The United States Of Toyota

my friend drives an accord which cost just about the same as my impala but came with only basic options, a 4-cyl (34 mpg's), and hub caps.

my impala V6 (31mpg) came fully loaded power everything heated leather seats, bose stereo, ipod jack, alloy wheels, spoiler, folding rear seats, steering wheel controls, and more if i think about it... my point is even he remarked on how well built it was and could'nt believe it cost the same as his honda. he then mentioned that he just test drove a lexus and that the impala felt like that on the inside and drove just as nice but for $10k less (of course the lexus would probably out handle my impala in the corners though).

i dont know how much an impala costs but im sure it isnt 10k less than a loaded honda accord v6. i just bought one 9 months ago for 28k out the door. your numbers are way off here.

here's your loaded impala.

2008 Impala LTZ

LTZ

Starts at $27,515*

and heres the honda equivelant

EX-L with Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™

$27,260

Edited by rivierakid (see edit history)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for the person asking me why i drive a chevy?

back on track. all im saying is that it would be great if the money stayed in the us but if this is just coming to light for some of you then where have you been in the last ten years? is that gonna stop me from buying japanese? not at all. im sure a lot of the everyday and household stuff we all own or buy comes from overseas. thats the nature of the world we live in today.

You are something else. How can you weigh a household item against a vehicle that costs 100x as much? Either way you look at it, profits do not stay in the United States. I am sure that we all realize this, it is common sense...globalization. I love the debate, which car is more "American". Here are some numbers from a Boston Globe/Chicago Tribune study. GM's Domestic Parts content is 73%, as is Ford. Chrysler is 72%. Ok, now... Toyota's Domestic Parts content...48%, Honda 59, Nissan 45%. This means that parts that are "Assembled" in the US by import companies are far less than our domestic companies. Here are some even more shocking numbers. Overall Toyota has about 32,000 US workers, Ford 111,000, GM 284,000. Get the point? 70-80 of Toyota's PROFIT comes from NORTH AMERICA. So where does this go? Certainly not to the non-union US workers or to plants that produce parts for Toyota vehicles. This money goes overseas to pad the pockets of the Japanese. Remember, it was not so long ago that Toyota came into our country as the enemy, so soon we forget....

im not trying to disprove that at all. all i said was for me its more important to buy a better vehicle irregardless of where its built or where the profits go than to buy an inferior product just becuase the money stays in the U.S.

I support the U.S. as much as the next guy but as far as buying a car/truck...im gonna do whats best for me, not the rest of the world.

im not trying to disprove that at all. all i said was for me its more important to buy a better vehicle irregardless of where its built or where the profits go than to buy an inferior product just becuase the money stays in the U.S.

I support the U.S. as much as the next guy but as far as buying a car/truck...im gonna do whats best for me, not the rest of the world.

You clearly do not support the U.S. as much as the next guy but it is your money and we have in a free market economy...so you have the right to spend it how you please. But don't whine and complain about the economy or criticize GM/Ford/Dodge for laying off 32,000 AMERICAN workers at once, because it is not their fault. Everyone is always so quick to jump on the big 3 for reasons like this. I am going to post some very sobering numbers and then I am done:

-Toyota has made $16.8 billion in direct investments in North America making it the largest automaker

-Since 1991 Toyota has directly invested $301 million in the United States---where does it all go? A portion goes to building plants and employing 32,000 workers. Wow look at the profit!

