Dyno runs from my 04 SS

Finally got a chance to put my 04 SS on the dyno last night. I did many runs trying different things. First I fine tuned the program I had already had in my truck that I had been doing street testing with, dyno run 4 is the the final tune. Then I loaded the stock program to get a baseline and that is dyno run 5. I then had a ported throttle body to try (dyno run 6) and for dyno run 8 we put on a K&N intake tube from a friends 5.3 truck. The only other modification to my truck is a Magnaflow muffler in place of the stock muffler.

Here are the dyno graphs

Dyno run of final performance program vs stock program

This is the final performance program vs the stock tuning

Stock TB vs Ported

This is the stock throttle body vs ported TB

Stock air tube vs KN

This is the stock air intake vs a 5.3L K&N air tube that we "borrowed" off of a friends 03 5.3 truck for testing.

Assuming a 20% drivetrain loss for an automatic vehicle and the AWD transfer case the 345HP the truck came with at the crankshaft should be 276 at the rear wheels. With the Magnaflow mine came in at 293 at the wheels or 366 at the crank. I don't think the muffler alone was worth 21HP in all honesty, but in fact think the 345 hp rating from GM is slightly underrated. I could feel the difference with the muffler, and would estimate 10HP in gains.

With the finished program I made 325 to the wheels or 406HP (Z06 power :) ) at the crank or 40HP in gains.

Adding the ported Throttle body only took the HP up 1.5HP but did add 6 ft/lbs of torque. I look for this to be more beneficial when I do heads and cam.

Adding the borrowed K&N tube took the truck up 7 more HP to a final 333 at the wheels or 416 HP at the crank. That is up 50HP over the stock program setup with the Magnaflow, or 71HP over the stock advertised 345. You can definately feel the difference in the truck and as many have stated the truck is very detuned as it is off the showroom floor.

I will check the post as often as I can to answer any questions.

Later,

Bryan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

Yes, we did pull the front driveshaft and had no issues at all.

Thanks,

bryan

I was all ready to pull off my front driveshaft and run my truck on the Dyno, but I was told from GM tech and other creditable sources that it will damage the drive train......

Let me know if you have any issues, I'd love to see what kind of HP my truck is not turning.

:confused::confused:

great info, that's some good dyno info!

Definately let us know if there are any problems by dynoing with the driveshaft revmoved.

what did you change in the program??? did you use ls1edit???

I'm assuming more timing and putting the a/f ratio to around 13.1:1. did you run a wideband??

We did 8 runs with no drivetrain issues at all. I have also dyno tuned an AWD supercharged Escalade on the same dyno with no issues and he has drive 5K miles since the tune. I do tune with LS1 edit and we do have a wideband O2 on the dyno. Torque peak a/f was 12.9 and HP peak a/f was 13.1

Timing makes a big difference in these trucks. The stock program is so weak you could run 87 octane all day long with no issues at all. Since we are all running 92/93 I figured it was time to tune it to that :)

Later,

Bryan

I added up to 9 degrees in many areas and up at the very top of the power band up to 12 degrees. GM really laid off of the timing up top, it almost looks like they did it to keep someone from putting the truck in a gear manually and trying to rev up to the limiter by killing the power significantly.

I added up to 9 degrees in many areas and up at the very top of the power band up to 12 degrees. GM really laid off of the timing up top, it almost looks like they did it to keep someone from putting the truck in a gear manually and trying to rev up to the limiter by killing the power significantly.

Also notice the how weak the timing is at take off. This would explain why the SS's don't feel as strong as they should during a launch. The low timing up top and bottom saves the transmission and driveline from the shock and torque the engine produces. Plus, it gives for a smoother ride and shifting. Which none of us like, hahah.

These HO 6L's produce some awesome numbers. If you think about it, you're starting off with more cubic inches than a vette, then add the LS6 style heads, that's a great combo for big numbers.

I've seen in excess of 400hp from a stock SS. It's all in the tuning.

I guess starting out with a detuned PCM allows GM to increase their HP ratings each year.

later,

allen

Archived