SS Drop Spindels

BSER

Here's a new one; in the latest issue of Street Truck (got mine delivered yesterday)in the SEMA coverage section there is a picture of drop spindles for allwheel/4 wheel drive trucks and the sign on the board said one of the models available is for the SS. The manufacturer was also on the sign but i forget who at the moment.

Anybody have any idea what the pros and cons of a all wheel drop spindle would be?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was talking to my local lowering shop guy and he said those are the same ones they have been putting on 4wd tahoes.He said they work great no problems at all. Very tempting to raise my torsion bars back up and put those on so I can get back that factory ride

You and me both, so who makes AWD spindles or does the shop guy mean Torsion keys? Will be ordering the spindles in the spring if they are available. Has anyone done spindles? How hard are they to install?

I could never get the bottom ball joint to break free, after endless pounding with a fork. I think if you don't have pneumatic tools, you're going to have a very hard time doing. IMO

actually ben the hanes manual gave an easy trick to get it apart. you taked two bolts and two nuts and a bushing it all has to be long enough to reach the upper and lower ball joints. the head of the bolts go against the ball joint with the nuts threaded on the threaded end of the bolts then go in side the bushing and as you thread each bolt this set up gets taller or expands. next thing you know one pops then the other

I have heard of them but never seen them

i have always used a good pickle fork and a good hammer (5lbs) i had a lifted s10 blazer and i would have to change ball joints every 6 months. i could have all 4 done in a hour.

Try these guys. As far as I know they are the only folks making drop spindles for Chevys, and they know what they're doing. I just got mine last week and am waiting until I finish my exhaust work before I install my homemade 2/3 drop on my Avalanche (2" drop spindles and 3" Eibach drop springs).

I think these are the folks you are talking about...they took an innovation award at SEMA from Chevy for their spindles. When you call, tell them Kevin from San Diego told you about them.

McGaughy's

Try these guys. As far as I know they are the only folks making drop spindles for Chevys, and they know what they're doing. I just got mine last week and am waiting until I finish my exhaust work before I install my homemade 2/3 drop on my Avalanche (2" drop spindles and 3" Eibach drop springs).

Let us know what you think about the Eibach rear springs. I've been thinking of replacing mine for Hotchkis or Eibachs.

I really like the idea of spindles over just turning the torsion bars. And $229 isn't bad I don't think for dropped spindles. Maybe in the spring I'll get around to doing it.

Add some antisway bars and I think it would handle pretty good for a full size truck. I think Ben says he's used Hotchkis before and they worked really well.

Archived