Got A New Beater

Holty

Well, needless to say, i'm pretty bummed out. I bought a '96 Maxima last night with 148k for $3600. I know the miles are high, but these cars are supposed to run upwards of 200k miles. The car is pristine and ran good during the test drive. Not spot of rust on the exterior or mark on the leather. I bought it from a little rinky dink used car dealer about 1hr from where i live. They are going out of business in about 2 weeks or so and was having a big sale. I let my wife drive it home and about 3/4 of the way down the interstate the car just died. Engine shutdown on it and won't start at all, just cranks. All lights/electrical work fine. She said the check engine light did come on but she dosn't know if it happened before or after the motor died. I have no idea what is wrong with it as i know nothing about these Jap cars. We did get a 90day/3k mile warranty that came with the car for free. It is through an aftermarket warranty company called "Cars". I hope they come through...

The worst part about all this is i just sold my bike (pride and joy) to pay for this "beater" car. My truck is not the greatest on gas (12mpg) and we needed something with 4 doors. This is the first car i've ever bought that i could pay cash for besides the first couple junkers i had when i was in high school. This sucks.....

sorry to hear the bad news. Good thing you got that warranty. You have to watch those small lots. Many get their cars from crappy auctions. :banghead:

yes, trust me, i know! i made them show me the paperwork for the trade in so i know it wasn't an auction car and i only paid them 3600 because they proved to me thats exactly what they gave the guy in trade for it so they made $0 on the car. my cousin does body work for the local auction and i've seen what they pay to have done to there cars to get them through the auction block. not good for sure.

I'm sorry to hear about that... There are plenty of people here with suggestions for you, and I'm sure you'll figure out the problem on your own soon enough...

The only jap beater I've ever owned was a '95 civic, and one cylinder leaked oil so badly that about 4k it would pump it right out the tailpipe! We fed it waste oil, diesel oil, gear lub, and a few other unmentionables and it just ate them all and kept running (for about 8 weeks). Only car I've ever sent to the junk yard still running... It got 52mpg on the highway!

Favorite quote from that car (going to RI, on I-95S at 2:30: My buddy Steve ->"Dude, it's overheating! We're almost at 270*!!! What do I do?!?!" -> Me "Go neutral and rev the chit out of it for a minute" ->Steve "OMFG, it's actually working..."

Moral of the story: Beat the crap out of them and they'll run forever...

Sounds like the fuel pump...like someone already mentioned.

For info and such... http://forums.freshalloy.com is an AWESOME Nissan forum. Tons of good 240SX info (my cup-o-tea...I'm a moderator on there)...but there is a Maxima forum.

Hopefully they can help you diagnose and fix it.

...and you will get 200k out of it, with proper maintenance. Easy.

- Brian

Edited by orion :: SS (see edit history)

damn that sux, sorry to hear that man. i hope everything goes ur way with the warranty.

i know that feeling all too well. about 5 years ago we went to pick up my first car/truck. it was a 94 s10. test drove it and everything was fine. on the way home, car just died. had it checked out the next day and the block had cracked. and we DIDNT have a warranty. i had it less that an hour and it already needed a new engine, now THAT is a beater

Heard from my mechanic last night, the car started right up and drove fine for him. He could not get it to quit or act up. This ****ing sucks. Now i have a car that i have no idea if it is going to run or not at any given time. On top of it all, i forgot my keys for work at home today, i was late for work, and found out my cousin who is the exact same age as me (28) has cancer. Her and I grew up together and now this bullshit happens all in one week. ****

since it wont start...sounds like a timing belt...ricers are known for that....
this ricer has a timing chain, not belt.