this is the company the converter came from offered to repair it free of charge and completely go throught it.

so it looks like there will be a 2800-3000 tcs stall in the for sale section.

I know plenty of very high HP drag cars with 700R4's that are just fine. If you want a 3 speed, I have a Turbo 400 you could have!

You sure you are not talking about 200R4? the tranny that the Bucik GN used?