Belt Install (3.0 pulley)

Hey guys.

The lip of my belt tensioner pulley partially broke off and the belt went with it. So I have a new belt (P/N Gatorback 4061115 111.5" (edit) for the 3.0 pulley I have on right now.

Unfortunately I am having a hard time getting this belt on. I have the routing sticker but im stuck as to why this belt wont go on easily. Any suggestions or links to other websites would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys!

Edited by SoCalSS (see edit history)

I htink you may need to adjust the other pullies.. I think I had a 112" belt because the 111.5" wouldnt fit... im not sure?

Im thinking the idler pullies are completely adjacent to each other. I mean Brian at JPA had to do it, but he hasnt responded to my pm. Man this sucks. I gotta take a picture of this tensioner pulley I removed...Its destroyed

Im thinking there has to be away to de-tensionize (dont even know if thats a word) the tensioner, but the internet has been no help...

Im thinking the idler pullies are completely adjacent to each other. I mean Brian at JPA had to do it, but he hasnt responded to my pm. Man this sucks. I gotta take a picture of this tensioner pulley I removed...Its destroyed

Im thinking there has to be away to de-tensionize (dont even know if thats a word) the tensioner, but the internet has been no help...

The belt doesn't fit even if you use a breaker bar to pull the tensioner over? Not sure what to say because I have a the stock radix pully and there was a lot of room for the belt when I used the breaker bar.

The belt doesn't fit even if you use a breaker bar to pull the tensioner over? Not sure what to say because I have a the stock radix pully and there was a lot of room for the belt when I used the breaker bar.

I havent tried a breaker bar...I was trying to use a simple ratchet...Ill see if this will work...Ill post some pictures of the pulley when and if I get this belt on

SocalSS, the belt you are using, what is the exact part number for it? the number you listed above is missing a number. if you are using a 111.5" belt, it might be too short for a 3.0 pulley. i run a 111.5 with my 2.8 pulley and its tight as all hell. also, use a breaker bar and a 15mm socket on the tensioner pulley bolt, pry down on it and have someone else slip the belt on.

SocalSS, the belt you are using, what is the exact part number for it? the number you listed above is missing a number. if you are using a 111.5" belt, it might be too short for a 3.0 pulley. i run a 111.5 with my 2.8 pulley and its tight as all hell. also, use a breaker bar and a 15mm socket on the tensioner pulley bolt, pry down on it and have someone else slip the belt on.

Ok guys, So ill get pics I promise in about 30 minutes of the pulley destruction, but the thing is I was doing this all wrong. And I suggest a belt that is 112.0" rather than the 111.5 size belt Zippy suggests. And thats for one simple reason, the 111.5 on a 3.0 pulley is hard, and i mean HARD as hell to put on. Maybe ZIppy has some tricks, but my buddy and I had the tensioner completely compressed and still had to use a screw driver to barely get over the last pulley

You will need a breaker bar like another member suggests, or just a 3/4 x 18" pipe from home depot and a socket wrench will do the trick. I finally f-ing did it and I hope I dont have to do it ever again, well until I get a smaller pulley (2.8 maybe)

Thanks to those who responded. I guess I was just frustrated at not being able to get the darn thing on there.

All in all it cost me about $100 (2 belts @ $35 (1 being a spare) and the pulley @ $20), and all the man hours, let alone Autozone workers are F-ing usless and know nothing. A) They didnt know what a breaker bar was, or even have them in stock B) they argues with me about my belt size even with the P/N i gave them and that my truck wasnt supercharged because Silverado SS dont come that way from the factory...I had to pimp slap the worker to get him to understand the truck wasnt stock

Edited by SoCalSS (see edit history)

Sorry I missed this post. I've put the 3.0 pulley on about a month ago. I used a torque wrench to depress the tensioner . The torque wrench is longer and easier to use. The 111.5 belt should not be that tight. I use the same belt and it works fine. I sometimes use a pin to hold the tensioner in place. It came with my radix kit to help adjust one of the pulleys. There is a hole in the tensioner plate to put the pin through once you have the tensioner depressed enough. It's hard work but not too bad IMO. How much boost are you seeing with the 3.0. I usually hit 6-7 lbs of boost. It's now time to pin that crank. My kit should arrive today.

Damn that pulley is messed up...

Dude I think that the new belt may be too tight... you may break this one pretty easy with it being that tight, I dont know.. but I doubt you will get any belt slippage lol...

And as the other guy suggested, pin your crank.. i did when I had my Radix installed. I am just surprised that you broke your pulley that quick, I always thought that it would happen to me but it never did. Hopefully it wont happen again!

not to jump this thread, holty hows your belt holding with the 2.8 are you having any problems at wot