You clearly do not support the U.S. as much as the next guy but it is your money and we have in a free market economy...so you have the right to spend it how you please. But don't whine and complain about the economy or criticize GM/Ford/Dodge for laying off 32,000 AMERICAN workers at once, because it is not their fault. Everyone is always so quick to jump on the big 3 for reasons like this. I am going to post some very sobering numbers and then I am done:

-Toyota has made $16.8 billion in direct investments in North America making it the largest automaker

-Since 1991 Toyota has directly invested $301 million in the United States---where does it all go? A portion goes to building plants and employing 32,000 workers. Wow look at the profit!

shame that you feel that by me buying a japanese car i dont support the us as much as the next guy. really i want to say that you have no ****ing idea who i am and honestly would love to shove my honda accord hood emblem up your ass for even thinking you know me or what i stand for simply by the car i drive. absolutely retarded. but alas your across the country in front of your computer passing judgement. you can continue to be small minded about this global situation but you have no idea who i am or what im about.

shame that you feel that by me buying a japanese car i dont support the us as much as the next guy. really i want to say that you have no ****ing idea who i am and honestly would love to shove my honda accord hood emblem up your ass for even thinking you know me or what i stand for simply by the car i drive. absolutely retarded. but alas your across the country in front of your computer passing judgement. you can continue to be small minded about this global situation but you have no idea who i am or what im about.

I think that I have a pretty good Idea of "who you are"and"what your about" I have been reading on here for only 2 weeks or so too see all of your smart ass fake intelligent responses to everyone who is not popular,or doesnt have a high post count.I thought the picture of your fat ass was pretty funny when you went on vacation.I personally wouldn't have posted a picture of my chubby self wearing shants and looking like a comlpete panzy realtor,and then tell someone "I'm gonna shove something up their ass"for telling you the truth about your fake support of America.Most of the posts I have read by you ,you are putting someone down for grammar or their opinion,I think your just a lil insecure.

So go ahead and come back with one of your witty intelectual gay realtor remarks,because I dont care JEREMY I hope you do so I can get a good laugh before bed

I agree with Kissmysilv 100%

Why dont you add what kind of floormats or airfreshener or brand and octane gas you have in your truck in your sig...you have every other pointless thing in there :crackup:

So go ahead and think real hard of the smartest meanest thing you can say JEREMY

I have the SS, a nissan 300zx and my wife used to have a honda civic. I must admit, i made one of the biggest mistaked in my life when we sold the civic. that thing was well equiped, comfortable and it was giving us up to 45 mpg on good days (hwy). I like my SS, don't get me wrong. I also like my z. it has over 200k and still running with minor repairs.

I am looking to trade in the ss for a new truck too. I went to the chevy dealership, checked out the vmax four door, but i was not too impressed. I think that the ss looked so much better from the inside. Now, I am going to regret saying this, but we then left to the Toyota dealership and checked out the tundra crewmax, 4*4 TRD and it was nice. I really liked it. The interior is HUGE! Not to mention the 381 hp that it's pushing, reclining back seats, moonroof. I hate myself right now.

sorry guys....

my friend drives an accord which cost just about the same as my impala but came with only basic options, a 4-cyl (34 mpg's), and hub caps.

my impala V6 (31mpg) came fully loaded power everything heated leather seats, bose stereo, ipod jack, alloy wheels, spoiler, folding rear seats, steering wheel controls, and more if i think about it... my point is even he remarked on how well built it was and could'nt believe it cost the same as his honda. he then mentioned that he just test drove a lexus and that the impala felt like that on the inside and drove just as nice but for $10k less (of course the lexus would probably out handle my impala in the corners though).

i dont know how much an impala costs but im sure it isnt 10k less than a loaded honda accord v6. i just bought one 9 months ago for 28k out the door. your numbers are way off here.

here's your loaded impala.

2008 Impala LTZ

LTZ

Starts at $27,515*

and heres the honda equivelant

EX-L with Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™

$27,260

if you look at my original post you replied to, the answer is right in front of your eyes. i never said $10k less then a honda my freind was comparing it to a lexus he test drove, so my numbers are not way off.

you say you paid $28k out the door for your loaded honda, i paid $24k out the door for my loaded impala.. also my friend paid roughly the same for his 4cyl accord with basic options, that was my comparison, and thats where i stated $3k-$4k less for a comparably equipped model.

i really don't want to argue with you about this but your misqouting me and not paying attention to what i'm saying.

if you look at my original post you replied to, the answer is right in front of your eyes. i never said $10k less then a honda my freind was comparing it to a lexus he test drove, so my numbers are not way off.

you say you paid $28k out the door for your loaded honda, i paid $24k out the door for my loaded impala.. also my friend paid roughly the same for his 4cyl accord with basic options, that was my comparison, and thats where i stated $3k-$4k less for a comparably equipped model.

i really don't want to argue with you about this but your misqouting me and not paying attention to what i'm saying.

