The Price Of New Found Power

well i was hoping it would take a bit longer but my truck stopped shifting into 3rd today and is slipping bad :( . oh well i think i will just get it rebuilt for now can't afford the 4l80e upgrade after doing the new blower and stuff

Rebuilt in to level 5 specs and hope for the best. kysilverado(Roger) on pt.net just ran high 11's with his 2003 silverado setup and his trans is still holding together. He ran those times on a stock converter also. He put an LQ4 in his silvy along with bolt-ons, a maggie and a 50 shot. When I decide to get a level 5 trans I'm most likely going with FLT since that's who he uses. I'd like to break into the 11's but I'd be happy with a low 12 sec. pass.

my trans guy said the only thing avalible left to upgrade was to the kevlar bands which i will do but it lost 3rd gear first :tear: but it does have 40000miles on the rebuild , so i will try one more rebuild already got it booked in he squeezed me in next week :D

IXNAY on the kevlar bands. :nono: Use the Alto wide red. Keeping the 3-4 clutch pack alive is the worst part of the 4L60E, go to ls1tech.com and find the sticky with the Raybestos mod (tech bulletin) that comes with their Blue Plate specials. No Alto on the 3-4 clutch frictions, use B/W carbons or Blue Plate Specials; we were able to get 8 frictions in the 3-4 clutch pack this time (hint set it up like a 700R4). 40K on a performance tranny is a long life, just know you will be replacing frictions/steels every 2-3 years as a rule in this application.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

do like mr. p said, I did a level 5 on my tran when I put the 122 in, so far so good

my tran guy gave me a full year warrant "no question ask" so if I see 40k I will be

a very happy camper

good luck and hang in there you have a hell of a setup :thumbs:

Edited by shakesvho (see edit history)

how much are you guys dropping in these tranny rebuilds?

A LOT. I've rebuilt my trans 3 times now, if you sum-up the last 3 trans builds the total is $5K. But I made a few mistakes along the way, if you do it right (and do it once) then your bill will be a lot less. My suggestion, start "collecting" parts as your budget permits. Get the aftermarket output shaft ($500); then the reinforced input shaft and drum ($250); then other hard parts ($250), then the master kit etc etc etc. Once you have all the parts then you only need to pay for labor one time. It costs $2300 just in parts to build a proper 4L60, that's not including labor or shipping; add that in, plus ATF, cooler, and converter and the job is easily almost $4K. Building these 4L60s takes $$$ no matter if you do it yourself or hire the job out to a professional, there is no way to avoid the costs of exotic materials and hardening/treatment processes.

Mr. P.

why no kevlar bands ? it had the wide bands already . and i am spending about $1500 cdn but this will only be my second rebuild

They're too hard, not enough bite and they'll slip on you. I used an Alto red wide band on a brand new drum, got 35K-miles on it over 2.5 years and have reused it 3-times now, my shift kit has always hit 2nd HARD even more violent than the Zippy kit and still after all that time still not so much as a stripe on that band, still brand new and even the drum hasn't completely worn-in yet. Great product.

Mr. P.

i have a feeling im gunna be straight F*CKED when my tranny goes... :thumbs:

That's why I only have a 3.0 pulley on my radix. Any more and the trans won't last long. Right now I can't afford a new trans but maybe in 6 months when I get my business up and running again :dunno:

When I get my 4L65E built I'm just going to go ahead and call Rossler and say "Build me a cinderblock that looks like a transmission", and have him build it up with his knowledge plus the input from the guys on what little stuff to take care of... I haven't really heard of any complaints about the rossler... Plus he's got the trans-brake! :smoker: