Listen to your Doctor

vdrumright

When do you recommend to have a cholesterol test done? Im 19 years old, 165 lbs about 12% body fat do you think I'm heading in the wrong direction??? I work out regularly as well.

and Sorry to hear about that!!! I hope you make a quick and speedy recovery!

It's never to young, just go to your doctor and take a physical and have blood work done, diabetes, cholesterol can all be checked very easily and it does not discriminate between fat or skinny people. Your family history is a huge contributor also so don't think just because you are at peak physical condition it wont affect you, especially if you have a family history of heart failure or other health issues.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's never to young, just go to your doctor and take a physical and have blood work done, diabetes, cholesterol can all be checked very easily and it does not discriminate between fat or skinny people. Your family history is a huge contributor also so don't think just because you are at peak physical condition it wont affect you, especially if you have a family history of heart failure or other health issues.
:withstupid:

I'm GLAD ur still with us bro! ;) I'm going to see the doc this Thurs. Apparently my family "high blood pressure" has caught up with me too. It's kind of scary, but necessary to see the doc regularly IMO.
:withstupid: I was diagnosed with high blood pressure when I was in my mid 20s. Runs in my family, too.

Vince, glad to see you're doing better. I'm not that far behind you, age wise (40), so these stories really hit me. Just be glad you're in good physical shape or it could have been worse. Good luck. :thumbs:

I'm glad to hear you are doing better. Last year, I went for a checkup and my cholesterol was 270! I started dieting, exercising, and taking Vytorin. A year later, I had lost over 30 lbs. and my cholesterol was 154! I'm not as "strict" now as I was for the first year, but I still watch carefully. If I can do it, anybody can. Get checked, and stay healthy. :thumbs:

Yikes! Okay, that is officially scary. That crap runs in my family. I've been high risk since I was in my early 20s. I have a doctor who is fanatical about keeping your cholesterol down. See, your momma was right, eat your veggies and stop using all that salt and butter! Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Glad you recognized the need to seek help and weren't too proud to speak up. I have worked in the pharmaceutical industry for years and even worked at Johnson & Johnson (Cordis) that most likely made your stent. There is no doubt they save lives and prevent future issues. The drug coated stents are in the news again from some study performed. Don't read into it too much as your case seems to be mild.

Drug Coated Stents

Sit back, relax a while and cruise SSS.com. We are all hoping for a speedy recovery :cheers:

Edited by Krambo (see edit history)

Glad you recognized the need to seek help and weren't too proud to speak up. I have worked in the pharmaceutical industry for years and even worked at Johnson & Johnson (Cordis) that most likely made your stent. There is no doubt they save lives and prevent future issues. The drug coated stents are in the news again from some study performed. Don't read into it too much as your case seems to be mild.

Drug Coated Stents

Sit back, relax a while and cruise SSS.com. We are all hoping for a speedy recovery :cheers:

Mine is made by Vision? That's what the card they gave me says. It's cobalt chromium. 3.0 x15mm bare metal. Been working good since January for me. Hope it's the last one.

i toatally agree man , same thing happened to my dad at 41 years old but he wasnt as lucky and passed.

not even a year ago my g/f's dad had the same sysmptoms high blood pressure and semi high cholesterol , he checked his blood regularly and was getting better , one day he felt he was having indigestion went to the doctor and they sent him home saying he was fine. a day later he had a severe hear attack and also parished. i know i will pay attention to exactly what my doc says.\

btw your a lucky man.

Hey Vince,

Glad to hear that you're on the road to recovery :cheers:

and you didn't wait or second guess what you were feeling.

Good advice

Thanks

P.S. Zippy 4 is July 2008 ;)

Zippy 08 sounds good. However I will have to pass on the cheesy fries......

If your ateries are getting closed in ... would you also have high blood pressure? Or are they not that closely related? Also the indegistion feeling, is it high in your chest ( like collar bone area ) or lower or in stomach?

Edited by Big O (see edit history)

:withstupid: I get a free nose to toes physical every year through my FD, its cheap security to get checked up once in a while to make sure that I am okay. I have a bad family history too, hypertension, stroke, heart attack, heart disease, high cholestrol..........I already have cholestrol issues at 24 years old........blood pressure too(work related, hostile environment, @zzhole co-workers)