It doesn't matter. If someone wants to justifty something, in their eyes, it can be done. No matter what the numbers say -- they can be toyed around with... 'yeah, well mine came with this....'

I don't see how you can say the American car companies are inferior to Taiwaneze. There are so many variables to enter in the equation. I'm a fairly big guy, that doesn't fit well into little dinky tin cans. When I look at buying a car, I'm looking at bigger cars, without the optional shoe horn to get me into it. When I can get a V-8 as well for approximately the same price, well, that just makes good sense to me.

But to be completely honest -- just the way you never looked at a comparable Impala or any other American car, I didn't look at any imports.

And, I never will. See, KissMySilvSS had it right. In the 70s Toyota came into the automarket world, and they were frowned upon. But their image changed in just over 30 years. In the 80s, maybe the American cars were not as good as the foreigns.... But in another 10 years, they may not be around to compete -- GM finally reported a profit, Ford lost money again, Daimler - Chrysler is looking for someone to buy out them. If we don't keep our business here at home, then what happens to them?

:crackup: HAHAHA, ok I would love to see that happen. I love getting ignorant people like you fired up, it makes my day. :crackup: :crackup:

I think that I have a pretty good Idea of "who you are"and"what your about" I have been reading on here for only 2 weeks or so too see all of your smart ass fake intelligent responses to everyone who is not popular,or doesnt have a high post count.I thought the picture of your fat ass was pretty funny when you went on vacation.I personally wouldn't have posted a picture of my chubby self wearing shants and looking like a comlpete panzy realtor,and then tell someone "I'm gonna shove something up their ass"for telling you the truth about your fake support of America.Most of the posts I have read by you ,you are putting someone down for grammar or their opinion,I think your just a lil insecure.

So go ahead and come back with one of your witty intelectual gay realtor remarks,because I dont care JEREMY I hope you do so I can get a good laugh before bed

I agree with Kissmysilv 100%

Why dont you add what kind of floormats or airfreshener or brand and octane gas you have in your truck in your sig...you have every other pointless thing in there crackup.gif

So go ahead and think real hard of the smartest meanest thing you can say JEREMY

ahahahahaha :crackup:

Oh my, I see this topic getting ugly very fast here. First I just want to say that article was excellent that Peter De Lorenzo wrote. Secondly. I do own a Toyota 4Runner and yes I am american. When I got my Toyota 5 months ago, I never thought of it as being an american auto. When I read that in the artical, that was the first time I ever heard such a thing. To me, the big 3 are the american autos, not Toyota.

I traded in my Chevy ZR2 Blazer in for the 4Runner because Chevy does not make a mid size SUV that is nice looking, nor holds it's value like the Toyota does. When I was looking for something new, I wasn't looking specifically for a Jap or american car, I was looking for something that had the best value over all. I wanted something that had style, comfort, dependability, resale value, best MPG and so on and so forth. I looked and test drove a Chevy Trailblazer and I HATED IT!!!! I found them to be nothing but a POS. After test driving many SUV's out there, I found the Toyota to be the best and I ended up getting one. I felt bad going with the Toyota after driving Chevys for 13yrs but got over it after I drove the new car.

Unfortunately I have been called a trader and have had people argue with me how I'm a trader because I went with a Toyota over another Chevy and just think what simple minds they have. Dont think I'm a none american because I went with a Toyota over another GM product or american built.

Oh, I also still think that GM builds the best full sized SUV's and full sized trucks. There isn't one auto maker that can come close to this. :chevy: